Independent contractor working as developmental editor on diverse range of non-fiction titles. Key strengths include: shaping content, coaching authors, creating peer review questionnaires, writing review summaries (including analyses of market potential and recommendations for content development), title and table of contents development, and managing projects with multiple authors.
Experienced in art-heavy manuscripts (photo/table/figure editing), permissions, use of Track Changes feature of Microsoft Word, Chicago/MLA/APA styles and PDF proof editing in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
Powered by Pro Bono: The Nonprofits Step-by-Step Guide to Scoping, Securing, Managing, and Scaling Pro Bono Resources, by Taproot Foundation; 2012, Jossey-Bass Nonprofit Guidebook Series. Lead Developmental Editor.
The Completely Revised Handbook of Coaching: A Developmental Approach, by Pamela McLean; 2012, Jossey-Bass. Lead Developmental Editor.
Managing Nonprofit Organizations, by Mary Tschirhart and Wolfgang Bielefeld; 2012, Jossey-Bass. Lead Developmental Editor.
Visualizing Physical Geography, 2nd Ed., by Timothy Foresman and Alan Strahler; 2012, Wiley. Working under a lead developmental editor, synthesized peer reviews and wrote analysis and recommendations in multiple review summaries.
Visualizing Psychology, 3rd Ed., by Siri Carpenter and Karen Huffman; 2013, Wiley. Working under a lead developmental editor, analyzed and implemented author changes to this edition.
Introduction to Physical Sciences, 13th Ed., 2013, Cengage Learning. Correlation Editing.
Inquiry Into Physics, 7th Ed., 2013, Cengage Learning. Correlation Editing.
- From Powered by Pro Bono:
Our very heartfelt thanks go out to Nathinee Chen, our editor, who kept the project on task and provided encouragement, advice and constant feedback on how we could make the book better able to reach the leaders of the nonprofit sector.
- From The Completely Revised Handbook of Coaching:
I am deeply appreciative of the people who read part or all of this manuscript and provided me feedback that both challenged and affirmed my thinking along the way. Nathinee Chen has been extraordinary as a development editor, and Kathe Sweeney has been the most supportive editor.
- From Managing Nonprofit Organizations:
This book would not have been possible without the patience and gentle guidance of Allison Brunner, Nathinee Chen, Alison Hankey, Rebecca Heider, Nina Kreiden, Elspeth MacHattie and Dani Scoville.
Prior Work Experience:
Copy Editor / Writer 2006-2008
Talisman Media Group, Bangkok, Thailand
- Consulted with management team on overall editorial and marketing goals for Bangkok 101, a high-end monthly city magazine and visitor guide
- Copyedited monthly issues of the magazine
- Wrote content for key sections of Bangkok 101, including hotel and restaurant reviews, book reviews and special event features
Lecturer / Corporate Trainer
Assumption University 2004-2006
- Taught Business Research Writing, a senior-level required course and acted as Course Coordinator for Business Communication, a senior-level required course
- Designed and taught courses for ABAC Business Training and Consulting Center, on a project-by-project basis. Projects included: English for Nursing (BNH Hospital) and Report Writing for IT Auditors (Siam Commercial Bank)
- Performed teambuilding assessment for U.S. Commercial Service office in Bangkok (wrote final assessment report with recommendations for improving communication in the office and reconciling differences in American and Thai work styles)
- Partnered with HR Consultants Southeast Asia to design and write material for their Executive Education workshop series
Training Projects Coordinator 2000-2004
Change Partners, LLC, Athens, GA
- Worked on design/revision of training content (including revising text, figures, tools, exercises and worksheets) for a Supervisor and Leadership Training Program aimed at area manufacturing companies. Modules included: Accountability, Continuous Improvement, Problem Solving and Communication. Participating companies included Trus-Joist Weyerhaeuser, Power Partners Inc., FiberVisions, Smelter Service and others.
- Designed, marketed and executed successful local and international seminars and conferences (Celebrating Work Teams, Athens, GA; Visual Workplace Conference, Baltimore, MD; Visual Lean Conference, Nijmegen, Netherlands)
B.A. / M.A. English Literature, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
ABD, Ph.D.,English, University of California, Berkeley, CA