Exeter, New Hampshire
2003-Present: Owner and President of PublishingWorks, Inc.
Originally started as a subsidy press for regional authors, PublishingWorks grew into a traditional small press with ten to twelve titles produced and published per year. In 2010, PublishingWorks distribution was transferred to Publishers Group West, a division of Perseus Books Group.
• Acquisition, developmental, production editing
• Production management and printer liaison
• Management of staff
• Spokesperson for company
• Presenter at outside events and workshops
• Coordinator of sales and marketing activities with sales personnel
• Publicity for specific titles and company through contacts with major media
• Establish budgets and profit margin analysis
Acquisitions of note include:
• ALICE’S ADVENTURES IN WONDERLAND: STICKFIGURATIVELY SPEAKING, by Jamison Odone, a graphic retelling of the classic, reviewed in Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, and other media;
• THE VICTIMS RETURN, by Stephen F. Cohen, reviewed in Publishers Weekly, The New York Times Book Review, The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books, and other major media;
• HAUNTED HIKES OF VERMONT, part of a series including New Hampshire, and forthcoming Massachusetts.
• QUEST FOR THE DRESS, by Nancy di Fabbio, reviewed in Southern Bride, New York Journal of Books, and other media;
• DEAD OF WYNTER, by Spencer Seidel, forthcoming, with expected reviews in Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, The New York Times, and excerpting in Portland Magazine.
• Peapod Press, Editor
Launched in January 2010 as a subsidy imprint of PublishingWorks. Ten titles were produced in 2010, and twelve in 2011 (to date).
• Writers Anonymous Meetings (2008-2010)
A monthly presentation open to the public concerning different aspects of book publishing. In 2011, we will present a two-day seminar about book publishing, past, present and future.
• Participant in New Hampshire Writers Project Writers Day as panelist
• Member of the Womens Business Center
• Member of the ABA and NEIBA
1986-2003: Owner of J. N. Townsend Publishing
Still an active imprint of PublishingWorks, with such titles as THE UGLY DACHSHUND, by G. B. Stern (in its 8th printing), and WOLF, by Albert Payson Terhune (3rd printing). The press specializes in books about living with animals. It is a traditional small press, and retains rights to about thirty titles.
1980-1985: Assistant editor at W. W. Norton & Company
Working under the tutelage of VP and Director of Production, James Mairs, I was responsible for as many as twenty titles a year, and handled editorial and production duties.
For a complete list of titles published by PublishingWorks, Inc., J. N. Townsend Publishing, and Peapod Press, please visit our web site: www.publishingworks.com.