Robert B. DeSalvo
1151 N. Fuller Avenue, Unit 1 · West Hollywood · CA · 90046
phone: (323) 798-4845 · e-mail: email@example.com
******* 2112 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90404
Senior Editor (July 1999-May 2009); Contributing Editor (May 2009-present)
Edited and wrote articles for *******, the largest and most recognizable men’s magazine in the world.
· Wrote articles (art, movies, DVD/Blu-ray, music, travel, literature, pop culture, food, fashion, technology, politics) both in the magazine and on *******.com.
· Interviewed personalities such as Anne Rice, Daryl Hannah and Dustin Hoffman, as well as the Playmates.
· Contributed my voice to the magazine by editing key features, including the iconic ******* Interview.
· Handpicked, managed and shaped the writing of a small pool of writers.
· Helped manage the editorial assistant and guide his writing.
· Currently assign, write and edit the movies/DVD coverage for the magazine and *******.com.
Movieline 10537 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 250, Los Angeles, CA 90025
Associate Editor (October 1995-July 1999)
Edited, wrote, fact checked and proofread material for this national magazine that offered an irreverent look at the entertainment industry.
· Wrote articles on a regular basis, including DVD reviews and the “Tech Talk” column.
· Manager of fact-checking department and the primary proofreader.
· Assigned writers and topics for several regular columns.
· Hired, trained and managed all the editorial interns; supervised the assistant editor.
· Worked as one of several photo editors, in charge of ordering artwork from agencies and negotiating rates.
· Reached out to performers for quotes for the "Soundtracks and Scores" and "Clips" sections.
· Managed the editorial department’s computer system (Mac and PC).
· Responsible for formatting material, applying HTML tags to text, inserting graphics and uploading data for Movieline online, www.movieline.com.
Prime New Music Monthly 230 E. 8th Avenue, Suite 200, Pittsburgh, PA 15120
Editor-in-Chief (June 1994-May 1996)
Wrote and edited articles for this local music magazine including an ongoing feature on women in rock. Helped organize the Eclipse East Music Industry Showcase and concert event¾a two-day festival involving over 40 bands at five Pittsburgh clubs.
· Managed all contributing writers.
· Involved in layout design, public relations and some advertising design/sales for the periodical.
· Designed and wrote the Eclipse East '94 Program Guide, brochures, press releases and newsletters.
· Conducted interviews with musicians, wrote artist biographies and reviewed music-demo submissions.
University of Pittsburgh Point Park University
Pittsburgh, PA Pittsburgh, PA
College of Arts and Sciences Journalism/Communications- GPA 3.55
B.S. Psychology (April 1992) M.A. Journalism/Communications (May 1994)
· Regular contributor at Fandango.com, Movies.com and NextMovie.com. Contributed freelance articles to Movieline, Inked, Contents, The Holland Herald, Blender.com, Hollywood.com and other websites.
· Write a daily blog called Disc-y Business for Movies.com.
· Proofread the book Entertainment 101: An Industry Primer by Rodger W. Claire.
· Familiar with both Mac and Windows operating systems (Adobe InCopy, QPS, MS Office and more).
· Internet savvy with some HTML-coding experience; familiar with Wordpress.
· Very knowledgeable about the entertainment industry and have established many media contacts.
Awards & Honors
Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship (1988/1989)
Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society (1994)