Award-winning, versatile journalist with hands-on experience of national newspapers, magazines, books, radio, television, media relations and corporate communications. Common-sense approach. Adaptable. Sociable. Good listener. Computer literate.
• Writer: news, features, interviews, comment and columns for more than 50 national newspapers and magazines in the UK and abroad. Two books published.
• Editor: news stand magazines, supplements and corporate publications. Role: driving the project forward, budgets, formulating content, flat planning, commissioning words and pictures, guiding designers and sub editors, liaising with management and advertising, representation at international news conferences and events.
• Chief sub-editor: national weekly newspaper. Role: maintaining roster and diary, hiring freelances, progress chasing, allotting tasks, liaising with editor-in-chief, lawyers, news editor, features editor and sports editor.
• News editor: national weekly magazine. Role: planning agenda, commissioning staff and freelance stories and photography, writing leaders, deputising for editor, representation at international news conferences and events.
• Sub-editor: national newspapers, consumer magazines, business magazines and corporate publications. Role: text editing, re-writes, fact checking, headlines, standfirsts, crossheads, captions, layouts, proof reading.
• Broadcaster: live on radio. Writing and dubbing voice-overs for television.
• Digital photographer: Events, travel, wild life, landscapes, seascapes, people, equestrian sport, motor sport.
Has worked with:
• Press: Argus South African Newspapers, Arrow Books/Severn House, Camerapix/Mohamed Amin, Daily Mail Newspapers, Daily Mirror Newspapers, HHL, Harmsworth Magazines, Haymarket, Hobsons, IPC Magazines, Inside Communications, Little Brown, Mediaplanet, Miller Freeman, Morgan Samuel Editions/Partridge Press, News International, Octopus Publishing, United Business Media, The Voice Group. (Staff, contract or freelance.)
• Broadcasting: BBC Radio 4, GLR, British Forces Broadcasting, LBC, Beacon Radio, BRMB, Thames Valley Radio, SABC, B Sky B, Visnews, Yorkshire Television, BBC Television. (Contract or freelance.)
• Work published: in Australasia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa, the UK and the USA. Tally includes journalism awards.
• Assignments: include descending diamond and gold mines as deep as 3,000 metres, crossing the Sahara half a dozen times, and experiencing chilling Arctic winters. Travel to more than 60 countries – as far afield as Africa, North and South America, the Middle East, Russia, Japan and Europe.
Newspapers and magazines written for include:
Daily Mail London
Daily Mirror London
Daily Telegraph London
Mail on Sunday London
Sunday Mirror London
Sunday Times London
The People London
Cape Times Cape Town
Sunday Times Johannesburg
Sunday Tribune Durban
The Star Johannesburg
The Voice London
Let’s Go London
Reader’s Digest Cape Town
The Peak Hong Kong
Spanish Magazine Bath
Daily Mail Ski Magazine London
Publishers subbed for include:
Argus Newspapers Johannesburg
Associated Magazines London
Harmsworth Magazines London
Inside Communications London
IPC Business Press London
Miller Freeman London
News international London
Scott Publications Cape Town
The Voice Group London
United Business Media London
Editor. Project manager. Writer. Sub-editor. Photographer. Broadcaster. Media relations.
Magazines. Newspapers. Books. Web sites. Radio. Events.
DTP (QuarkXpress, etc). Digital SLR photography. Image editing (Photo Shop, etc). Web sites (MS FrontPage, etc). MS Word. MS Excel. MS PowerPoint. MS Publisher. MS Outlook Express. MS Internet Explorer.
Art, aviation, books, classical music and jazz, conversation, cooking and wine, countryside, cycling and walking, historic buildings, history, hot air ballooning, photography, motor racing and rallying, rugby union, theatre and cinema, travel and geography, wild life, world affairs.
CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS EXPERIENCE:
• Media relations: news releases, on-event news, press conferences, photo shoots, TV news clips, mobile and static press rooms.
• Advertising and PR agencies: special events, stock market analysts’ briefings, flotations, new-business pitches, presentations, brochures, annual reports, web sites.
• Consultant editor: house newspapers and magazines.
Has also worked with:
• Aerial Display Company, Avenue Communications, Basten Greenhill Andrews, Charles Barker advertising, Dairy Crest, Extel Advertising & PR, Infoplan PR, KBH Communications, Keith Bayley Rogers stock brokers, Land Rover, National Trust, Schroders, Smee Advertising, The Brompton Agency, Worldsport Management. (Staff, contract, freelance or collaboration.)
RECENT ASSIGNMENTS INCLUDE:
Editor: compiling 57-page illustrated history of Paris-Dakar Rally car: research, writing, text editing, image editing, scanning, page layouts.
Author: Revising/re-publishing one of my physical/print books as a digital edition in a variety of formats accessible to Kindle, iPad, Kobo and other users. Also writing a parallel “how to” manual.
Editor: Researching/writing global market reviews for a business intelligence provider: 73,000 and 47,000 words out in 2008-2009, and 85,000 words published in early 2011.
Contributor: Press Gazette – “A jolly good jape for Mirror prestige”.
Editor: Mediaplanet ‘corporate money’ supplement published with The Times. 12 tabloid pages/8,000 words.
Contributor: Motor Sport – “Mirror to the world”.
Editor: Mediaplanet ‘private aviation’ supplement published with The Times. 16 tabloid pages/10,000 words.
Editor: Confidential 50,000-word, 10-part internal review for major health service.
Managing editor: VE, with contributors worldwide and read on four continents. 72 A4 editorial pages/72,000 words per edition.
Photographer: Fly-on-the-wall and portraiture digital photo shoots for medical practice; editing images for use on web site and in print.
Travel: South Africa. Feature writing. Digital photography of: wild life, seascapes, landscapes, adventure sport.
Writer: Teamed with major pollster to pitch for production of annual research report for high-profile organisation.
Copy editor: Editing/re-writing 110,000-word PhD thesis for medical lecturer.