Sarah is a freelance illustrator and fine artist based in the San Francisco bay area. She has extensive training and refined artistic abilities that allow her to work in a wide variety of styles and media. She is passionate about nature and its conservation which has inspired many of her images.
Science Illustration Certificate June 2008
Graduate Certificate Program, University of California Santa Cruz, Extension.
B.F.A. Studio Art June 2007
University of California Santa Cruz.
PROFESSIONAL WORK HISTORY
California Academy of Sciences San Francisco, CA
•Contract Illustrator for the Botanical Research Department 2009 –Present.
-Responsibilities include: Collaborating with researchers in order to create a detailed and scientifically accurate illustration of the designated plant species for publication.
•Illustration Intern October-December 2009
-Responsibilities included as above.
UC Davis Tahoe Environmental Research Center
•Illustration Intern July- September 2008
-Responsibilities included: Illustrating the native and non-native fish, zooplankton and plant species of Lake Tahoe. Completed more than 20 full color illustrations and 2 poster layouts for the Tahoe Environmental Research Center’s visitor center.
University of California Santa Cruz
•Studio Monitor-printmaking facility 2006-2007
-Responsibilities included: Part-time management of printmaking facility on the UC Santa Cruz campus.
KNOWLEDGE OF MATERIALS AND FINE ART SKILLS
• Exceptional understanding of art media available for students, hobbyists and professionals.
• Excellent communication skills and experience working closely with individuals or teams to problem solve.
• Attentive and courteous to others needs.
• Self directed and able to work independently.
• Organized and detail oriented.
•Familiarity working with all kinds of papers and surfaces from hand made, rag, hot and cold pressed to vellums and canvas.
• Classical studio training and mastery of a wide variety of art media including but not limited to:
-watercolor -graphite and colored pencil
-gouache -pen and ink
-acrylic and oil paints -chalk pastels.
• Highly developed skills in Woodblock, lithographic and Intaglio printmaking along with knowledge of the tools involved in each process.
• Practiced with designing gallery space, hanging professional art work, matting and framing.
AWARDS, EXHIBITS AND PUBLICATIONS
• ‘Margaret Flockton Award 2010- Excellence in Scientific Botanical Illustration.’ 2nd Prize for the Illustration of Clidemia longidentata. International competition, Botanic Gardens Trust, Sydney Australia.
• Merit Award in Drawing, Painting and Printmaking, Art Department University of California Santa Cruz, May 2007.
• Nightlife- ‘The Science of Art and the Art of Science.’ California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA. January 27, 2011.
• ‘12 Annual Botanical Art Exhibition’ -Filoli Gardens, Woodside, CA. June-August 2010.
• ‘Calculated Loss’ - A group exhibition of prints responding to human development, Santa Cruz, CA. September-October, November-February 1, 2008.
• Senior Art Exhibit, University of California, Santa Cruz, May 2007.
• Daniel, T. F. March 31, 2010. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. vol. 61: pg. 344.
• Daniel, T. F., and Penneys, D. S. May 7, 2009. Proceedings of the California Academy of Sciences. vol. 60: pgs. 11 &71.