I am a seasoned professional with over 30 years in publishing as a Creative Director/Art Director (mainly in the educational markets) and as a cover and book designer. Recently, I was Creative Director for Art Development for Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkens, a medical book publisher in Philadelphia. My duties involved management and creation of the company wide art development programs. I managed a staff of five employees.
Before that, I was art director for some New York publishers and part owner of a
successful graphic design studio in New York city for over 17 years. I have a unique mix of skills. Besides designing, I’ve been a published illustrator and art director for a few New York based magazines. I have extensive knowledge of print production, work in a Mac or PC environment, do page layout, type spec'ing and I am skilled in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, Quark Express, and Microsoft programs plus a few other applications.
• Cover and book interior designer as well as logo, poster, and brochure design
• Created art programs, videos, animations, and photo shoots 15% to 18% below
budget on average for the medical publisher Lippincott Williams and Wilkens (LWW)
• Co-managed the company Digital Access Management System DAMS
• Assigned art to medical illustrators and researched new talent
• With two other partners, successfully operated a graphic design firm in New York City for over 17 years that specialized in educational design, cover and small
magazine design, and miscellaneous graphic design. Clients included Weekly Reader, Pearson, McGraw-Hill, Oxford, and many others
• Responsible for the yearly art development budget for LWW
• Excellent type skills
• Designed web banners for WebTV
• Comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously and under tight deadlines
• Established a base of Indian vendors, mainly designers and artists, to drastically reduce costs for LWW
• Over time, created a vendor list of artists, designers, printers, and comps
• Authored yearly performance goals
• Art directed and managed photo shoots and video shoots
• On an average year was responsible for art programs of 200 titles or more
• Help create and manage an FTP site specific to design and art
• Created PPT presentations for training and educating company wide employees
on video, animation, and any other medical related projects
• Helped design and promote an excel based system for tracking and managing
• Reorganized and created new forms for task specific duties on all facets of art
• Published Illustrator
RED KITE PROJECT, LLC
Graphic Design Studio / Training
400 Walnut Street suite 6F
Philadelphia, PA 19106
2008 to 2009
Duties: Designing college level book
interiors and covers; general graphic needs such as brochure design
Wolters Kluwer Inc.
Lippincott, Williams and Wilkens
Medical Book Publisher
530 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
2005 to 2008
Title: Creative Director Art Development.
Duties: With a staff of 5 employees and on-site freelancers, I was responsible for creating and producing all art programs, animations, videos, power-point presentations, and photo shoots for the Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Skokie offices. I was also responsible for managing the company wide DAMS system, departmental FTP site, and for providing technical information and guidelines used in the creation and production of all art related projects for authors, editors, vendors, or artists.
In addition, I did employee evaluations, budgets, hiring vendors and artists, attending author meetings, and doing presentations advertising the art creation department.
Educational Book Publisher
1 Lake Street
Upper Saddle River
2002 to 2005
Title: Art Director / Humanities
Duties: Typical projects would include book cover and interior design, writing specs, creating style sheets, page layout, and chairing first concept to final presentation meetings.
Circa 86, Inc.
Red Bank, NJ
1986 to 2001
Title: Art Director/Part Owner
Duties: Designed and produced book
covers and interiors including type
specifications and style sheets for el-hi to college level textbooks. Designed logos, brochures, and other promotional material. Managed the day to day activities of a small design studio.
BFA from Tyler School of Art 1980
Major in Design/Typography
Minor in Illustration
• drawing and painting
• martial arts