Freelance Projects in Translation (German to English) and Voice: February 2002 - present
Translation of East German (Stasi) secret police records for the ESPN Nine by IX film series
The BMW Group: Translations of financial software user’s manuals
Prestel Verlag: Marketing translations for the Frankfurt Book Fair
Frederking + Thaler Verlag: Marketing translations for the Frankfurt Book Fair
Author Bernhard Hagemann: Book translations (“Caught”, “Heinrichs Welt”)
TMG (Tele München Gruppe): Translator for Germany’s largest media concern‘s webpage
German Films: Translator for German movie industry magazine.
DocuWare GmbH: Voiceovers for E-Learning software training programs
Accenture: Translator for technical project documentation, correspondence for high-level management
KnowledgePoint: Corporate language and correspondence instructor at major corporations.
Various: Writing projects: screenplay for Dreamin’ Dolphin Films, miscellaneous texts and translations.
Bowne Global Solutions Germany Project Manager Oct. 1999-June 2001
• Regional Senior Editor for global Internet projects with Microsoft. Coordinated/managed 7 European markets. Representative to The Microsoft Corporation within those markets.
• Project Manager for various English-German software localization accounts.
• Project Manager for Medical Industry Practices.
Andersen Consulting (accenture) Translator/Researcher May 1997-Oct. 1999
• Responsible for the writing and translation (German/English, English/German) of programming documentation and other, various internal correspondence for top management of international project team.
• Conducted research and market analyses for Global Transportation Marketing. Responsible for streamlining business processes with the implementation of a new database.
The Coca-Cola Company/ Communications Specialist Sept. 1996-May 1997
• Coordinated with various departments and top management in researching and writing Coca-Cola Company Standards for worldwide implementation.
• Wrote and designed an online Business Information Glossary and corresponding textual guide outlining best practices for international Implementation Coordinators.
• Worked together with top management in the writing, tracking and analysis of global reports and other communications. Maintained database.
• Created informational presentations for Coca-Cola’s global divisions using various computer applications.
Peachtree Publishers, Ltd. Publicity Manager Dec. 1995-Sept. 1996
• Researched and evaluated new titles for marketability based on Peachtree’s position within the publishing industry, projected sales, and the evaluation of similar releases within their markets.
• Responsible for targeting specific markets and media for maximum exposure and developing and implementing complete marketing campaigns for each new book and its author(s).
• Designed and wrote all publicity materials for these campaigns, including catalog and advertising copy, press releases, brochures, and author biographies.
• Translated Legal Rights Guide and catalog into German for the 1996 Frankfurt Book Fair.
• Coordinated author tours, conferences and booksignings.
• Co-wrote and edited Volumes I and II of The Official Report of the Centennial Olympic Games in conjunction with the Atlanta Committee for the Olympic Games.
J & M Laboratories, Inc. Writer/Documentation Specialist Jan. 1995-Dec. 1995
• Researched and wrote consumer literature for engineering firm’s customers.
• Conducted English/German and German/English technical translations.
• Designed, wrote and edited company newspaper.
• Designed and conducted employee training presentations.
Fun Language Clubs/ Marketing Director Oct. 1994-Jan. 1995
• Founded and led Marketing Division of the first American branch of this international company.
• Conceptualized and implemented complete marketing plan (researched and targeted specific markets in the Southeastern US based on demographics and developed specific campaigns in those regions).
• Created all publicity and marketing materials, including concept, design and placement of advertising, coordination of promotional appearances and distribution of marketing materials.
• This campaign, which won television and print media coverage, resulted in the establishment of this new, small business as a chief competitor in its field in Georgia.
• Taught children ages 3-11 elementary Spanish and German.
The University of Georgia Master’s Degree, German Literature Sept., 1994
• Awarded Teaching Assistant Scholarships for the duration of my studies.
• Master’s Thesis acclaimed as groundbreaking research within the field of East German literary studies.
• Requested to present original research and literary analyses at the annual conferences of the South Atlantic Modern Language Association (SAMLA), The Mississippi Philological Association and The University of Georgia.
• Received the highest scores department-wide on the University of Georgia’s Department of Germanic and Slavic Languages’ comprehensive exams.
• Developed and taught German classes, levels 101-221, while attending graduate school.
• Requested to teach at the University of Georgia’s Department of Continuing Education and Oglethorpe University, Atlanta.
The University of Georgia Bachelor’s Degree, Journalism June, 1991
• Awarded Foundation Fellowship for the duration of my undergraduate studies.
• Honors Program based on academic achievement.
• Began freelance writing career with articles published in local newspapers and literary journals (available upon request).
• News Anchor/Public Affairs staff for local radio station, WUOG 90.5FM.
Friedrich-Alexander Universität, Erlangen, Germany Program 1990
• Studied Landeskunde, literature and German political factions.
• Earned German Language Certificate.
Honors and Activities
• “Mentor” to high school student writers in Georgia as a part of the www.wow-schools.net project.
• Five-time recipient of state writing award („Georgia’s Newest and Most Talented Writers“) with work featured on international CD ROM arts database. Awarded fiction prize from www.Literatenohr.de, writing featured in various magazines and publications.
• Solicited by the Atlanta Committee of the Olympic Games and Turner Publishing for independent writing/editing projects (co-wrote Official Report of the Centennial Olympic Games).
• Languages: English (native), German (fluent), some Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, beginning Swedish, approaching Icelandic.
• Computer: Macintosh and PC: Microsoft Office, Access, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes, Adobe Illustrator, Aldus PageMaker, Visio, PeopleSoft, Helium, basic HTML, basic Trados, various graphics programs. Familiar with PowerBuilder terminology and methodology.