FREELANCE WRITER/EDITOR, Los Angeles October 2011 – Present
• Report, research and write articles for a number of travel and trade publications.
• Write SEO-driven press releases, web content and blog posts for an Internet-marketing firm.
• Write blogs for several small-business clients to use in their social-media marketing efforts.
• Copyedit screenplays and television pilots.
INDUSTRY INTELLIGENCE INC., Los Angeles August 2010 – October 2011
Alternative Energy Editor
• Built the company’s Alternative Energy news service from the ground up.
• Extensively researched the industry, including solar, wind, bioenergy, geothermal and tidal power, and built the company’s business-to-business news service accordingly.
• Created and managed complex Google Alerts account to track daily news in the sector.
• Searched for press releases and news stories (that we had the right to use) to post to the company’s proprietary web service.
• Wrote descriptive headlines – much like “business tweets” – to summarize each news article.
• Tagged each post with appropriate metadata to ensure it was properly sorted in the system.
• Covered industry conferences and expos, such as Solar Power International 2010, and wrote live blogs about the events.
• Blogged about industry trends for the company’s website.
• Worked with the social media department to increase the company’s presence on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
LONGMONT TIMES-CALL, Longmont, Colo. January 2007 – July 2010
• Covered all aspects of city government and reported on local and regional issues for 30,000-daily circulation newspaper.
• Tracked complex ongoing projects and developed and maintained relationships with key government officials and community players.
• Reported daily news stories on deadline and frequently wrote features, covered breaking news, tackled investigative articles and worked with other reporters on in-depth series.
• Wrote headlines, edited copy, proofed pages and posted news stories to www.timescall.com. • • Worked with photographers, designers and the Internet department to produce multimedia projects, such as videos and photo slideshows, to supplement the print product.
• Administered the Times-Call’s Facebook page and Twitter account to attract new readers and generate traffic for the newspaper’s website.
• One of my favorite assignments took me to the top of a 200-foot sugar silo (with no barriers between me and certain death) to write about the installation of a citywide Wi-Fi network.
LOVELAND REPORTER-HERALD, Loveland, Colo. January 2003 – January 2007
• Reported on all facets of city government, including elections, economic development, commercial and residential planning, parks, recreation, open space and transportation for 20,000-daily circulation newspaper.
• Reported daily news stories on deadline and frequently wrote features and covered breaking news.
• One assignment I particularly enjoyed allowed me to spend the night in a 100-year-old theater with a team of paranormal investigators.
Bachelor of Science, News-editorial journalism
University of Colorado, Boulder
Graduated May 2003
Minor in French
Social media marketing
Effective writing techniques
Efficient research methods
Proper grammar and punctuation