• Published freelance creative writer in various genres, including but not limited to: creative nonfiction, satire, and poetry. Most notable publication in Adbusters.
• Thirteen years as a business writer in various industries developing: technical manuals, online help systems, corporate communications, web content, RFP responses, customer surveys, marketing collateral, executive-level business reviews, and newsletters.
CREATIVE WRITING CREDITS
• Submissions Editor: Blackheart Magazine
• Orato.com: Diary of a Facebook Addict.
• Ramble Underground: Contest winner for Poetry.
• SM*T Magazine: Short story in the fall 2005 issue.
• www.mobilemag.com: Two satirical pieces for the PDA website.
• Adbusters: A feature piece in the Jan/Feb 2003 issue.
• Scratch This!: Two feature articles, one concert review.
• CIBNetwork: Essay contest winner: Human Interaction in the Age of the Internet.
• The Hotsheet: Two satirical pieces for the-hotsheet.com; an online magazine based out of
• Professor Jones: Wrote Job Hunting Survival Tips for Canadian university and college students.
1994 The University of Waterloo, H.B.A., Rhetoric and Professional Writing
MKS Inc., Waterloo
Senior Technical Writer
• Wrote and designed new technical content for MKS Deploy; a software deployment application
housed under the MKS Integrity product line.
• Tasked with updating the existing line of MKS Solutions technical documentation.
October 2003-September 2005
Desire2Learn Inc., Waterloo
Senior Writer, Team Lead
• Wrote new content for the D2L marketing collateral package using Photoshop.
• Acted in a supporting role for various RFP responses.
o Devised a template and content knowledge base for the above, from which the sales team
could leverage audience-directed content.
• Devised, created, and maintained a web-based documentation library used by both internal and external clients.
• Researched, designed and created a new suite of 10+ user and system/site administrator guides
and learner aids that support both internal and external clients.
o Updated existing guides and created new ones for each successive release.
• Wrote, delivered and updated the required ad hoc documentation required prior to the release as
requested by the client under tight (often daily) deadlines.
• Initiated, wrote, and delivered FAQ-style tool descriptions for various D2L tools and technical
concepts for use by both external clients and internal technical team members.
• Created and designed documentation to support the training of both internal and external clients.
• Team Lead for the Documentation department; mentored and guided two other writers.
March 2003-September 2003
Comtext Systems, Waterloo (Contract)
Senior Writer/Client Service Coordinator
• Created, developed, and edited Help content for IntelliResponse (a Java-based natural language
response software tool for the Web) while using the product itself as the help "tool".
• Prepared sales demos.
• Wrote and designed online customer feedback survey templates.
• Collected and analyzed data for use in senior management reports.
• Acted as a liaison between Comtext Inc. and several high-profile customers.
April 2002-March 2003
Equitrac, Waterloo (Contract)
Senior Technical Writer
• Hired to develop the system administrator guide and an accompanying online help system for the
Printer Accounting Software (PAS).
• Updated, edited, and enhanced the PrintCabinet training manual and ASP online help system.
• Created QuickStart cards (Job Aids) to explain the specific installation procedures/tasks for
various Equitrac products.
• Updated supporting PAS documentation using FrameMaker.
Jennifer Thompson, cont’d
October 1999-April 2001
Franklin Templeton Investments, Toronto
Senior Writer/Web Content Analyst
• Updated, edited, and created HTML content for the Templeton Canada intranet on a daily
• Developed, edited, and published content for Outside FTT - Templeton Canada's technology
• Created an online help system using RoboHelp for FileNET AS400 (a globally implemented
• Developed, researched, and co-produced the monthly Executive Level Business Review (ELBR)
report for the CIO of Franklin Templeton.
• Wrote the ELBR Procedures Guide for use by Franklin Templeton International.
October 1998 - July 1999
Cisco Systems, Toronto (Contract)
Senior Technical/Business Writer
• Created and designed the Cisco Professional Services Canada (PSO) website using Dreamweaver
and HTML; leveraged both existing content and self-created technical and marketing
• Wrote, edited, and compiled both internal and external documentation for the Network Utility
Service detailing responsibilities for the Field Engineering, Quality Assurance, Project
Management and Sales departments.
• Developed departmental standards and naming conventions for PSO Network Utility
• Performed a QA role across the PSO and with Cisco partners.
• Assisted in the creation and compilation of two high profile RFP responses, completed on
• Performed a data analysis of hardware reports from Cisco partners.
June 1997 - Sept 1998
Hutchinson Communications, Toronto (Contract)
Worked as a Senior Information Designer (consultant) for the following clients:
• Updated documentation and online help for eXceed and NFS Maestro.
• Created and designed user, training, and system administrator manuals for the AS400
Mutual Fund Applications system.
Jennifer Thompson, cont’d
• Created and designed intranet-based HTML online help using the print source.
CIBC Wood Gundy
• Updated and organized PeopleSoft documentation for their HRMS system.
• Created a documentation inventory for the HRMS project.
• Created a naming conventions standard, re-organized the documentation library, and
created standard documentation templates and documentation.
• Lead writer for the Royal Bank Learning Network Cardholder Services system rollout.
• Designed and created user manuals and job-aids for use by CSRs during the
implementation of a new cross-country VISA system.
o Allocated writing and editing tasks to two writers.
o Reviewed and proofread team deliverables.
• Determined resource and budget allocation while acting as a client liaison.
• Team lead for the Student Loans Canada training documentation project for branch
Jan 1997-June 1997
IBM Canada, Toronto (Contract)
• Created and enhanced the user and system administrator guides for the ETCCF (Enhanced Tollfree
Call Center Features) application designed by IBM for Bell Canada (Unix).
• Delivered a 500+ page user manual in 4 weeks (initial draft).
Sept 1995-Dec 1996
Teleglobe Insurance Systems (Contract)
• Created, designed, and maintained user documentation for the Windows Assure 2000 Billing and
Claims insurance software system.
• Created Assure 2000 online help using Doc-to-Help.
• Wrote Reflecting GUI standards in User Documentation.
April 1995 - August 1995
Bombardier deHavilland, Toronto (Contract)
• Wrote, edited, and updated Aircraft Maintenance manuals for the Regional Jet publications
• Created technical procedures from engineering drawings and manufacturing specifications, and
by performing hands-on flight system tests.
• Part of a contract team of technical writers who more than doubled the output of the full-time
technical publications department in one month.
Jennifer Thompson, cont’d
Sept. 1994 - March 1995
SPAR Aerospace, Brampton (Contract)
• Revised, edited and converted NASA Space Station documentation as a part of a company-wide
conversion to Microsoft Word.
• MS Office • Framemaker, Quadralay WebWorks
• Web publishing using Dreamweaver. • PageMaker
• INTERLEAF for Unix (including ATA 100
and RDM customization).
• Online Help Publishing: Doc-to-Help and
RoboHelp to .NET.
• Graphics: Photoshop, VISIO and CorelDraw.
• HTML Web-development and knowledge of