I have extensive experience in arts administration, fine art and film exhibition/production, and freelance journalism/film-making. Within these industries, I have worked for large, well established organizations, small, privately owned businesses and performance venues, and freelance through my own multi-media production company.
My most recent writing samples (available upon request) cover the history, trends, and ever-changing technology of art, culture, design and fashion. The blogging, copy writing, web content editing and publishing skills I have learned in these fast paced industries, which are considered leaders in usage of the new media marketing and PR techniques, will translate well to the needs of a number of industries.
For the past year, I have been working as Web Editor/Fashion Blogger and PR Manager for Brighton Fashion Week. Because BFW is a not-for-profit, grass roots venture, I have been lucky enough to have loads of hands on experience in developing a brand ethos and identity. Being involved in the development of an idea has allowed me ample opportunities to explore the many sides of managing, producing, and promoting a brand and event.
• Ohio State University, Columbus Ohio, 1984 - 88.
BA in Theatre, minor in Film and Theatre Production.
Social Media and administrative programs:
Microsoft Office, Excel, MODx, Word Press, various image editing suites (e.g. Picasa, PicMonkey)
Web Editing, Social Media Marketing, PR, and Sales:
Nov 28, 2011 – Present
PR Manager/Web Editor, Brighton Fashion Week 2012, www.brightonfashionweek.com
• Entered as a PR intern, then promoted to PR Manager where I composed marketing
materials, e.g. press releases, designer and exhibitor applications and event
descriptions for distribution to various press outlets, potential sponsors, schools, and
• February 2012: Promoted to Web Editor with a staff of 9 featured fashion bloggers.
Editor of fashion blog content and managing website content and strategy.
January 2012 – Present
Contributing Coulmnist, 125 Magazine, www.125magazine.com
15 July 2011 – November 2011
Copywriter and Press Liaison, Brighton POD, www.brightonpod.com
• Copywriter and Press Liaison with the online shopping portal that specializes in
promoting independent UK artists and designers.
August 2008 - May 2010
Ligne Roset Brighton
• Full-time Design and Sales Consultant of bespoke luxury French contemporary furniture.
• Web content editor of shop website and composed marketing and media analysis of
newly opened Brighton shop.
• Created and maintained promotional databases of clients and south east England’s
interior designers and architects to be used for promotional email alerts and mail outs.
• Collaborative work with the following agencies as regional press liaison and PR/events
Murry Weir Willats, 4a William St, Knightsbridge, London
(Communications and public relations agency for luxury design interiors and lifestyle)
- Coordinated furniture loans for the Brighton Dome and Festival’s Brian Eno Launch
Event on 24 Feb and the Mother’s Day Event on 7 March 2010.
Redwire Creative Media, Hertfordshire, UK
- Copywriter and design consultant of print ads for Ligne Roset Brighton in lifestyle
magazines Latest Homes, Sussex Life, Cream of Sussex, Living Etc, and South
Aug 1995-Sept 1996
Independent Publishers Group/Chicago Review Press, Chicago
• Customer service representative for distributor of books published by small and mid-
• Photographer for book signing at Barnes and Noble bookstores and Buddy Guy’s
Legends blues club in Chicago for the launch of blues icon David “Honey Boy” Edwards’
autobiography "The World Don’t Owe Me Nothing".
Nov 1993-Sept 1994
Picture Start Inc, Chicago (no longer trading)
• National Accounts Director of film and video distribution to libraries and universities
across the US.
Film-making and Freelance Journalism:
BBC Southern Counties Radio, Broadcast House, Queens Rd, Brighton, UK BN1 3XB
• Featured speaker on my experiences as an African-American English teacher in rural,
Gullible Girl Productions
Owner and Creative Director of independent film Production Company.
• "Flight of the Agitator" Chicago, IL
Director, producer, writer of short film shown at the Chicago Underground Film Festival.
• Counter-Media, Chicago, IL
Freelance photo-journalist and documentary film-maker for alternative media coverage of
protests during the 1996 Democratic National Convention prior to the November 1996