Oscar Bernardo Halpert
Mountlake Terrace, WA
• Award-winning article writer and journalist
• Fluent in Spanish
• Superior editing and copyediting
• InDesign, MS Office Suite, content management systems.
• SEO expertise
Owner, Words to Market
Since February, 2011
A writing and editing service
The Herald of Everett
August 2009-November 2010
• Only reporter to exclusively cover south Snohomish County.
• Broke major political stories about Lynnwood city finances and *** discrimination.
• Produced average of five enterprise, feature and news stories each week.
• Coordinated stories with sister weekly paper to ensure adequate coverage.
October 2006-August 2009
• Solo editor/reporter for 27,000-circulation weekly.
• Responsible for all news content, layout, headlines and proofing.
• Won two Society of Professional Journalists first place awards.
King County Journal Newspapers
Renton and Bellevue, Washington
October 2000-October 2006
• Primary reporter for twice-monthly suburban news magazine.
Covered the city of Renton government and features
Laid out and proof-read the paper.
• Winner of multiple awards for news and features.
• Managed freelance writers and worked closely with photography staff.
Founding board member, The Indo Project 2009-2010
•Mentor, Big Brother Big Sister of Snohomish County 2007
•Mentor, Communities in Schools of Renton 2002-2006.
•Ballinger Heights Condominium Association Board 2005-2008.
•Member, Friends of Youth Publicity Committee 2002.
•Publicity Chair, Seattle Peace Chorus 1998-2002.
Awards: 2009, Government Reporting, first place; 2008 Social Issues Reporting, first place; 2006 Sports Features, first place; 2007 environmental reporting second place.
M.A. Public Affairs Reporting, University of Illinois/Springfield.
B.A. Journalism, University of Oregon, Eugene, Ore.