I believe my best assets are my hard-working and friendly nature, my enthusiasm and ability to learn quickly. I will try my best in any work environment to over-come problems and get work done efficiently and to a high standard. My qualifications include:
• A range of experience working with both print and online media.
• Proficient with computer programs InDesign, Photoshop, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
• Excited to meet new people and take on tasks in an organized and systematic manner.
• Use my initiative to work well on my own and as part of a team.
• Have had experience interviewing popular artists such as Ellie Goulding and Jamie Woon.
October 2011 - Present
• I write album and show reviews and contribute to news features for the site.
Columnist, The Capilano Courier
September 2011 - Present
• I write a bi-weekly column focusing on people watching and the peculiarities of the individual.
Volunteer, Narwhal Magazine
May 2011 - Present
• I read and critique literary submissions, update site data and work on ideas for website content.
Writer, Quips and Tips Blog Series
April 2011 - Present
• I write advice articles for the various sites including ‘Quips and Tips for Couples Coping with Infertility’ and ‘Quips and Tips for Achieving Your Goals’.
April 2011- Present
• I write artist features for the art section of the site.
March 2011 - Present
• I write reviews and previews for shows, albums and books and complete artist interviews.
Drop Out Video Arts Expo Volunteer
Vancouver, Canada. March 2011
• Worked on the door; sold tickets and t-shirts for the event, explained the exhibition to the public and took donations.
Intern, Broadband Network Three (SoMedia)
Vancouver, Canada. March 2011
• Transcribed interviews from news footage, quoted times for VOs.
• Researched relevant news stories and followed up on details required.
• Sat in on VJ assignment meetings.
PR Intern, LocAZu
Vancouver, Canada. February 2011
• Wrote press releases and articles for national and student publications.
• Controlled the Twitter account for a month, increased followers by 50%.
• Developed SEO skills using keywords and inbound links.
• Contributed ideas and helped with a short film featured on the site locazu.com.
Arts and Culture Festival Volunteer. January 2011
• I helped promote the event, worked as an usher and liaised with the artists and visitors.
Writer, Capilano Courier.
September 2010 - June 2011.
• I focus on restaurant reviews of around 700-800 words.
July 2010 Present
• I contribute to the site with photographs and gig reviews.
Music Editor. The Courier, Newcastle University Paper.
September 2008- 2009
• Had a weekly flow of contact with PR companies, venues, bands and our writers.
• Researched key musical events happening in Newcastle and decided which singles/albums were to be featured.
• Held weekly music meetings with our writers to delegate pieces and get feedback.
• Laid up pieces and images using InDesign and Photoshop software.
Red Bull Reporter.
Sonar Festival June 2009
• Selected to write about the 3 day festival, focused on the Red Bull Academy artists performing at the festival, interviewed them and festival goers too. Produced an 1000 word piece which appeared on their website and the Total Kiss Radio website, see http://www.totalkiss.com/2009/07/red-bull-reportersat-sonar-2009/
Time Out Guides. March 2009
• Checked events and picked highlights for the Shortlist Guide to London, writing focus boxes of 400 words on different areas of interest within London and also sorting the events calendar.
• Investigated a street of children's shops and wrote an informative box on the street and smaller reviews for each shop for the London for Children Guide.
• Helped with phone interviews for this guide and also wrote 300 word pieces for the 000 Things for Children to do in The HolidaysGuide.
• My work, including pieces on West End Musicals (pg 141), the Institution of Contemporary Art (pg 81), South Kensington's Renewal (pg 85) and the South London clubbing scene (pg 72) have now been published in the Time Out Shortlist, London 2010.
Writer, Narc. Magazine. 2007-2009
• Reviewed and previewed new music and shows weekly.
Reporter, Glastonbury Festival. June 2009
• Previewed and reviewed the festival for Newcastle University paper The Courier with exclusive backstage access.
The Press. December 2008
• Contributed to the daily paper with nibs and fillas, photo pieces, main pieces and vox pop.
• A story I helped investigate made it into the Nationals the next day and I appeared in The Sun, The Daily Mail, The Express,The Star and the front page of The Yorkshire Post amongst others. I also appeared on Channel 5 News, BBC Look North and the BBC Website's Frontpage.
Writer, The Talk Magazine. 2007-2008
• Reviewed and previewed new music and shows monthly.
• Interviewed bands.
• Laid out and designed my own page.
Activity Leader, English Experience Italy Camps.
Lead classes of Italian children aged 5-12 in Arts and Crafts, Drama and Sport.
Further Education. BTEC Diploma, Foundation Course in Art and Design. Pass and Merit in essay writing. (Loughborough University, UK 2005/06)
Wordplay - Creative Writing Course (Emily Carr University, Vancouver 2010).
Higher Education. Bachelor of Arts in Combined Honours in English Linguistics, Fine Art and History of Art. Second Class, Division One. (Newcastle University UK 2006-09).
References Available Upon Request