June 2010 to date Part-time Self-employed Home-based
• July – ongoing freelance academic editing and proofreading;
• August - Qualified as advanced editor with Tiffany Markham;
• October to February - Part-time employed as internet copy-writer for BeWellBuddy.biz, publish 2 or 3 times a week;
• November – ongoing editorial overview, editing and proofreading of post-graduate (Masters and Doctorate) proposals and theses;
• Mid November to mid January – In-hospital care of 76yr old mother before, during and after gallbladder operation;
• Mid January to mid March - at home care and assistance with rehabilitation of 76yr old mother, post-operative at her flat on Durban North Beach;
• Ongoing - Work on the internet with home ADS Line or 3G card on own laptop;
• end of March - Motivation, set-up and communal management of a Field Guide Station and Guardianship Initiative in the Umngazi Valley, from home in Vukandlule Village, situated 2km off the beach beside an estuary on the Mngazi River, 30km south of Port St Johns on the Eastern Cape Wild Coast.
January 2000 – May 2010 047 564 1115/6/8/9 Umngazi River Bungalows
• Worked at Umngazi River Bungalows (URB) as a Reservationist for the first five years
• Since 2005, as Reservations Supervisor/Manager.
• Duties as supervisor/manager involved supervision and training of two reservationists;
• Process and administer reservations from high volumes of enquires received via telephone, email, fax;
• One-on-one interaction with guests resident in the hotel regarding future visits.
The hotel is situated on the Eastern Cape Wild Coast, 30km south of Port St Johns and 110km east of Mthata (Umtata). With the hotel in a remote part of the country, it meant training one or two new reservationists every year. URB is an award winning, family resort/hotel, with occupancies averaging 80% out of season and 110% in-season.
The hotel offers a ‘renewal policy’, which allows guests to rebook for their next holiday, prior to departure, and some guests return even though they have emigrated and some families have been returning for three generations, while others visited in their youth or while on honeymoon and now return annually with their families.
1990 -1999 Technikon Natal
• Started at Technikon Natal in the Journalism and Public Relations Department teaching desktop publishing, and wrote final examination in Journalism on National Diploma level;
• Assisted at the Eco Tourism Sustainable Research Unit as English Second Language interpreter, researcher, coordinator;
• Lectured Media Studies for the Journalism Dept.;
• Helped to develop an interactive lecture on CD in Basic Accounting for Small Business Development Unit.
1981 – 1990 Caxton Group – Community Newspapers – Alberton/JHB South
• Cub reporter, writing and photographing general articles on school, club and community activities for the Alberton Record.
• Learnt layout and design and progressed to senior reporter of the Southern Courier, a sister-paper.
• Also worked as advertising salesperson and did layout and design for an editorial-free Shopper, published in both the Alberton Record and Southern Courier.
• Worked as assistant to the news editor and Managing Editor and then managed and co-ordinated special events.