• A seasoned writer and communications consultant with nearly two decades experience, both independently and for top-tier political and business leaders.
• Published essays and op-eds in a variety of venues, including TIME Magazine, The Washington Post, The New York Times, the (UK) Literary Review, and The LA Times.
• Proven professionalism in a wide range of other areas, including biography, ghostwriting, screenwriting, fiction and journalism.
• Crafted speeches, toasts and eulogies for many heads of state, including Colombia’s Andres Pastrana and other leaders, such as U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein and Inter-American Development Bank President, Luis Alberto Moreno.
• Earned applause for words read aloud at the White House (the Rose Garden and State dinners), the United Nations, Davos, several celebrated universities, the National Press Club – even Bob Hope’s funeral.
Freelance Writer, 2005 to the present, works include:
• In the Arena, a ghostwritten memoir of a famed hedge fund guru, a Non-Disclosure Agreement prevents releasing the name or title.
• Feet First, Boots On – a travelogue through America’s old Oil Patch.
• Spencer Trask: Enigmatic Titan: A biography of the man who backed Thomas Edison, engineered Adolph Ochs’ purchase of the NY Times, and founded the Yaddo artist’s colony in Saratoga, NY.
• The Cactus Crown, an optioned feature-length screenplay about Maximilian and Carlota, European royals sent to rule chaotic Mexico, only to be abandoned by France and left to their doom.
• Rebel Nature, a novel of politics and betrayal, set in present day Colombia.
• TIME Magazine – Contributor
Speechwriter/Communications Advisor, U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein, 2002 – 2004
• Worked closely with the Senator on a myriad of issues, from terrorism and the conflict in Iraq, to energy, environmental and health care issues facing California, the most populous state and the world’s 7th largest economy.
• Drafted editorials, from reforming U.S. intelligence services and the war in Iraq, to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, and placed the op-eds in various newspapers, including the Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle and others.
• Organized press conferences, with other senators, various United Nation offices, and the private sector, including VISA on identity theft prevention.
• Drafted talking points for interviews, to prepare the Senator for appearances on Meet the Press, Fox News Sunday, Larry King Live, etc.
Communications Consultant/Speechwriter, Shrum, Devine & Donilon/ BSMG Worldwide (now Powell & Tate), Washington, DC, 1998 – 2002
• Oversaw communications for the government of Colombia in Washington DC. This marked a seminal transition in the bilateral relationship, with Colombia shaking its pariah nation status and the U.S. pledging billions in aid.
• Penned editorials for Colombia’s President Andres Pastrana and Ambassador Luis Alberto Moreno, published in the New York Times and The Los Angeles Times.
• Prepared the President of Colombia for interviews with U.S. media.
• Drafted speeches for Bill Gates, Chairman of Microsoft; Gordon Brown, then Chancellor of the Exchequer; Philippine President Joseph Estrada; Bulgarian President Petar Stoyanov; and many others.
• Crafted all content – website and press releases – for the Council for Biotechnology’s Good Ideas Are Growing campaign. (See whybiotech.com)
• Wrote speeches for Colombia’s Ambassador to the U.S., Luis Albert Moreno.
• Vetted potential lobbyists for the Colombian government.
Co-Founder and Editor-in-Chief, Business Colombia magazine, Bogotá, 1994-1998
• Oriel College, Oxford University: Studied 19th & 20th century war and diplomacy with Sir Michael Howard, Regius Professor of Modern History
• MA – New York University: Thesis written under the tutelage of McGeorge Bundy, National Security Adviser for Presidents Kennedy and Johnson.
• BA – Knox College, Galesburg, IL.
• The Daycroft School, Greenwich, CT. Valedictorian and Senior Prefect.
COMPUTER SKILLS: Microsoft Office 2010, Adobe, desktop publishing, IT savvy
LANGUAGES: English (native tongue), Spanish (advanced), French (proficient)