Objective & Summary of Experience
I am seeking a full-time, part-time or contractual employment opportunity that will allow me to contribute my experience and skills in diversity, marketing communications, sales and community outreach to help an innovative firm achieve its business objectives.
1996 - PRESENT CAROLYN GRAY CONSULTING Villa Rica, GA (Est. in Boca Raton, FL)
• After many years of doing it for an ad agency, I launched a diversity communications consulting firm in Boca Raton (FL) to provide customized diversity communications services and solutions to clients such as: The Walt Disney Company, Northside Hospital, National African American Human Resources Association (NAAHR), and the Florida State Office of the NAACP.
• Developed customized diversity marketing communications tools and strategies to aid Disney in successfully launching and development the Company’s first corporate diversity program piloted by the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando.
• Aided Disney’s first Diversity Director and senior executives launch and develop new departments that would be responsible for corporate diversity programs, supplier diversity, diversity recruitment, community outreach, and urban affairs.
• Consulted with management teams on communications platform for new diversity-related projects, such as Disney’s sponsorship of the Florida Classic football game (FAMU v. BCC), Club BET at Downtown Disney, development of diverse employee associations (Gay/Lesbian, African American, Hispanic Americans, Employees with Disabilities, etc.) and helped to launch their first annual diversity awards program, and more.
• Wrote and/or reviewed copy and scripts on diversity-related topics for executives and departments and supervised production of creative materials for internal and external audiences, from concept through completion
• Created and supervised production of a wide variety of communications materials to promote diversity at Disney including newspaper feature articles and profiles on diverse hourly employees, executives, vendors and the company’s diversity and outreach activities.
• Brought CGC to Georgia in 2001 when I relocated here to care for my mom who lost her fight with Alzheimer’s in 2009.
2009 - PRESENT SUBSTITUTE TEACHER - Carroll County School Systems, Carrrollton, Georgia
• Received certification in January 2010 to serve as a substitute teacher in the Carroll County School System.
1986 – 1996 BERNARD HODES GROUP Los Angeles, CA & Ft. Lauderdale, FL
DIRECTOR OF DIVERSITY PROGRAMS (1990 – 1996)
• Developed the first in-house ad agency ‘boutique’ of diversity-related communications and consulting services that were offered to key HR/Diversity decision-makers of the agency’s Fortune 500 clients.
• Helped clients design and develop diversity-related programs and projects to establish and communicate their corporate diversity vision and objectives. Clients included: Apple, Disney, Kaiser Permanente of Southern California, FBI, Hughes, Lockheed, Ryder Systems and others.
• Was a member of the agency’s national sales team for new business development; led agency’s corporate philanthropic and outreach efforts. Transferred from the Los Angeles branch to the Ft. Lauderdale branch in 1993.
• ACCOUNT SUPERVISOR
Was among the most successful recruitment advertising account managers in Southern California in terms of sales volume, service and retention of recruitment advertising accounts. Duties included: sales cold calling (inside and outside sales), designing and developing corporate recruitment and retention ad strategies. Clients included: American Medical Healthcare, TRW, Ryder, Great Western Bank (Washington Mutual), Kaiser Permanente of Southern California and others. Initiated the agency’s philanthropic efforts as a corporate volunteer in developing communications and marketing support projects for the Los Angeles Urban League’s Annual Job Fair; secured client-sponsorship and edited newsletters for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and Rebuild LA.
2004 – PRESENT PRESIDENT/CEO THE CARVER HIGH MUSEUM & ARCHIVES OF W. GEORGIA, INC.
Co-founded The Carver High Museum & Archives of West Georgia, Inc. (a black history and culture museum, in development) whose mission is to preserve the history and legacy of George Washington Carver High School and the other historic black schools of Carroll County. I am responsible for directing the organization’s programming, outreach and fundraising agendas and projects including creating and producing promotional literature and other materials.
Proficient on Macintosh OS, Office Suite for Macs (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc) and various photographic, graphics and database management applications. Familiar with social media and current popular technology.
EDUCATION/TRAINING & OTHER ACCOMPLISHMENTS OF NOTE
1976 Bachelor’s Degree, Mass Communications/Journalism, California State University, Fullerton, CA.
1981 Implementing Change: Corporate Diversity Programs, Diversity Institute, Atlanta, GA.
1983 PR for Non-Profit Organizations, UCLA Extension
1997 Corporate Sponsored Training Programs: Public Speaking and Presentation Skills; Customer Service and Sales.
2000 Census 2000: Call Center Train-The-Trainer program. Trained more than 200 outbound telephone Census enumerators.
2009 Accessing Federal Grants, Carroll County Chamber of Commerce; Shaping Outcomes: Outcome-Based Planning and Evaluation, Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI)
2009 Article: “How We Got Over – Reflections On The Public Education By African Americans in Carroll County, Georgia - Between Emancipation and Integration.” Published in The Journey newsletter of West Georgia University, Office of Institutional Diversity.
2011 Awarded Preservation in Education Award by Carroll County Historical Society; honorary membership by Carroll County Genealogy Society.
2012 Awarded Community Service Award by Let Us Make Men Conference.