Paul Aaron Parks 4681 Long Branch Avenue San Diego, CA 92107 (619) 226-2913
Cell (619) 994-4090 Paul_A_Parks@hotmail.com
More than 15 years of experience creating technical documentation, as both print and on-line deliverables. I have experience documenting computer software applications within a variety of industries, including installation guides, quick start guides, administrator guides, user guides and companion on-line help systems for each.
• Create technical documentation using any relevant software applications.
• Work closely with Subject Matter Experts, Software Engineers and Quality Assurance Personnel to create print and on-line documentation.
• Create HTML and WebHelp help systems for software products using RoboHelp Office.
• Create web graphics using Adobe Photoshop and Paintshop Pro.
• Ability to work as part of a team or independently, strictly adhering to and successfully meeting deadlines.
• Experienced with additional software applications, including Framemaker, MS Office, Adobe Acrobat, Snag-It, Enterprise Architect (UML Modeling) XML Spy, Visual Source Safe, ClearCase/ClearQuest Remote Clients, VPN and Eclipse as documentation repositories, and Dreamweaver for website creation.
March 2008 to Present
Freelance Technical Writing/Editing
Successful completion of the following projects:
• LANWorks PTE, Ltd - Created Administrator’s User’s Manual for Singapore-based company’s Office Manager product.
• POSitive Technologies, Inc. Created Administrator’s and Employee’s User’s Manuals for STARCaffe Point of Sale Software application.
• Soffront Software, Inc. – Created Administrator’s User’s Manual for WEBTrack Customer Management System application.
• Arctrieval, Inc. - Created User’s Manual for company’s healthcare-related software application that allows healthcare providers to procure and maintain patient medical record requests electronically.
• Egis Software - Edited and performed major rewrite of both Administrator and End User Manuals for company’s web-based Document Control System.
• Zzz Real Estate - Created Administrative User’s Manual for real estate company’s software including modules for Foreclosure Management, Lead Tracking Management, Private Lending Management, Virtual Property Inspector Management and Virtual Email Management, as well as system Options and Settings.
• Bermuda Internet Marketing - Using MediaWiki, created high-level documentation overview for a web-based application that allows students to apply for scholarships and donors to offer them from both perspectives, based on user type.
• Almen Laboratories, Inc. - Converted print documentation into on-line help for a medical device manufacturer.
• Axerosolutions - Created Administrative User’s Manual for company’s social media/business collaboration web-based software application.
• Nephcure Foundation - Converted non-profit organization’s website into a collection of MS Word documents.
• Collective Media - Created an Administrative User’s Manual and stand-alone HTML Help System for an internet advertising statistical analysis application.
• University of Chicago Booth School of Business - Created a User’s Manual for a free on-line financial services website.
• HeatingOil4Less.com - Created a User’s Manual for end users of the site that provides real-time pricing for heating oil and links Buyers and Suppliers, as well as documenting all of the Administrative functions of the web application.
• Informia, Inc. - Created an Administrative User’s Manual and corresponding WebHelp system for the company’s investment management software.
• iPevo - Rewrote and reformatted a user’s manual for the company’s EyeStage application for the iPhone.
• PPC-Coach Keyword Tracker - Created on-line documentation for software that analyzes keyword tracking success rates for ads posted to the internet.
• TimeForge - Created End-User and Administrative User’s Manuals and a WebHelp system for restaurant scheduling application.
• NARA (National Archives and Records Administration) - Created a web design standards document.
• Campbell Applied Physics - Created End-User Manual for Ozonizer product, to be used in an upcoming desalinization project.
• Five Star Memories - Created documentation for a free photo-sharing website designed for meeting planners, travel professionals and the guests who attend their events.
• Keyword Xray - Created End-User’s manual and WebHelp for an application designed to maximize affiliate revenue on the Internet.
• KindExcellence Institute - Proofreading and editing of two non-fiction manuscripts.
February 2007 to February 2008
Corticon Technologies, Inc. – Redwood City, CA
Technical Documentation Manager
Working remotely, assisted in updating and reformatting a 1000-page documentation set for a major service release of the company’s JAVA-based Business Rules Modeling System (BRMS) software, as well as creating both print documentation and on-line WebHelp for the company’s proposed next-generation version of the software within the Eclipse environment.
March 2004 to December 2006
First American Corporation Interactive Division – San Diego, CA
Converted internal integration control documents into client-and vendor-facing product guides, created UML model documentation and created User’s Manuals and WebHelp Systems for company’s web services initiative. Worked with XML Request, Response, Status and Error Message files within this system, validating them against MISMO 2.1 and 2.3.1 standards.
July 2003 – March 2004
Newgen Results – San Diego, CA
Created ISO-compliant Process Documentation, User’s Manuals and WebHelp Systems for the company’s web-based initiatives, as well as related training materials.
August 2001 to July 2003
Freelance/Contract Employment - San Diego, CA
After leaving i2 Technologies, Inc., I completed contract projects and assignments as a Technical Writer, Web Designer/Developer, Web Content Writer/Provider, Documentation Specialist and Proofreader/Editor. I also gained some experience creating ISO-compliant Process Documentation, as well as creating User’s Manuals and On-line help for web applications.
November 1991 to August 2001
i2 Technologies, Inc.
San Diego, CA
Technical Writer/Web Coordinator
Functioned initially as a Technical Writer/Windows Help System Author and later took on additional responsibilities as Web Coordinator for the company’s Construction Division website.
My responsibilities as a Technical Writer/Windows Help System Author included:
• Working with a group of Software Engineers and Quality Assurance Analysts to design, develop and publish User’s Guides for the company’s software products and internal systems.
• Creating Windows Help Systems and On-line Documentation incorporated into the company’s software applications using RoboHelp.
• Working closely with Product Programmers and Quality Assurance Analysts throughout the product development cycle from application inception through release on many construction industry (Electrical, Plumbing and HVACR) and Office Products industry software applications.
• Using a number of different software applications, as necessary, to create product demos, detail technical specifications for prototype software applications and perform quality assurance unit testing on products under development.
• Coordinating interdepartmental documentation efforts, acting as a liaison between the Information Technology Internal Service Unit and other Strategic Business Units throughout the company.
My responsibilities as the Web Coordinator included:
• Hand coding the HTML for each page on the site and creating web content.
• Creating the navigational functionality and corresponding graphics for the site.
• Working with the Product Marketing department on a daily basis regarding web content and implementing new content and promotional pages regularly.
• Creating .PDF files from HTML documents for customer download from the site.
August 1986 to November 1991
i2 Technologies, Inc.
San Diego, CA
My initial position with the company was Publications Editor; my responsibilities as a Publications Editor involved:
• Updating two pricing information publications on a weekly basis.
• Processing manufacturer pricing information and incorporating additions, revisions and deletions into a pricing database.
• Performing the graphics paste-up on all revised pages for reproduction.
• Working under constant deadline pressure to meet publication issue requirements.
San Diego State University - BA/Journalism (Emphasis in Magazine Production) with a Minor in English.
A list of professional and personal references can be provided on request.