Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Expert, Writer & Editor
• Versatile and accomplished management professional offering 21 years of overall experience; with 17 years in development communication, strategic communications, planning, advertising, promotion, marketing, business development, and research.
• Highly trained and experienced Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Expert with an eye for detail and extensive international and experiential exposure.
• Skilled in augmenting operational efficiency through new approaches to work and effective time management.
• Outstanding track record in conducting communication programs and information campaigns for government, corporate and non-profit organizations.
• Competent, dynamic and proactive professional with the ability to deliver high quality results along with an aptitude to organize and function as an industrious member of the project team.
• Long years of hands-on experience in conceptualizing, designing, developing, writing, directing, and producing communication materials and collaterals for print, broadcast, screen, electronic, and non-projected media.
• Skilled designer, developer, planner, and implementer of communication strategies that meld efficiently and effectively with other operations and components within a larger project or program.
• Excellent communicator in both the spoken and written form, with fluency in English, Spanish and Filipino or Tagalog (primary Philippine language).
• Top-of the-line negotiator with an ability to work under pressure in fast-paced, time-sensitive environments. Experienced in consulting and coordinating with representatives of government entities and their agencies, international funding institutions, and community representatives.
• Thrives when working in a multicultural setting with a proven ability to effectively interact with people of diverse nationalities.
Development Communication ? Strategic Communication ? Corporate Communication ? Marketing Communication ? Advertising & Promotion ? Journalism ? Creative Writing ? Technical Writing ? Writing for Electronic Media ? Speech Writing ? Copy Editing and Proofreading ? Market Research ? Consultancy ? Project Coordination ? Liaison Work ?
Communication Campaign Material Development and Production ? Photography ? Videography
Key Achievements related to deliverables across Career Span
• Worked as a technical consultant and successfully handled PMRCIP $ 12M project of the Philippines Department of Public Works and Highways (funded through loans provided by the Japan Bank for International Cooperation). Communication Expert and Team Leader for the Information Campaign and Publicity Component of the Pasig-Marikina River Channel Improvement Project (PMRCIP).
Key Deliverables across career span
As an Information, Education and Communication (IEC) Expert:
• Provides a wide range of supervisory to middle management services in IEC for national development projects and corporate marketing, sales, and advertising programs and projects.
• Develops IEC strategies in coordination with Project Leaders and Project Management based on project goals and objectives, needs, requirements and resources.
• Assigns project programs, tasks and/or activities based on the expertise, experience and strengths of subordinate specialists in the fields of IEC, advertising, marketing, and communication.
• Meets with relevant representatives of stakeholders to discuss their information needs and determine their potential contributions and participation.
• Reviews literature related to the Project, including the collation of previous marketing materials used, as well as the identification of competitors and gathering information on them.
• Formulates, develops, identifies, and recommends marketing and sales strategies and tactics to the Project Management Team.
• Develops the messages, identifies channels for dissemination, prepares production and implementation budgets and schedules, and creates comprehensive programs for information campaigns.
• Drafts speeches for senior management and reviews proposed speeches in coordination with corresponding executives. Arranges for necessary speaking aids and other preparations. Arranges and prepares for planned and anticipated media coverage. Attends presentations and offers feedback to the speaker.
• Develops and produces marketing and advertising collaterals such as: letters, brochures, video, point-of-purchase displays, advertorials, advertisements, etc.
• Plans, develops and manages social media and electronic marketing strategies and mechanisms.
• Designs, develops and implements monitoring and feedback mechanisms which measure effectiveness and success levels, identify problems and threats, and creates quick-response mechanisms designed to address issues of difficulty and slippage.
As a Writer:
• Identifying topics based on editorial assignments, public interest, personal preference, or as commissioned by a publisher or agent.
• Writing original material:
o Journalism (journals, broadsheets and publications) – straight news stories, feature stories, science writing, copywriting, technical writing, advertorials;
o Creative Writing - theater, television, screen, radio, and multi-media presentations;
o Electronic Media – websites, blogs, social networking sites.
• Meeting strict deadlines.
• Employing high standards of journalism, not only in writing, but also in verifying facts through fair and balanced reporting.
• Using exceptional literary skills to develop original themes and storylines and making characters and plots believable.
• Undertaking extensive research on facts, plot lines, places, themes, and characters.
• Conducting interviews with subjects, resource persons, eyewitnesses, and other persons relevant to or knowledgeable about the subject matter or topic.
• Submitting material for publication or distribution in the required and expected format.
• Rewriting and adapting material (and sometimes the work of others) for alternative formats, e.g. adapting novels for stage or producing a web-based 'e-book'.
• Maintaining an active interest in the specific genre (such as novels, film, TV, radio).
• Exercising self-discipline and time management to organize writing in conjunction with developing financial management/self-employment skills.
• Encouraging and acting upon critical feedback in the most appropriate manner.
• Being prepared to rewrite and revise work (often several times) following feedback.
• Liaising with publishers, agents, script editors, producers and directors.
• Finding, pursuing and maintaining knowledge of publication opportunities.
• Attending courses and participating in workshops to improve and build upon writing skills.
• Appearing at public readings and book signings.
As an Editor:
• Prepare, rewrite and edit copy to improve readability, or supervise others who do this work.
• Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
• Allocate print space for story text, photos, and illustrations according to space parameters and copy significance, using knowledge of layout principles.
• Plan the contents of publications according to the publication's style, editorial policy, and publishing requirements.
• Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
• Review and approve proofs submitted by composing room prior to publication production.
• Develop story or content ideas, considering reader or audience appeal.
• Oversee publication production, including artwork, layout, computer typesetting, and printing, ensuring adherence to deadlines and budget requirements.
• Confer with management and editorial staff members regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
• Assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
• Read, evaluate and edit manuscripts or other materials submitted for publication and confer with authors regarding changes in content, style or organization, or publication.
• Monitor news-gathering operations to ensure utilization of all news sources, such as press releases, telephone contacts, radio, television, wire services, and other reporters.
• Meet frequently with artists, typesetters, layout personnel, marketing directors, and production managers to discuss projects and resolve problems.
• Supervise and coordinate work of reporters and other editors.
• Make manuscript acceptance or revision recommendations to the publisher.
• Select local, state, national, and international news items received from wire services, based on assessment of items' significance and interest value.
• Interview and hire writers and reporters or negotiate contracts, royalties, and payments for authors or freelancers.
• Direct the policies and departments of newspapers, magazines and other publishing establishments.
• Arrange for copyright permissions.
• Read material to determine index items and arrange them alphabetically or topically, indicating page or chapter location.
Communications Specialist JAN 19995 – PRESENT
Information, Education and Communications (IEC)
• Responsible for conducting development programs funded by international agencies such as the World Bank (WB), Asian Development Bank (ADB), United States Assistance for International Development (USAID), Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC), and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) among others.
• Researcher for media, educational and scientific institutions as well as community and multi-sector organizations.
• Writer, director, and producer of educational, informative, and audio-visual presentations and video productions.
• Producer of communication materials for mass media distribution (print, broadcast, and television).
• Coordinator for programs and activities involving government, non-government, scientific, educational, corporate, funding, legal, law enforcement, and civic organizations/institutions.
• Interpreter for English and Tagalog (native Philippines dialect) for the United States Department of Defense/US Army in Iraq.
Security Officer Nov 2011 – Present
Allied Barton Security Services
Linguist (United States Department of Defense and US Army) Apr 2011 – Apr 2011
Shee Atika Languages, LLC
Linguist (United States Department of Defense and US Army) Apr 2007 – Apr 2011
L-3 Communications Linguist Operations and Technical Support
Assistant Store Manager Apr 2007 – Jul 2007
Main Feature Writer Sep 1998 – Aug 2006
Global Business Opportunities Magazine (GBO)
Technical Consultant, Communication Expert and Team Leader Apr 2002 – Jul 2005
Woodfields Consultants Inc.
Freelance Writer and Multimedia Producer Apr 2000 – Mar 2002
Started career with the Philippine Rice Research Institute as a scriptwriter and production coordinator in 1991 and progressively handled positions in different capacities and employments including: scriptwriter, radio talent, production coordinator, illustrator, director, managing director, provincial information officer, assistant director, corporate communications supervisor, senior creative director for advertising and promotions, marketing and sales training manager, business research and development manager, and sales and marketing manager until 2001.
• Communicators for Agriculture and Rural Development (CARD)
• Association of Development Communication Alumni (ADCA)
• Development Communicators’ Society (DevComSoc)
Pursued the degree of B.Sc. Degree in Development Communication
With a major in Development Journalism June 1981 – March 1987
University of the Philippines, Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines
(Lacks 18 units to complete academic coursework)
• Basic Plus First Aid and CPR Certification Training, Mall of Georgia, Buford, GA, 15 December 2011.
• Allied Barton Security Officer’s Basic Training Program, Allied Barton Training Academy, Atlanta, GA 30309, 21 - 23 October 2011.
• Survey Training for the position of Business Analyst conducted by Global Resources, LLC, 23-29 October 2011, Chicago, Illinois, US.
• Correspondence Course on Photography, New York Institute of Photography, August 2009 – Present.
• Rite Aid Management Training Program, April 09, 2007 – June 01, 2007, Rite Aid Regional Office for DC-VA-GA, Baltimore, Maryland.
• Friedrich-Ebert Stiftung (FES) Workshop on Communications for Development, University of the Philippines, Los Banos, May 1995. A training program funded by FES of Germany.
• Video Production and Post-Production Techniques, Research Management Center, College of Economics and Management, University of the Philippines, Los Banos, August 1984.
• Seminar on Journalism, College of Mass Communication, University of the Philippines, Diliman, May 1981.
Microsoft Office Suite, Desktop Publishing, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Works, Nikon Imaging Software (Capture NX2, Transfer, and Nikon View)
Date of Birth : 25th May, 1965
Gender : Male
Nationality : Filipino (Permanent United States Resident)
Marital Status : Single
Driving License : US
Languages : English, Spanish and Filipino or Tagalog (primary Philippine language)
References available upon request