WILLIS S. HUGGINS, JR. (BILL)
508 Carn Street
Walterboro, S. C. 29488
Work: (843) 549-1709
EXPERIENCE AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Current Position: Zoning and Floodplain Administrator
Colleton County Planning Department
• Serve as zoning administrator for Colleton County
o Interpret zoning ordinance
o Work with developers to insure zoning compliance
o Enforce ordinance requirements
• Serve as Floodplain Administrator for Colleton County
o Apply and enforce requirements of the County Flood Management Ordinance
o Develop programs designed to maintain and upgrade the County’s program status with respect to the flood insurance rating system.
• Assist Planning Director in review of planning and development issues and recommendations
• Work with Developers and Citizens
o Assist citizens and development community in navigating Planning and Zoning regulations.
• Provide staff support for the Board of Zoning Appeals
o Review and develop staff reports for Variance requests before the Board
o Maintain Board records and update rules of procedure as necessary.
Position: Field Services Manager
Municipal Association of South Carolina March, 2008 – March 2010
• Provided technical assistance to towns and cities in South Carolina.
o Assisted with zoning ordinance revisions
o Made presentations to towns and cities concerning planning, budgeting and legal issues important to local government officials
o Conducted training programs for BZA and Planning Commission members as needed.
o Provided technical support in the revision and update of the Association’s training video and text for municipal Planning Commissioners, Board of Zoning Appeals members and Architectural Review boards.
o Continually reviewed Bills introduced in the S. C. Legislature which would have some effect on local government planning and development and conferred with staff lobbyists.
o Provided planning training services (certified by State Planning Advisory Committee)
o Promoted the Association’s programs by establishing an ongoing communication link between the members and the Municipal Association.
o Conveyed the needs and interests of MASC members to the appropriate league staff for follow-up.
Position: Assistant City Manager
City of Aiken October, 1997 to March 2008
• Assisted City Manager with daily operations and act on behalf of the City Manager in his absence.
• Served as City Procurement Officer.
• Assisted with Budget Review and Prepared Division Budget.
• Conducted hiring process for Neighborhood and Development Services
• Served on interview and review panels for positions and promotions within several City departments.
• Supervised the City’s Neighborhood and Development Services Division and Building Inspections Services.
• Worked with City Manager and staff to develop and implement a far reaching redevelopment plan for blighted neighborhoods. The City leveraged local funds with HOME, CDBG and other redevelopment sources to construct new homes and to renovate homes in low income areas.
• Directed a special staff team composed of representatives from each City Department in providing support for neighborhood organizations and in addressing community needs at the grass roots level.
• Provided staff support for Aiken’s non-profit community development organization.
• Served as City’s project manager for planning and construction of a new terminal building for the Aiken Municipal Airport.
• Directed Municipal Airport Activities.
• Researched and developed reports and made recommendations concerning City policies and programs and identified community needs.
• Organized and managed updates of the City’s Strategic Plan.
• Prepared Annual Report and newsletters.
Position: Planner III
Department of Planning and Community Development
City of Aiken October, 1994 – Oct., 1997
• Provided assistance as needed to the director and act on director’s behalf in his absence.
• Performed Development Plan Review.
• Processed and researched annexation, rezoning, subdivision and site/landscape plan applications.
• Assisted in preparation of the Comprehensive Plan.
• Maintained a working relationship with transportation officials and advised the Director and City staff about transportation grant programs and other issues. Served as City staff for the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the Augusta/Aiken region.
• Researched and prepared draft ordinances, provided recommendations on possible amendments to the Director, and worked with subcommittees of the Planning Commission and ad hoc committees in drafting ordinances.
• Temporarily assumed the role previously held by the Engineering Department of updating maps and preparing presentation maps. Have intermediate level working knowledge on AutoCAD and Arc View software.
• Provided staff support as Annexation Coordinator for an ad hoc committee appointed by City Council to study possible incentives to encourage annexation of “doughnut hole” areas.
Position: Regional Planner
Lower Savannah Council of Governments September, 1993 – October 1994
• Assisted several counties with implementation of E 911 systems.
• Facilitated public input in the transportation planning process in cooperation with the South Carolina Department of Transportation. Also, developed regional demographic data for inclusion in the Statewide Transportation Plan.
• Prepared land use planning and zoning documents as needed.
• Responded to inquiries from local governments and citizens about planning and zoning issues.
Position: Director of Planning and Community Development
City of Seneca April, 1991 – May 1993
• Supervised staff of three in performing department functions.
• Served as City Zoning Administrator.
• Advised Mayor, Council and Planning Commission concerning ongoing development and planning issues.
• Worked with Appalachian COG in preparation of an update of the City Zoning Ordinance.
• Conducted public hearings and addressed community groups concerning planning issues.
• Prepared annual department budgets.
• Administered the City’s Community Development Block Grant program.
• Served as a liaison between City officials and various citizen groups in efforts to develop downtown revitalization programs.
Position: Assistant Planner & Associate Planner
Greenville County Planning Commission August 1987 – April 1991
Greenville, S. C.
Duties and accomplishments included:
• Worked on revision of County Zoning Ordinance
• Reviewed zoning change requests, staffed public hearings, worked closely with County Council and citizens on zoning and planning issues.
• Performed site plan review.
• Provided information to citizen, developers and public agencies concerning development trends and planned improvements.
• Prepared and presented staff reports to the Greenville County Board of Zoning Appeals concerning conditional use requests and to the Planning Commission and Council concerning road and drainage easement abandonment requests.
• Responded to citizen and developer questions concerning land use issues.
Research Assistant, Strom Thurmond Institute
PROFESSIONAL DESIGNATIONS/ TRAINING/ MEMBERSHIPS:
AICP, American Association of Certified Planners
CFM, Certified Floodplain Manager
S. C. Economic Developer’s School (College of Charleston)
Member of S. C. Chapter, American Planning Association
Former ICMA/ SCCCMA member
Former Member of Kiwanis Club in Aiken, S. C.
Clemson University (Clemson, S. C.)
M. A., City and Regional Planning,
American Planning Association First Year Student Award, 1986
Membership in Tau Sigma Delta Honor Society, 1987
Architectural Student Award, 1987
Francis Marion College (Florence, S. C.)
Dean’s List on a regular basis
Teacher certification in Secondary English,
Mullins High School graduate (Mullins, S.C.),