Technical Writer, Editor, Proofreader, Electronics Technician
• Management of documentation projects from initial receipt from subject matter expert through coordination with remote reviewers to publication by Web manager.
• Expert MS Word user.
• Experienced with Excel, PowerPoint, FrontPage, and Outlook; and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
• Word Template Development for branding and Section 508 compliance.
• Create documents for manufacture, calibration, and troubleshooting.
• Manufacture, troubleshoot, repair, and calibrate industrial, commercial, and military electronics systems.
• Solder Specialist—13 years experience with high reliability soldering.
Wood Consulting, Inc., September 2005 to October 2011
Senior Technical Writer
• Editing and formatting documents for a government agency.
• Rewriting sections of documents for clarity and plain language.
• Creating templates for consistency using Microsoft Word.
• Teaching others to use the templates and Microsoft Word.
• Converting documents to and from Adobe Acrobat files.
• Converting documents to Web pages using Microsoft FrontPage.
• Cleaning up and correcting code as needed.
• Using Microsoft Excel to create document tracking tables.
• Interacting with authors and reviewers.
• Recording work activities in a Microsoft Access database.
• Tracking documents through reviewing and revision process using a SharePoint site.
Northrop Grumman Ship Systems 2005
Avondale Shipyard, New Orleans, LA
• Installation and testing of fiber optic cabling and testing of systems.
Byk Gardner USA 1997-2003
• Assembled, calibrated, and repaired instruments for measuring color.
• Configured and repaired computers used to control the instruments.
• Answered customer questions about software and hardware, explained operations, isolated and resolved operating difficulties, issued return authorizations for repairs, replacements, and calibrations. Updated records in proprietary customer database.
• Created and maintained an Excel database of instrument data for color instruments in my area of responsibility.
• Wrote procedures for instrument manufacture and calibration.
• Developed and wrote procedure for use of a test station to troubleshoot a family of color instruments.
AlliedSignal Technical Services, Inc. 1983-1996
• Fabricated circuit boards and cabling for space craft prototypes, drew schematics, tracked supplies and parts, and worked with engineers to debug circuitry.
• Built an instrument on the Mars Observer spacecraft, an instrument in a Get-away Special, and participated in the FIRE project (Severe Storms research).
• Operated and maintained command and control hardware at the Greenbelt Satellite Tracking Station.
Schlumberger Offshore Services 1981-1983
Belle Chasse Renovation Center
Belle Chasse, LA
• Repaired and calibrated oil-field well-logging equipment. Systems included minicomputers and power supplies, analog and digital data processing systems and optical systems.
• Performed board level repair of computers and component level repair of everything else.
• Wrote maintenance and modification procedures for the tape handling and computer subsystems.
Tomba Communications 1980-1981
• Performed preventive and corrective maintenance on pagers and two-way FM radios.
United States Navy 1973-1980
• Performed preventive and corrective maintenance on airport radar systems, video mapping equipment, IFF interrogators, fixed and mobile two-way radios, microwave communications systems, alarm systems, public address equipment and test equipment.
• Maintained preventive maintenance records, interfaced with customers on a daily basis, performed personnel evaluations and directed the activities of as many as ten junior technicians.
• Wrote alignment procedures for several different radio sets and a repair and alignment procedure for a video mapping system.
• Received a letter of commendation for my achievement at radar training school.
• Rehabilitated the radio maintenance shop by locating missing radios (10 out of 100) and bringing them back into the maintenance cycle.
• BS in Management and Communications Studies, UMUC
• Navy Electronics A School and C School (radar and IFF systems)
• ET-1574 DAIR/GCA (TPX-42)
• High reliability soldering (certified for manned spaceflight)
• Total Quality Assurance training
• Customer Service training
• Skillport training including MS Office 2007 and Visio and Project
• Microsoft Word (expert), Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, FrontPage, Visio
• Adobe PageMaker, InDesign, Acrobat Pro.