Michael A. McGrath
P.O. Box 684
Kittredge, CO 80457-0684
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in 3-D Illustration. Served as a Graphic Designer for nation’s leading telecommunications corporation, as a Graphic Designer for several print shops in New Mexico & Colorado, & as a career Illustrator/Draftsman (Graphic Designer) for the United States Navy (21 years). Have owned & operated three home-based businesses: The Leprechaun’s Eye Studios, Thirdimension Studios & Tarnochtai Publishing in Kittredge, Colorado. Accustomed to working in a team environment. Proven leadership abilities & troubleshooting skills. Possess expert proficiency in Adobe InDesign & Photoshop, MS Word, Publisher & PowerPoint, in both Mac & PC platforms, with intermediate skills in Adobe Illustrator & MS Excel. Able to type 65+ wpm accurately.
Owner/Illustrator/Author/Publisher, Tarnochtai Publishing, LLC, & Thirdimension Studio, Littleton & Kittredge, CO – 2004-Present. Responsibilities: 3-D & 2-D illustration, writing, editing & self-publishing books & other printed matter, marketing & customer service. Illustrations include 3-D relief illustration, 2-D paintings, pen & ink drawings, graphic design, computer raster & vector illustrations.
Owner/Artist/Quilter, The Leprechaun’s Eye Studios, Aurora, CO – 1999-2001. Responsibilities: 2-D illustration, 3-D family crests, Celtic design (graphic design) & the design & manufacturing of Celtic quilts & period costumes.
Graphic Designer, Lucent Technologies, various locations in the Denver, CO area – 1997-1999. Responsibilities: computer graphics & layout of Lucent Technologies’ customer proposals. Term contract position.
Graphic Designer, C&M Press, north Denver, CO – 1996-1997. Graphic designer for book printer/publisher. Responsibilities: pre-press signature & book preparation, & plate-making.
Graphic Designer, The Print Shop, Los Cruces, NM – 1995-1996. Graphic designer for family-owned print shop. Responsibilities included graphic design, PMTs, paste-up/layout, bindery work, delivery, customer service.
Ceramic Shop Manager, Naval Security Group Activity Skaggs Island, Sonoma, CA – 1989 – 1991. Part-time ceramics shop manager for the Morale, Welfare & Recreation Department of U.S. Navy installation. Responsibilities included customer service, inventory & stock control, ceramics instruction, kiln loading, firing & unloading. Supervised 1-2 personnel.
Illustrator/Draftsman (Graphic Designer), U.S. Navy – 1979-1995. Illustrator/Draftsman & supervisor for 7 military graphics, drafting & print shops, both shore-based & aboard Navy sea-going vessels. Responsibilities included customer service, graphic design, illustration, drafting, architectural drawings, murals, brochures, manuals, slides & instructional materials, portraits, business cards, logo design, paste-up & layout, bindery work, press work. Supervised up to 35 personnel.
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, Lakewood, CO – Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree, area of emphasis: 3-D (Sculptural) Illustration, 2004-2007.
• Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum, Golden, CO, Men At Work: Quilts Under Construction, juried group all-male quilters’ exhibition, 1998.
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, Annual Student & Grad Exhibitions, Spring 2005, Spring 2006, Spring 2007, Fall 2007.
• Tennyson Gallery, Denver, CO, The Body: God’s Masterpiece – artistic performance installation, Summer 2006.
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, The Body: God’s Masterpiece – artistic performance installation, Fall 2006, Spring 2007.
• Tennyson Gallery, Denver, CO, Pop Art Show, juried group exhibition, Fall 2006.
• Colorado Alliance of Illustrators, CAI Annual Exhibit, juried group exhibitions, Fall 2005, Fall 2006, Spring 2008.
• Core Gallery, Denver, CO, WOW (Wide Open Whatever) Show, juried group exhibition, Spring 2006.
• Center for the Arts Evergreen, Evergreen, CO, Small Works Show, juried group exhibition, March 2008.
• Center for the Arts Evergreen, Evergreen, CO, 100-for-100 Show, fund-raising exhibition, April 2008.
• Next Gallery, Denver, CO, Artists Against Convention Show, juried group exhibit, July 2008.
• Art’s Place, Denver, CO, Body Language Show, group exhibit, August 2008.
• Bentwave Gallery, Denver, CO, Never a Dull Moment, solo exhibit, September 2008.
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, Summa *** Laude, December 2007.
• Charlene Cosgrove Scholarship: Spring 2006 & Fall 2006.
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, 44th Annual Student Exhibition:?Illustration Department Gold Award for Yack & the Beanstalk, Spring 2007.
• Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design, Alumni Association, member in good standing.
• Colorado Alliance of Illustrators, member in good standing.
• Kittredge Civic Association, three-year board member, business member and volunteer.
• Denver/Front Range representative for the National Coalition Against Censorship.
Fine arts, sculpture, editorial illustration, singer (1st and 2nd tenor, traditional Irish and Scottish music), performance & installation art, all-things-Irish, guitar and percussion instruments, Celtic quilter.
To write and illustrate stories that leave a legacy of hope and healing to those who encounter them.
References provided upon request.