7260 NW 114 Avenue, Apt. 107 • Miami, Florida 33178 • 786-301-5929 • firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Editor in Hispanic Media
Creative, results-focused professional with over ten years of experience managing business publications in Latin America and the US, transcending language and cultural boundaries. Accomplished reporter, writer, and editor with a track record of success in all aspects of the editorial process. Visionary leader adept in establishing new publications, developing content and business strategies, and directing project operations. Articulate communicator proficient in English and Spanish. Applies strong interpersonal skills to interface effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds. Resourceful problem solver.
EDITOR IN CHIEF
INTERNATIONAL CONSTRUCTION PUBLISHING, Miami, Florida 2007-2012
Directs the editorial process for two trade magazines (Construccion PanAmericana and Mineria Pan Americana) covering the construction and mining industries in Latin America. Hired a team of freelancers and an editorial assistant.
• Transformed the publications from heavy equipment catalogs into more journalistic trade business magazines with featured stories, interviews, and news covering regional sectors, which earned positive feedback from clients, sales representatives, and clients. Launched two digital newsletters in the Latin American market.
MANAGING DIRECTOR AND FOUNDER
RYF CONSULTING LLC, Miami, Florida 2006 to 2007
Established this consultancy to provide business and personal finance content to media outlets in the US Hispanic market and Latin America. Advised newsrooms and publications on business and personal finance journalism as well as new product development. Provided editorial, writing, and translation services to clients.
• Won business with Dow Jones; The Wall Street Journal Americas; Expansion Magazine in Mexico, a unit of Time Warner; Hogar Latino, a Hispanic-focused magazine; and Alto Nivel, an executive-oriented business magazine.
TU DINERO EDITOR IN CHIEF AND PUBLISHER
EDITORIAL TELEVISA, Miami, Florida 2005 to 2006
Was hired to plan and execute the launch of Tu Dinero, the first personal finance magazine focused on the Hispanic market in the US. Hired the editorial team. Managed the magazine’s content and business strategy.
• Designed and produced the first issue in record time of two months and expanded paid circulation to 25,000 in less than one year.
• Downsized editorial production, reducing costs by nearly 50% while increasing productivity.
• Played a key role in Editorial Televisa’s receipt of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists 2006 leadership award for the “excellent work and proven commitment to public service by pioneering efforts to guide the Latino community towards financial literacy” with Tu Dinero magazine.
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL AMERICAS, Jersey City, New Jersey 2001 to 2005
Directed staff members in authoring articles on issues relating to the Latin American business and financial environment. Developed new projects. Wrote articles for both English and Spanish editions on such issues as emerging market debt; the Hispanic publishing industry; personal finance; and mergers and acquisitions that occurred in/affected Latin American communities.
• Selected, edited, and published the daily pages for 20+ publishing partners located in Latin America.
• Encouraged the production of original content for the Spanish section.
• Provided training and coaching to improve an underperforming employee.
1 of 2
786-301-5929 • email@example.com
CAREER TRACK, CONTINUED
GDA.COM, Miami, Florida 2000 to 2001
Oversaw operations created to provide business and financial online information for the Latin American audience targeted by this Internet-based project, which was supported by 11 leading newspapers in Latin America. Developed the content strategy for the new business and financial portal. Recruited the content team for the Miami operation. Supported the design team.
• Established an effective regional platform to promote content distribution and management between the newspapers and the Miami operation.
EDITOR IN CHIEF
DINERO, Bogotá, Colombia 1999 to 2000
Was promoted from managing editor. Directed the editorial department, including selecting content, of this leading Colombian business magazine with biweekly circulation of 78,000 and annual revenue of US $3 million. Trained and supervised a team of 17 staff members in different newsroom and research departments.
• Launched powerful marketing tools, including the first Business Plan Competition in Colombia (ventures.com.co) and the First Tuesday initiative (granmartes.com) to promote entrepreneurs and venture capital in Colombia.
BUSINESS SECTION DEPUTY EDITOR
EL TIEMPO, Bogotá, Colombia 1994 to 1998
Was promoted from general news reporter to business reporter to this position. Determined the issues and news for day-to-day coverage for a newspaper with daily circulation of 250,000 and annual revenue of US $200 million. Supervised a team of nine reporters in developing articles. Planned a Sunday feature section related to major weekly news.
• Was selected to participate as a visiting editor for The Wall Street Journal when several newspapers in Latin America, including El Tiempo, formed an alliance to create The Wall Street Journal Americas.
M.B.A. in International Business, University of Southern California
(Colfuturo Scholarship recipient. Researched, analyzed, and assisted in the design of an entry strategy for Disney Co.’s theme park unit in South Korea.)
M.S. in Economics, Universidad de Javeriana
B.S. in Journalism, Universidad Central
Member, National Association of Hispanic Journalists
Author, “Cómo Invertir su Dinero”
(Personal finance book published in Colombia in 1997, of which the publisher issued three editions to satisfy demand.)