Nik G. Punto
Senior Content Production Editor (Freelance) January 2008 – Present
Nelson Education Ltd., 1120 Birchmount Rd., Toronto, ON
• Ensures the consistency and overall quality of all content pieces by implementing and adhering to appropriate in-house style guide and production standards.
• Supervises content production resources related to assigned list, to achieve schedule, quality, and budget goals of indigenous product.
• Creates and manages the production schedule; communicates with Program Manager, Developmental Editor, and Managing Editor as necessary with any updates or issues.
• Manages the scheduling of internal and external content production resources, and participates in title load planning in identified discipline lists.
• Liaises with Developmental & Acquisitions Editors and contributes to overall project planning in a collaborative team environment.
• Works in conjunction with School Director, CMP and Composition & Prepress Tech Director to engage and develop freelance resources/external prepress vendors.
• Adheres to standardized buying practices and processes for all content production, composition, and prepress services for the assigned title list.
• Involved in the ongoing implementation of new and enhanced production automation tools, and proactively manages workflow & standard compliance (i.e., use of composition style sheets and production workflows).
• Ensures electronic tagging requirements are applied across assigned title list in line with the goals and processes.
Research Editor January 2006 – December 2007
Carswell, 2075 Kennedy Rd., Toronto, Canada
• Managed all facets of the editorial process in the production of the Lexpert Directory and ALM 500 publication, both in print and electronic format.
• Liaised with authors and firm contacts regarding article submission, editorial changes and procedures; liaised with New York project designer/editors in the production of ALM 500.
• Copy edited and proofread articles and lawyer biographies for grammar, consistency of style and content.
• Liaised with the production team to coordinate all aspects of production layout and design to maintain Lexpert style.
• Edited and updated lawyer bios in Microsoft Access database, and check for accuracy in bios for print.
• Conducted annual surveys; organized scoring sheets; data entry for Word version surveys; run response summaries and formatted reports.
• Updated database on a regular basis and coordinated with firms to maintain accurate firm and lawyer profiles for accuracy.
• Uploaded articles and lawyer bios on websites - ALM & Directory; checked whether all links function; and updated changes to telephone/fax numbers or address and e-mail address changes.
• Internet search; fact-checking; confirmation of changes on telephone/fax numbers or addresses and e-mail address and e-mail; and mass e-mail clean-ups.
Market Research Interviewer September 2004 – July 2005
BBM (Bureau of Broadcast Measurements) Canada, Toronto, Canada
• Conducted public-opinion surveys on current issues and market research all over Canada and the U.S.A. through telephone interview.
Managing Editor October 1997 – July 2004
Punto Consulting, San Pablo City, Philippines
• Managed an editorial and consulting staff of five.
• Created and implemented office operational policies and procedures.
• Wrote and edited various environmental impact assessment reports for Ecosphere and Technology Management Inc.
• Edited thesis manuscripts and research papers for content, organization, consistency, grammar, punctuation, and designated style.
• Translated general or specialized texts from Tagalog (Pilipino) to English and revised translations done by others for Diwa Publishing House.
• Provided professional consulting services to clients that included graduate and undergraduate students.
• Part-time faculty staff at the St. Peter’s College Seminary, San Pablo City, Philippines; taught Natural Science (Biology) course to 30 students.
Editor October 1985 – September 1997
Coopers & Lybrand LLP (PWC LLP), National Business Assurance Directorate, New York City, U.S.A.
• Edited response letters and comments to proposed standards as exposed and set forth by authoritative accounting and auditing standard-setting organizations, such as the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA).
• Proofread financial statements, audit reports, and annual shareholders' meeting reports.
• Reviewed and edited policies and procedures that are transmitted to practice offices in the form of DataLine.
• Reviewed, edited, designed, and formatted research response memos, Accounting and Auditing Manuals, Financial Statement Disclosure Checklists, SEC Manual, training manuals, monographs, and all materials published by the Directorate for distribution to both local and international practice offices and for clients and non-clients as well.
• Supervised temporary editors and proofreaders and assisted in the scheduling of workflow
• Worked with word processors in the format and typography of all manuscripts.
• Planned and coordinated with the publications department in the design and layout of monographs and booklets.
• Proofread printer’s galleys against manuscripts.
Graduate Research Assistant March 1985 – August 1985
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Agronomy, Blacksburg, Virginia 24061, U.S.A.
• Gathered and collated experimental data.
• Analyzed and interpreted data statistically using IBM-PC and IBM mainframe utilizing SAS program.
Sr. Research Assistant July 1983 – March 1985
The International Rice Research Institute, Rice Farming Systems Program, Laguna, Philippines
• Handled sorghum screening, identification and selection, and yield testing for adaptation to paddy rice cropping systems; analyzed and interpreted results of experimental data coming from the different countries involved in the Asian Farming Systems Network.
• Edited technical papers for publication in the form of proceedings; wrote and published highlights of accomplishments and annual reports of the Rice Farming Systems Program; developed and implemented various research projects; prepared, wrote, and submitted research proposals for funding from government and private granting organizations.
• Coordinated the training program that included the selection of key speakers and development of manuals and brochures.
Communications/Marketing Assistant June 2005 – December 2005
AWID (Association for Women’s Rights in Development), Toronto, Canada
• Editing/writing/proofreading grant proposals, web site content, marketing & advertising materials, and 2005 media strategy.
• Maintaining international e-mail accounts and correspondence.
Copyholder (Proofreader) June 2005 – December 2005
CNIB (Canadian National Institute for the Blind), Toronto, Canada
• Following print text as a staff proofreader reads aloud from Braille text, looking for omissions, misspelled words and other print-to-Braille errors.
• Reading print text aloud to a staff proofreader, including punctuation, quotations, new paragraphs and other formatting details.
• MS Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat Professional, Quark, Access, HTML coding, SAS, and Lotus Notes.
• Internet communications packages, including leading search engines and e-mailing.
• International House Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Teaching English as a Second Language Diploma. 2010.
• Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, U.S.A. Obtained several graduate credit-hours.
• University of the Philippines at Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines. M.S. in Agronomy, 1983.
• University of the Philippines at Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines. B.S. Agriculture.1975.
• Punto, N. G. and R. M. Lantican. 1982. Genotype x environment interaction for yield in field legumes. I. Peanut [Arachis hypogaea (L.)]. Philipp. J. Crop Sci. 7(2):94-100.
• Punto, N. G. and R. M. Lantican. 1982. Genotype x environment interaction for yield in field legumes. II. Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek]. Philipp. J. Crop Sci. 7(3):137-140.
• Punto, N. G. and R. M. Lantican. 1983. Genotype x environment interaction for yield in field legumes. III. Soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.]. Philipp. J. Crop Sci. 8(1):3-9.
• Screening of Sugarcane Varieties for Smut Resistance. Undergraduate Thesis. College of Agriculture, University of the Philippines at Los Baños. 1975.
• Genotype x Environment Interaction for Yield in Selected Mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) Wilczek], Soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merr.], and Peanut [Arachis hypogaea (L.)] Cultivars. M.S. Thesis. College of Agriculture, University of the Philippines at Los Baños. 1982.
• Uniform Test of High Protein Crops in Seven Locations in Southeast Asia -Terminal Report Under the SEARCA Protein Gap Project. 1976.
• Soybean Varietal Improvement Program of the Institute of Plant Breeding. In: Proc. First National Symposium-Workshop on Soybean Research and Development. PCARRD Headquarters, Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines. 1982.
• Environmental Impact Assessment of the JMH Cement Corporation Proposed Quarry Sites, Access Roads, Cement Plant, Port and Power Plant Project, Provinces of Aurora & Zamboanga del Sur. 1998-1999.
• Environmental Impact Assessment of the Eurasian Company for Waste Management Service Corporation at Barangay Lobo-lobo, Municipality of Magallanes, Cavite. 1997-1998.
• Will be furnished on request.