IAIN C. R. DURHAM
Mobile: 082 471 5127
1988 – 1991 Polytechnic of West London, United Kingdom
BA (Hons) in Design & Media Management – 2:1
Course clients: Hammersmith Hospital, Walker Books.
1982 – 1988 Culloden Academy, Inverness, Scotland
O’ Levels: Arithmetic, Art, Biology, English, Geography, Maths & Physics.
A’ Levels: Art, English, Geography, Maths & Physics.
Basketball (1st team), Swimming (2nd team).
February 2010 – ClareMart Auction Group, Green Point
June 2010 In-house Studio Manager (Contract Position)
• Responsible for all media buying / planning, maintaining schedules and budgets, all designing, layout and repro of all press (local & regional) advertising (similar to handling a FCMG retail account), all internal marketing, electronic newsletters, mailshots for agents’ databases, prepping of all imagery (press, print and web), updating and maintaining the company website, providing re-designed POS branding for all methods of auctions, hosting initiatives on best practices for imagery as well as liaising with all service providers and reps to negotiate best rates. This also included weekly advertising and sales meetings with the Sales Director and MD.
November 2009 – World-Check (Cape Town offices), Montague Gardens
January 2010 Freelance Designer (Contract Position)
• Design, layout, brand development, FA through to print-ready material on a variety of internal & external marketing material across the brand, as part of the Marketing department. This included logo uniformity, extensive brochure translation alignment, designing sales tools for current products for seminars and conferences, collating & designing a standardized product brochure for all existing marketing material to enable the ordering of company branding across all offices worldwide.
September 2009 – MiX Telematics, Stellenbosch
November 2009 Freelance Designer (Contract Position)
• Design, layout, brand development, FA through to print-ready material on a variety of internal & external marketing material across the brand, as part of the Marketing department. This included re-working of the company brand guidelines, stand signage for UK-based bus & coach expo, new logo development for co-branding initiative, re-design of generic banners for dealers / sales staff, product brochures, calendars, service diagrams, CD labeling, posters, stickers & case studies templates (for both web & print). These projects involved liaison with the Marketing Director, UK Commercial Manager, Product Project Managers & Web Development Team.
January 2009 – Psitek (PTY) Ltd, Tyger Valley
July 2009 Graphic Design Team Leader (Contract Position)
• Led a design team of three in providing design and marketing collateral support for all areas of the business, both internally and externally, as part of the Marketing department. This included building an informal brand (for Colombian Telecoms market) from concept through to finished production artwork, as well as providing a comprehensive brand identity guidelines document.
Other projects have included: Researching and presenting on flexible POS solutions for an established product, creating bitmaps for LCD screens, art direction on all internal marketing publications, newsletters, (web) portal banners as well as overseeing training management for junior designers. Undertook a one-colour artwork migration (including re-designing) on all box packaging of existing products as part of cost-saving exercise.
August 2008 – Touchline Media – Men’s Health magazine
November 2008 Freelance/Marketing Designer (Contract Position)
• Design, layout, FA through to print-ready material on monthly main book as well as all advertorials, marketing collateral & trade pages within each issue. This also involved liaison with both the marketing & sales team’s to ensure correct execution within brand guidelines as well as client brief and MH editorial.
June 2008 – ORD Advertising, Cape Town
12 August 2008 Freelance Designer / Finished Artist (Freelance Position)
• Design, layout, FA through to print-ready material on BTL collateral for a variety of alcohol brands.
This includes: posters, scratch cards, decals, tent cards, table talkers, coasters, clothes’ branding, gift box packaging & banners. This BTL work has been for the following clients – Smirnoff 1818, NGG, Jose Cuervo, Smirnoff Red & Sweet Orr.
January 2008 – Touchline Media – Mens Health magazine
April 2008 Freelance Designer (Ad Hoc)
January 2006 – Colourworks Design, Cape Town
November 2007 Senior Designer (Freelance / Contract Position)
• Conceptualisation, design, layout, FA through to print-ready material on a host of BTL collateral for a variety of high level corporate clients.
This includes: electronic invitations, business cards, corporate ID, internal marketing, product launches, corporate & social events, strategic marketing, brochures, adverts, presentations, pitches for new business and some copywriting. This BTL work has been for the following clients
– Allan Gray, Deloitte, SA Rugby, Mergence Africa, MTN, RMB Private Clients, Hospitality Affairs, Neil Harvey Associates, Ornico, FNB, Medicover, Denis & Virgin Lifecare.
October 2005 – Hero Advertising, Cape Town
December 2005 Senior Designer / Finished Artist (Freelance Position)
• Taking a variety of brochures, posters, ads and other corporate & sales material from design through to repro/finished art for agency client base.
This includes: Annual report for Western Province Rugby, Ad campaign for Wynberg Suites (Spearhead Property Group), Marketing brochure & folder for New Property Ventures (NPV), Guest Services Folder for Mount Nelson Hotel, Business cards for Kwezi V3 Engineers
(Africa-wide), Old Mutual Bank product brochures (across all product areas).
March 2005 – Various Freelancing: Advertising Agencies (Corporate ID’s, Advertisements, Packaging & BTL )
September 2005 Publishing (Art Director Contract Publications)
August 2004 – Monarch Publishing, Cape Town
10 March 2005 Senior Designer (Contract Position)
• Successfully redesigned SA Cricket publication from initial roughs & templates to all completed layout, pagination and in-house repro prior to print.
• Designed layouts for 'Decade of Democracy' publication for Parliament. This includes image selection, pagination & revisions to print-ready material.
• Other projects include: Calendar for Springbok Rugby Team & Western Province match programmes & Sowetan Soccer
Oct 2003 – Style Lab, Cape Town
July 2004 Freelance Designer/Art Director
• Successfully executed a 64-page magalogue for the Arabella Sheraton Grand Hotel. This included all image selection, manipulation & prepping ready for repro as well as all design, layout & pagination from mock-ups through to print delivery.
• Successfully designed from concept to finished product: Tommy Hilfiger Fashion Editors Style Guide
• Liaised with several local repro & print houses to oversee all corrections, alterations & revisions.
• Designed & completed an annual review brochure for MUA Insurance, including mock-ups for the initial pitch, all layouts, revisions & image prepping for print. Based on the finished brochure, the client doubled the initial print run.
• Other clients include: Attorneys Fidelity Fund, Asoka Restaurant, Mortgage SA, Fruit & Veg City & Razor magazine.
Sept 2002- Barclays Capital, London, United Kingdom
Feb 2003 DTP Manager – Investment Banking Division
• Successfully structured, promoted & re-launched in-house presentation department across all investment banking areas within EMEA
• Tripled workflow/job requests by raising the department’s profile with ‘meet & greet’ sessions with both graduates & analysts alike.
• Built & established several library sources from scratch. This included providing print quality logos & image and generic slides for analysts’ pitch books, marketing materials & internal documentation.
• Liased with Research, Marketing & Corporate Communication areas of the bank to provide a centralised point for generic information for use in client presentations.
• Promoted the use of pitch book template & ensured all work through the department maintained consistency & Barclays corporate signature in line with template guidelines.
• Worked proactively with team members from several business areas to update & improve content & style of their credential slide presentations.
• Structured & managed the department’s workflow to ensure quick & effective job turnaround and that all deadlines were successfully met.
• Introduced a document referencing system to improve job tracking & workflow.
• Edited & reformatted old style presentations to current pitch book templates.
• Scanned trade articles & internal documents to pdf format for internal & client circulation
• Created client-specific front covers from roughs to final layout & print within Illustrator & Quark.
• Imported charts & graphs in pdf format into Illustrator for reformatting/editing for analysts & bankers.
June 2002 - PWC Consulting, London, United Kingdom
August 2002 Design Support – Commercial Products
• Successfully designed financial/resource reporting for monthly performance for in-house publication & marketing materials
• Designed a Time Management interactive guide within Powerpoint for all Partners & Consultants.
• Successfully designed a research template for internal use
• Provided full design support to both Commercial Manager & Analyst
April 2002 – Deutsche Bank, London, United Kingdom
May 2002 DTP operator- Global Banking Division
• Liased with Directors & Bankers to complete time-critical pitch book & on-screen PowerPoint presentations.
• Scanned images & trade articles into pdf format for use in marketing & internal publicity.
• Updated & reformatted existing PowerPoint presentations using specific company templates.
• Located, saved & cropped company logos to print-ready spec. for client-facing presentations.
• Altered / edited scrolling swf movie within Flash for internal intranet site.
• Compiled, created & proofed generic PowerPoint decks for different departments within Global Banking.
• Managed pitch book PowerPoint presentations through from creation & proofreading to print job submission & liaison with reprographics department.
• Converted both word documents & PowerPoint slides into pdf format for internal staff circulation.
March 2000 – American Express, London, United Kingdom
March 2002 In-house Designer / Internet Researcher
• Produced the internal newsletter from concept to finished publication for Establishment Services
• Produced internal brochures for all divisions within Establishment Services
• Liaised with the external print suppliers; to oversee all corrections, proofs and obtained final sign off on all brochures as well as ensuring that the print order was within the allocated budget.
• Produced advanced presentations & reports for New Industries & European Markets
• Produced Power Point presentation decks for both Director & VP level within client management on an ad-hoc basis.
• Completed critical Market Summary presentations for acquisition, client management & VPOS areas of the business to assist high-level online strategies for all of EMEA.
• Successfully conducted market research with corporate clients & produced analysis to improve service & merchant payment technology software.
• Led initiative to research & collate Internet prospect lists for South American & Pan Pacific markets. This resulted in Merchant Acquisition signing 90% of the top market players within a year.
• Provided full Internet support for client managers all across EMEA, including collating Internet Top 20 merchant list.
• Managed & successfully maintained several interactive databases to measure online coverage, compliance & acceptance for large & medium sized accounts across Europe.
• Undertook & provided full market research, opportunities & billings projection for several new business areas resulting in greatly increasing incremental spend potential.
Oct 1994 – HMV UK Limited (various London, United Kingdom branches)
March 2000 Team Leader
• Successfully led a team of 25 staff at the Richmond branch.
• Drove customer service initiatives at all levels throughout the store.
• Coordinated all POS decisions & managed the entire purchasing & merchandising activities for in-store campaigns. This also included 3 major sales per year.
• Successfully managed several staff development plans using ‘mentor’ system.
(Dec 1998 – June 1999) Singles Buyer/Team Leader
• Was short-listed & promoted to Team Leader of a Grade1 shop from a Grade4, for excellent all round performance.
• Successfully increased the sales of singles within the Fulham branch by 15% year-on-year.
• Managed all purchasing & merchandising activities for singles department, including record company rep liason.
• Daily management of 8 staff, including coordinating team & customer service feedback meetings.
(July 1996 – Nov 1998) Stockroom Controller
• Successfully managed & maintained all return/unsold stock. This resulted in decreasing dead stock levels for Fulham branch by 27%.
• Conducted all processing activities, including full administration, for stock deliveries arriving & leaving the store.
• Managed all customer telephone enquiries.
(Oct 1994 – June 1996) Chart Buyer
• Managed all buying & merchandising activities for chart department.
• Was record company rep liason & had responsibility for all campaign activities
• Responsible for all departmental housekeeping & stock management.
May 1992 - Quadrant Research, Sydney, Australia
March 1993 Field Researcher
• Management/Client liason over analysis & questionnaire structure.
• Face-to-face interviewing using new/accepted methodologies.
• Research/collate field data from business & consumer arenas.
• Responsible for storage, back up & maintenance of project database.
• Political reporting for broadsheet newspapers. Other major clients: Apple Computers, Export Finance Corporation, Westfield Shopping & Glaxo Australia.
• Advanced Illustrator CS4, Photoshop CS4, Indesign CS4, Freehand MX, QuarkXpress 4.0, Acrobat 9.0, Acrobat Distiller 9.0, MS Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access, Outlook & Lotus Notes
• Intermediate Flash 5.0, Dreamweaver 3/Fireworks, Omnipage Pro, & Paintshop Pro 7.
• Internal: ECR & Genesis (intranet & mainframe systems).
I am enthusiastic, optimistic & ambitious. I enjoy having to use my own initiative & respond well to a challenge. My strengths include the ability to communicate effectively at all levels & I feel at ease working alone or as part of a team. I have travelled extensively through Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Morocco & South Africa. My interests include photography, cycling & roller-blading. I am a Permanent South African Resident.