Freelance Book Designer, Business Card Designer, & More
• Supervise in-house Graphic Designers and Graphic Assistants
• Assist in hiring Graphic Designers and Assistants
• Assist in review and training of Graphic Designers and Assistants
• Plan departmental activities within a budget
• Cultivate an atmosphere for accurate and appropriate business operations
• Excel in verbal and written skills
• Effective communicator with a variety of people groups
• Comfortable working directly with customers and their graphic specialists in person and by phone
• Manage the process of producing printed materials, from concept through production
• Proficient in In Design
• Extensive working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat
• Extensive knowledge of long document production in In Design
• Set up, organize and download files for print
• Present color proofs and mock-ups of new designs
• Enjoy participating in brainstorming sessions for new design ideas
• Highly organized and detail-oriented
• Creative self-starter and problem solver
• Work well independently and as a team member
• Quick, efficient and dependable worker, possessing good follow through and a flexible outlook
• Able to design a wide variety of printed materials
• Adept at handling multiple projects for different departments/clients on competing deadlines
Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Communications, Point Loma Nazarene University, San Diego, CA, May 1997
Freelance Graphic Designer September 2007 - Present
Conceptualize and design a wide variety of printed materials, including book interiors, logos, flyers, signage and more, for multiple clients; flow document pages and make corrections as needed; keep projects on schedule by meeting appropriate deadlines; interact with clients in person, over the phone and through e-mail.
Zondervan March 2003 - June 2007
Book Interior Designer
Work with Art Director and Development Editor to provide designs for interior text pages; assist editors with special ETM coding; check and clean up coded documents as necessary; parse and prepare text from the ETM documents; flow pages, produce page proofs, and make any necessary corrections as needed; prepare interior page files for the printer, creating the appropriate PDF files for the printer’s ftp sites; work with and through the appropriate Production Buyer to interact with printers or customers to give direction and technical information on electronic text files; prepare and/or collect all necessary files and documents pertaining to a project for archiving; make page and reprint corrections as needed; keep projects on schedule by meeting appropriate deadlines; work on special projects as needed; plan departmental activities within a budget; design company Christmas card.
Sunshine Community Church March 2002 - December 2002
Conceptualize, design and produce multiple advertising pieces, including a welcome brochure, large wall posters and event announcements; update and produce weekly church bulletin; work with multiple outside vendors to produce other church advertisement; participate in brainstorming sessions for updating and improving church identity.
ExitInfo June 1997 - February 2002
Conceptualize and design marketing and miscellaneous media materials; contribute to high profile design projects; contribute to brainstorming sessions for new design ideas; fast paced interfacing with intercompany sales personnel as well as other departments; supervise Graphic Designers and Graphic Assistants; assist in hiring and review of Graphic Designers and Graphic Assistants; design guide covers for seven quarterly traveler coupon guides; assist in page layout of guides; supervise and contribute to design of over 4000 property accounts; create maps; photo correction; design flyers and mailers to promote company; design forms for company and customer usage; present color proofs and mock-ups of new designs to company President and sales and marketing teams; plan departmental activities within a budget; help design and implement new department procedures; create monthly newsletter and general office duties.