David Wells is a highly experienced, highly motivated award winning Graphic Designer and Multimedia Artist providing creative, cost effective and practical solutions for a wide range of communications projects for Print and Moving Image.
He has worked professionally for many major agencies, production companies and global corporations in a variety of creative roles. David is an experienced team leader and team player - but is comfortable working in a solo role when required. He is used to taking detailed technical briefs and guiding projects through innovative concept designs and complex production techniques to a successful conclusion.
David has a positive can-do attitude with a confident hands-on approach to his work. He is a flexible, creative person who pays close attention to detail and quality. He has a wealth of skills and experience with a proven track record working in a variety of pressured creative environments.
Present - Senior Graphic Designer & Multimedia Artist
• Extensive Client Liaison and Project Management experience - from conception to completion;
• Strong creative concept and visualization skills – pencil and paper or digital;
• Graphic Design and production of traditional and digital artwork for screen and multimedia;
• Design, layout and pre-print for wide range of printed materials;
• Photography and Digital Image Manipulation - stills and moving image;
• Technical and illustrative animation and visual effects for a wide range of video programmes;
• Design and production of speaker support graphics for live events, conferences and presentations;
• Visiting Lecturer at University level for Art & Design, digital image manipulation and animation.
October 1991 - November 1992 - BBC South West, Plymouth. - Senior Graphic Designer
• Design and production of graphics and illustrative sequences for live broadcast news bulletins;
• Animation, graphics and titles for regional weekly half-hour live-to-air current affairs programmes;
• Design and production of sets and graphics for Children in Need and election programmes;
• Design and production of in house printed requirements to BBC style guidelines.
July 1989 - October 1991 - Freelance Senior Graphic Designer
• Specialist in digital graphics using Apple Mac and Quantel computer graphics systems;
• Design, layout and pre-print production for printed books and packaging materials;
• Production of storyboards, models and artwork for broadcast and corporate videos;
• Designer and Art Director for complex 3D computer animation illustrations and titles;
• Graphic Designer for national and regional news and current affairs programmes;
• Design and production of titles and graphics for corporate, commercials and broadcast;
• Live-to-air Graphic Designer for the CH4 Saturday evening programme The World This Week.
September 1986 - July 1989 - Aspen Spafax Television, Bath & Bristol - Senior Graphic Designer.
Corporate communications, broadcast and commercial television and audio visual programmes.
• Business to Business Communications - quarterly financial figures, technical presentations;
• Design and production of titles, graphics and animated sequences for video and A/V programmes;
• Design, layout and production of printed and packaging materials;
• Special effects and animation for award winning medical, scientific and commercial productions;
• Project Management - resource and budget allocation for complex productions.
October 1984 - September 1986 - Freelance Designer/Animator. Leeds and Manchester
• Design and production of wide variety of computer graphics and animation sequences;
• Marketing and running a Manchester based computer graphics facility;
• Computer graphics consultant to a wide variety of commercial and industrial clients.
June 1983 - October 1984 - Telvista Television, Leeds - Graphic Designer.
Documentary, broadcast, sport and educational programmes.
• Project Designer - from client briefs to storyboard, artwork and final edit of video programmes;
• Design and generation of title sequences, animated graphs and diagrams, special effects and titles;
• Art Director for wide range of corporate, pop-promo and educational programmes;
• Managing and running a Logica Flair computer graphics facility;
• Design and production of artwork for printed booklets and promotional materials;
• Lecturer in Graphic Design and Animation for retraining courses.
April 1980 - June 1983 - World Wide Animation, London. - Designer / Animator.
Documentary film and television programmes.
• Corporate Communications productions utilising film, 35mm photography and video;
• Taking complex technical, medical and scientific client briefs;
• Design and preparation of artwork for animated sequences for educational and documentary programmes;
• Design, build and film scale models for special effects sequences;
• Designer and Art Director for innovative 3D computer-generated animation.
November 1975 – April 1980 - Rank Post Productions, Soho, London. - Artist
Titles and Special Effects for feature films and television commercials.
• Production of artwork for 35mm aerial image and 16mm rostrum film cameras;
• Design and production of artwork for titles, animations and special effects.
October 1972 - July 1975 - Department of Visual Communications. Wolverhampton. - Student
B.A. (Hons.) Degree course with specialism in film and television.
• Specialised in Graphic Design and Animation for film and television;
• Major emphasis on practical production for film, video, and photography;
• Work experience as part of a local film crew learning professional standards and working practices.
Conventional artwork: Software:
• Drawing & Painting • Word
• Illustration • Excel
• Calligraphy • PowerPoint
• Scale Models • Photoshop
Computers/technical: • Dreamweaver
• Mac or PC. • InDesign
• Logica Flair • SoundEdit
• Quantel - PaintBox & Harry • After Effects
• Aston, Chyron & Wallet • Final Cut