Summary of qualifications
Proven, award-winning communications and marketing professional seeking freelance roles where my 15 years of experience in journalism, communications and public relations can help meet your goals. The depth and scope of my experience allows me to apply my writing, editing, strategy, and management skills to make any project succeed.
Freelance writer and editor, 1999-present
* Current projects include editing a pharmaceutical newsletter and ghostwriting two memoirs under contract.
Book Marketing Manager, Booktrope Publishing, February 2012-present
* Publicist for authors in nonfiction and fiction genres. Create and execute marketing strategies to drive sales and both establish and expand author brands. Coach authors in social media and event marketing skills.
Communications Manager, State Farm Insurance, May 2008-present
* Virtually manage internal communications team of 25 covering a 12-state territory and Canada. Responsible for executive communication strategy and web/print publishing.
* Concurrently served as Executive Communication Strategist from May 2008-October 2009, both full-time roles. Developed and implemented strategies for upper-level executives in both operations and sales. Work products included communication plans and a variety of ghostwritten content, including speeches,video scripts, and presentations.
* Previous management role as print/web Publishing Supervisor, November 2007-May 2008.
Communication Specialist, State Farm Insurance, March 2005-November 2007
* Developed and implemented communication strategies for regional vice presidents over 5-state region. Work products included communication plans and a variety of ghostwritten content.
Business Editor, Columbia Daily Tribune, March 2003-February 2005
* Managed business desk at 30,000-circulation daily newspaper. Oversaw one reporter and freelance writers.
* Edited and wrote local stories; selected and edited wire copy; managed weekly tab-format magazine.
Bachelor’s in Journalism – University of Missouri-Columbia, 2000
Graduated *** laude.
Major in magazine journalism and minor in English-creative writing. 4.0 GPA in English.
Master of Fine Arts in Writing – Spalding University, est. 2014
Currently entering semester 3 of 4 in MFA program in creative nonfiction and poetry. Independent study with international low-residency component.
* Accredited in Public Relations (APR) designation, awarded from Public Relations Society of America (8/11)
* Board member for Mid-Missouri PRSA chapter
* State Farm Special Achievement Awards, every year 2005-2011
* Selected for Greater Missouri Leadership Challenge, an exclusive women's leadership development program. Graduated 2007.
* Ragan Awards, Top 5 national finalist in Business Strategy Story category (4/2006).
* Heart of America Awards: Bronze, Business Reporting (2005); First Place, Business Reporting (2004); First Place, General Reporting (1999, at daily community newspaper Columbia Missourian).
* Missouri Press Association Better Newspaper Contest: Second Place, Best Rural Life/Agriculture Story – Dailies (rural health care series in the Tribune, 2005).