I am a Senior-level creative professional. I served as Senior Art Director at Electronic Arts from 2002 - 2006, as creative lead of all in-game interface design standards for EA Sports. The balance of my 2-decade career has been spent in advertising, interaction design, branding design and web/mobile design and development for Fortune 500 accounts.
W O R K E X P E R I E N C E
[ 2009-2011 ] Interact Mediaworks
Head of an 18-employee Studio with offices in Utah and Indiana, serving med-tech clients like Phillips, GE Medical, Honeywell and the US Army. Managed a dozen designers, animators and developers on 3D Animation, Mobile App development, Online Learning and Web Design projects. Turned around a failing studio, doubling revenue and hiring talent away from Disney and other major competitors. Recently left the studio.
[ 2006-2009 ] MongieMedia
Operated my own start-up interactive studio. Serviced clients in Utah, New Jersey and Colorado. Clients include Comcast/The Mtn, The NBA, Allegiance and CHG Healthcare. I directed a group of 4 designers and programmers. Work was primarily interactive, with the balance 3D Animation, brand design and video motion graphics. MongieMedia was acquired by Interact Mediaworks in 2009.
[ 2002-2006 ] Electronic Arts, Inc.
Senior Art Director
I was the studio creative head for EA’s Tiburon studio as Senior Art Director, where I was in charge of 10 Art Directors, and all Interface and GUI standards across EA Sports. The studio grew from 50 to 600 employees during my tenure. While there I was an initiator the in-game advertising group. I personally led teams on game projects like Madden NFL, while managing central groups and resources. My hands-on involvement was in interface design, video cinematic production, EA Sports interface branding, and new IP development. My performance exceeded company expectations consistently. I was named to EA’s “TOP 6%” group of high achievers. I left Florida to be with extended family in Utah.
[ 1995-2001 ] EAI interactive
This was a Studio Management position in a medical visualization company that crossed over into interactive entertainment. I led projects in a hands-on role for Disney, Hasbro and Activision. I managed 20 Artists and Interface Designers, and acted as Producer on 2 titles for Hasbro and Disney. I was also part of a 3-person studio management team reporting to the COO in Ames Iowa where we accounted for P&L, etc. Helped manage studio growth from 9 to 50 employees in 3 years.
[ 1993-1995 ] Software Arts, Inc.
I led the creative team at this PC Game development studio. We produced a PC Strategy game for IBM Multimedia and Mattel/Spears Games called 'Power'. I managed an in-house art team of 5, plus contractors for web design, interface design, and motion graphics. We were successful in being acquired by public company EAI Interactive.
[ 1991-1993 ] Hurricane Room
Graphic Designer, Art Director
I formed a design studio with 2 partners. Our chief client was WordPerfect. We produced a mix of print collateral, point-of-purchase, radio and launch promos. Half of my time was hands-on design, the balance of time doing client service and managing freelancers. I left the studio to immigrate to the USA.
[ 1986-1989 ] Craig Wiser
Graphic Designer, Junior Art Director
I started my career in Advertising. My first accounts were for Shell Oil and BP. After two years I was assigned to Esprit Clothing brand. The projects were mostly print campaigns with a mix of above-the-line retail and point-of-purchase. I also worked for Young & Rubicam and Ogilvy Mather RST&M as a freelancer. I left to serve a 2-year fulltime mission for the LDS Church in Texas.
- Ben Eggett – VP Production, Interact Mediaworks [Ph: 801-327-8797]
- Eric Raymond – VP Product Development, Savvi [Ph: 801-298-3800]
- Jeremy Strauser – Executive Producer, Zynga [Ph: 415-252-9555]
- Glen Thomson – Web Channel Manager, StorageCraft [801-545-4700]
- Dale Jackson – Executive Producer, EA Sports Tiburon [Ph: 407-838-8000]
- Creative and Tech team management (up to 20 direct reports, agency, 3D studio, video game)
- Branding, product design and corporate identity
- Studio management as President (P&L, Financial forecasting, Operations, Recruiting)
- Art direction across multiple media formats (Web, Mobile, 3D, Print, Motion graphics)
- Multimedia Design (UX, game design, Mobile GUI, Web design, motion graphics)
- Web & Mobile Development (Usability, front-end scripting, content management)
- 3D Animation (modeling, texturing, animation, lighting, rendering)
- Motion graphics design and editing (2D animation, video post, audio design, video compression)
- Creative pitching, sales, proposal-writing, closing $100K+ deals
- Cape Technikon, Graphic Design Diploma – Cape Town, South Africa
- Ruth Prowse School of Fine Art – Cape Town, South Africa
- South African Military Intelligence – Kimberley, South Africa