HUDSON VALLEY DESIGN
Award-winning graphic designer and art director, digital photographer, and book designer, and High School Design Consultant, experienced with the interior design and jacket/cover design of Trade, Hardcover and Mass Market books. Designer of print publications, advertisements, posters, brochures, catalogs, and annual reports with special emphasis on conceptual design, and sensitivity to client visions, in a collaborative setting. Strong communication skills with close attention to detail.
ART DIRECTION AND DESIGN EXPERIENCE
Bantam/Dell Books, A Division of Random House Inc., New York, N.Y. Art Director
• Successfully supervised staff of 7 designers. Freelance designers, photographers and illustrators.
• Developed multiple cost saving implementations, include the creation of standard design and templates.
• Trained, supervised and provided art direction for junior designers and freelancers.
• Managed multiple, concurrent projects in different stages.
• Worked closely with managing editorial, production, editorial and publisher’s
Office, to foster open communication, and to create a more open dialogue, ultimately creating a cost efficient, effective design.
• Designed book interiors of 80-100 titles per year, using Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and Quark Xpress.
• Member of Super Users group (appointed position). Tested new software and made recommendations for fonts and design applications.
Bantam/Dell Books, New York, N.Y. Senior Designer
St. Martin’s Press, New York, N.Y. Design Director
Random House Inc., New York, N.Y. Junior Designer, College Division
Designed book interiors and book covers of 18-24 titles per year
Freelance Book Designer, Digital Photography, Graphic Design
Designing cost effective and successful book covers and interior designs.
The Bronx High School for Writing and Communication Arts, Bronx, NY, Consultant Teacher of Design and Publications Director
• Instruct students in the use of the Adobe Creative Suite.
• Create and oversee, school newspaper, school yearbook, and literary magazine.
• Created a curriculum, incorporating typography, photography, illustration,
composition, and the use of design software, through project based learning.
• Collaborative teaching with inclusion of an arts based education.
• Professional development with teaching staff.
The Bronx High School for the Visual Arts, Bronx, NY, Consultant Teacher of Design, Board Member
• Instructed students in the use of Adobe Creative Suite.
• Created projects incorporating typography, photography, illustration, and composition.
• Emphasized originality and self-expression, through design projects.
• Incorporated cooperative learning through group collaboration.
Expert skills in Quark Xpress 8, InDesign CS5, Photoshop CS5, Illustrator CS5,
Acrobat 9 and Microsoft Office Suite 2008. Knowledge of Dreamweaver CS4, Flash CS4,
High School of Art and Design, Regents Diploma
School of Visual Arts, B.F.A., Graphic Design
2009 Start Strong Bronx, Student Logo Design accepted.
2009 NYC School Directory Cover Competition, 2 students of 12 semi-finalists.
2010 NYC School Directory Cover Competition, 1 student of 12 semi-finalists.
2001 New York Book Show, 3rd Place, Interior Design.
1992 New York Book Show, 2nd Place, Interior Design.
Start Strong Bronx, Bronx, NY, Consultant Teacher of Design workshops for Abused HS and Middle School students.
The New Bronx Children’s Museum, Bronx, NY, Volunteer, and member of the
Marketing team. Developed a strong successful identity for the museum.