JUDI UPTON cv
I am an experienced editor with excellent skills, together with English Language and history teaching at undergraduate level. I am a published author in the fields of history and medieval translation and also undertake genealogy/family history research.
To use my skills and experience in a freelance role.
• PhD in Ottoman Studies
• MPhil in Medieval Studies
• BA(Hons) in French with Spanish
• Trinity College TESOL Certificate
KEY IT SKILLS
• European Computer Driving Licence
• ADVANCED knowledge of • Word • Excel • Access • Email • Internet
• INTERMEDIATE knowledge of • PowerPoint • web design
• BASIC knowledge of • Dreamweaver • InDesign
• Freelance editing and/or producing crc for academic articles and books on a variety of subjects (1996–2006). Books include: Peter Noble (ed.), La Conquête de Constantinople by Robert de Clari, Société Rencesvals, 2005; Sara Poole, Brel and Chanson, University Press of America, 2004; Coral Ann Howells (ed.), Where Are the Voices Coming From?, Rodopi, 2004; The Military Orders, vol. 2 (see below under Publishing Projects).
• In-house editor at The College of Estate Management (April 2008–July 2011). Duties: editing/rewriting and proofreading course materials, research papers and examination papers in hard and electronic copy; editing online College newsletter; contributing to the development of house style; tracking progress of jobs; liaising with academic and administrative staff.
• In-house editor at Merck, Sharp & Dohme, pharmaceutical company (1995–6). Duties: editing and proofreading technical and marketing material; liaising with Merck’s legal, marketing and publication departments and external advertising agents and printers.
• Editing university prospectuses and marketing materials (2001).
• Compiling and producing university student handbooks (2003–7).
• The Military Orders series, Variorum/Ashgate Publishing Ltd
- Vol. 1 (1993): assistant to editor. Duties: collecting 40 papers from contributors across the world; preparing typescript in Word from various applications; liaising with editor; translating three of the papers from Spanish to English;
-Vol. 2 (1996–7): copy editor. Duties: collecting 30 papers from contributors across the world; preparing and copy editing typescript; liaising with editor;
- Vol. 4 (2006–8): editor. Duties: full editorial role with 27 papers from across the world; writing author guidelines; liaising with contributors, editorial committee, publishers and freelance indexer; copy editing and proofreading (copyright owner).
• New Millennium Perspectives in the Humanities, Global Scholarly Publications, 2002: editor. Duties: full editorial role with papers from across the world; liaising with contributors, editorial committee and publishers; copy editing; preparing crc.
• The Catalan Rule of the Templars, Boydell & Brewer, 2003. Writing my own text and preparing crc; liaising with publishers (copyright owner).
• The Rule of the Templars, Boydell & Brewer, 1992. Writing my own text; proofreading; liaising with publishers (copyright owner).
• Our Illustrious Guest, current project based on my PhD thesis (copyright owner).
OTHER WORK EXPERIENCE
• University Teaching (Turkey): Development, teaching and assessment of undergraduate courses in English Grammar, Reading Comprehension, Advanced English Writing Skills, Ancient History, Medieval Europe, The Crusades, French
• Private Tuition: ESL, EFL, EAP to adults and children; French (all levels); Spanish (beginners)
• Translating: French and Spanish into English
• Office: Office management; university, sales/export and HR administration; book-keeping/accounts/credit control/budgets
• Associate of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders
• Associate Member of the Association of Genealogists and Researchers in Archives
• Member of the Society of Genealogists
• Member of the Society for the Study of the Crusades and the Latin East