Mary M. Cave
Career Focus Proofreader responsibilities with a magazine, PR firm, book publisher, or newspaper.
Experience Summary • Experienced in writing feature articles, short stories, biographies, essays, editorial pieces, press releases, research reports, and creative print/radio ad copy.
• Well versed in copyediting, transcription/editing of interviews, and proofreading, most recently as assistant editor for a business periodical.
• Strong technical command of the English language; familiarity with virtually all writing styles; serious commitment to excellence in the printed and published word.
• Competent researcher, interviewer, proofreader and reporter.
B.A., English, Texas State University
Experience Proofreader – Provanedge Services
• Edit, rewrite, and proofread all articles for business periodical, a bi-weekly publication targeting executives and entrepreneurs.
• Work with guest writers (many of whom have no formal training in writing) to organize and refine articles.
• Assist with copywriting and advertising layout.
• Proofreading all end results. 6/2007 - Present
Editorial Staff – proofreader-GreenPeace
• Completed editorial internship with international publication.
• Exposure included various aspects of publication.
• Developed contacts with PR firms.
• Worked with magazine during its transition from black and white to full color. 7/03-5/07
• Authored several front page articles and covered a variety of writing assignments.
• Additionally assisted with editorial functions including final editing. 2/92-5/00
Writer, Newsroom – UCT Radio
• Wrote newscasts as intern with #1 rated station and 5th most listened to station at UCT. Developed contacts with city officials, congressmen, and business leaders.
• Monitored newswire for national ground-breaking stories and developed local angles.
• Accompanied reporters on assignments.
• Fielded calls from listeners on news line.
• Operated equipment (reel-to-reel tape, switchboard). 2/83-6/85
Computer Skills WordPerfect • Microsoft Word • PageMaker • Ventura Publisher • IBM and Macintosh Systems
Writing Samples & References Available