Innovative editorial or writing position within a rewarding and challenging publishing or technological environment that utilizes my technical and professional skills and my mastery of the English language, as well as my creative talents in writing, conceptualizing, and designing.
Summary of Qualifications
• Seasoned editorial professional experienced in writing across multiple genres, styles, and subjects, including fiction, nonfiction, reporting, technical writing, criticism, essays, and exposition.
• Highly skilled in editing and proofreading with a keen aptitude for online and library research.
• Well-versed in various computer applications and programming, including word-processing, desktop publishing, Internet applications, HTML, and system troubleshooting.
• Authored and maintained official style and usage guides for each company of employment.
Content Support Services Manager – Archipelago Learning, Dallas, TX, 2004 - 2011
• Editor/writer of content for nationwide online educational testing programs (Study Island) for kindergarten through postsecondary with 14 million users.
• Authored and edited company communications, including Web site text, sales brochures, customer relations material, user-targeted newsletters, marketing mailers, instruction manuals, PR write-ups, press releases, and research reports.
• Developed expansion of custom-tailored products for the Canadian market.
• Managed team that handles copyright and intellectual property issues, researches state-assessment standards, and develops international products, including Spanish-language programs.
• Trained departmental members, contractors, and outside vendors in internal toolset, HTML coding, graphic editing, and generalized technical processes.
Freelance Writer, Editor, Proofreader – Cleburne, TX, 2002 - 2004
• Business/journalist/travel writer for diverse companies and publications, such as REO Magazine, Far & Wide, and Yesawich, Pepperdine, Brown & Russell.
Senior Editor – Bestfares.com, Arlington, TX, 1998 - 2001
• Responsible for writing, editing, proofreading, and research for monthly travel magazine and extensive Web site with large volume of daily changing content.
• Coauthored with CEO, Tom Parsons, weekly travel column in the Dallas Morning News, syndicated to national newspaper markets.
• Spearheaded project for daily content on partnership Web site, Yahoo! Travel.
• Authored semi-weekly email newsletter with readership of over 725,000 worldwide and weekly listing of travel specials for West Coast radio stations.
• Sustained media and industry contacts and nurtured new relationships.
Associate Editor – AmeraPress, Inc., Euless, TX, 1997 - 1998
• Responsible for editing, proofreading, and layout of a myriad of products for a national printing company.
• Developed method for editing trading cards licensed from the world's leading manufacturer of professional sports cards.
• Reduced failure rate of products by significant margin within two months.
Honors B.A., English, University of Texas Arlington
Psychology minor (31 hours)