Beverley Jean Sinclair
DURBAN, South Africa
South Africa : 079 665 5065
• Self taught news journalist
• Self taught advertising copy writer
• Self taught news photographer
‘ Layout and design artist
• Sub editor
Throughout my 27 year career, all of these positions demanded a strong ability to work successfully as a team player as well as independently. A high expectation was placed on the understanding, accuracy and speed of the written word. A sound knowledge of the newspaper law was imperative in order to avoid any lawsuits.
June 2009 – July 2010
Click Consult (London and Cheshire offices, United Kingdom)
Freelance SEO copywriter via email from South Africa. Freelance writing services no longer required
January 2005 – May 2009
Freelance journalist, writer, copywriter, sub editor and layout and design artist for various newspapers, surfing magazines and private company publications
Most recent permanent employment
April 2003 – December 2004
Kwana Newspaper, a weekly Durban newspaper
Sub editor, and then editor
Edited a successful weekly newspaper which included some very controversial stories, soft news, sports news, arts and performance news and advertising copy
• Published a successful weekly newspaper which was meticulously subbed by myself
• Managed a team of reporters and office staff
• Wrote controversial lead stories and advertising copy
• Subbed my reporters’ work
• Motivated staff
• Conducted weekly meetings which resulted in many story ideas
• Constantly checked for any possible legal implications in my reporters’ copy
• I was responsible for planning a good balance of editorial content throughout the newspaper
• Was responsible for guiding my layout artist in achieving a balanced layout of the entire newspaper
Pilgrim’s Post, a very new, fortnightly, community newspaper. I worked at Pilgrim’s Post in between my positions of sub editor and then editor at the above newspaper, Kwana.
My responsibilities at Pilgrim’s Post included that of layout artist, office manager and advisor to the editorial department. The owner closed the newspaper shortly after he opened it due to bankruptcy.
April 1997 – September 2002
Caxton Community Newspapers (a group of weekly community newspapers of which I worked on 4)
Senior reporter, features editor, layout and design artist
March 1996 – March 1997
Beauty editor and sub editor
April 1985 – February 1996
Caxton Community Newspapers
Junior reporter, senior reporter, features and advertising writer
Unit B1, Willow House
Oakland’s Office Park
Hooton Road, Hooton
15th October 2010
To whom it may concern,
I am writing to confirm that Bev Sinclair provided freelance copywriting services for Click Consult between May 2009 and July 2010.
During this time Bev wrote online content, blogs and articles for us, following the basic principles of search engine optimisation. We found Bev to be very reliable, dependable and flexible in her work, successfully meeting deadlines and able to closely follow our briefs but also use initiative in order to carefully research and complete the work to a good standard.
I would happily recommend Bev as a freelance copywriter.
Head of Copywriting at Click Consult