Ramin Madani, P.Eng.
#1205 – 7225 Acorn Ave., Burnaby, BC, V5E 0A9 Tel: 604-516-0845 Cell: 778-984-0845
An experienced Control & Instrumentation Engineer with extensive achievements in leading, designing, executing, and organizing project activities for process industries, e.g. oil/gas refineries, chemical/petrochemical complexes, Power plants, steel and copper industries. Applied project management knowledge areas, process control and safety Instrumented system analysis and design for process industries are my fields of interest.
• Process Control Systems: Highly experienced in designing, programming, and site commissioning of Process Control Systems for different process industries for 15 years.
• Instrumentation: Experienced in sizing and selecting instrumentation for process industries e.g. oil/gas, chemical and petrochemical, water treatment and utility plants.
• I&C Detail Design: Proficient in preparing I&C documentation and drawings, e.g. Scope of work, I&C Specification, Instrument Data Sheet, Control Narratives, Hardware List, I/O List, Schematic Closed-Loop & Logic Diagram, and Wiring Diagrams.
• PLC, HMI, DCS Programming: Highly proficient in programming and configuring control strategies and HMI, sequential programming for PLCs, DCS systems in power plants, oil/gas, chemical and petrochemical industries.
• I&C & Electrical Work Breakdown Structure & Scheduling: Fully fluent with MS Project to prepare WBS, time schedule, resource assignment, and updating throughout the existence of a project for I&C and Electrical Engineering design, procurement, commissioning, and documentation.
• PC Skills: Fully fluent in Windows XP, MS Office, MS Visio, Control Valve and Instrumentation sizing software.
Corix Water Systems, Coquitlam, British Columbia Aug. 2009 – Feb. 2012
Corix Water Systems, as the general contractor, is designing and implementing Dawson City WWTP. I am working in the engineering team for I&C system design and implementation.
Position title: Senior Electrical Engineer
• Planning and estimating I&C Engineering activities for detail design and implementation stages.
• Designing and preparing specification and engineering documents of control system (PLC & SCADA/HMI) for Dawson City WWTP , Programming PLC/HMI (Siemens Control Systems)
• Designing, programming, commissioning PLC/HMI systems for 5 modular water treatment plants for NWT (Allen-Bradley Control Systems).
• Coordinating Electrical designs with Electrical subcontractor.
Honeywell Process Solutions (HPS), Calgary, Alberta Oct. 2007 – April 2009
During my employment in HPS, I was working for the Extraction & Tailings Silo of Fort Hills Oil Sand project at the EPC contactor office in Vancouver (Flour office).
Position title: Project Engineer
• Achieved preparation of the Automation system architecture and scope of works for Hardware Cabinets, HMI Screens, Process Control Network, Fieldbus device interfacing, third party systems, e.g. Profibus, DeviceNet, Modbus RTU and TCP/IP, for FEED stage on schedule.
• Established professional relationships and regular meeting with client and EPC contractor team to ensure that the project requirements were fully defined and agreed upon.
• Collaborated with the Quality & Technical Team (QTT) to find out the optimum solutions for specific client requirements.
• Submitted cost estimation level 3 to the client in accordance with scope of works and bill of materials prepared during FEED stage based on Honeywell Experion C300 platform.
• Presented initiatives to reduce the cost of the Automation equipments in the Project Revive stage, which happened after FEED stage.
SNC-LAVALIN Engineers & Constructors Inc. (SLE&C), Sarnia, Ontario Feb. 2005 – Sep. 2007
SLE&C is an affiliated engineering and construction company to SNC-LAVALIN Group, and provides comprehensive engineering services to many companies located in chemical valley, Sarnia.
Position title: I&C Engineer
• Conducted the renovation control system project to replace a conventional control panel with Siemens PSC7 control system for Marysville Hydrocarbon Inc., Michigan, US.
• Prepared process instrument datasheets, installation drawings, BOM lists and scope of work for Butyl 2 Expansion project, LANXESS Chemical Inc., and submitted six weeks prior to deadline.
• Achieved safety work behaviour award and compliance with Imperial Oil Sarnia Cat Creep ULS project group in designing process instrumentation and controls for FCIS rate debottleneck project.
Oil Industry Engineering and Construction Co. (OIEC) Feb. 2000 – March 2004
OIEC is one the largest general contractor company in oil/gas, petrochemical, offshore and energy industries in Iran, and have engineering partnership agreement with Hyundai Group, Total Elf and Aker Kvaerner.
Position title: Control System & Project Lead Engineer
• Reviewed and commented on the I&C detail design documents and drawings prepared by CHEIL Engineering Co. from south Korea for a 150,000 tones/yr EDC/PVC plant, Ghadeer Petrochemical Co.
• Planned, directed and organized activities of the I&C team of the Ghadeer Petrochemical Co.
• Reviewed and finalized migration documents for the control system of the EDC plant from Yokogawa CENTUM-V to CENTUM 3000 DCS and for the PVC plant from EMERSON Provox to Delta-V DCS.
• Conducted designing, programming, commissioning and integrating control system of the de-mineralized & potable water treatment plant to the central SCADA system of South Pars Gas Refinery Plant, phase 1.
• Designed, programmed, commissioned and supervised installation an integrated control system, Simatic S7-400, for copper-melting furnace with Oxygen-NG fuel burners for Sarcheshmeh Copper Complex.
NEDA Automation Engineering Co. 1993 –Feb.2000
As a sub-contractor of Siemens A&D group in Iran, Neda Engineering Co. is an engineering and construction company specialized in electrical, automation and Instrumentation in steel, cement, and power plants.
Position title: Control System Engineer, Designer, and Programmer
• Configured, programmed and commissioned Siemens DCS, Teleperm-XP, for the Heat Recovery Steam Generator (HRSG) and the Heller cooling tower for Montazer Ghaem combined cycle power plant under the supervision of the Siemens power generation group.
• Participated in commissioning and start-up the steam turbine control system for the above-mentioned project.
• Participated in FAT for the DCS system of the above-mentioned power plant, in Erlangen, Germany.
• Designed, programmed and commissioned a fully redundant fail-safe Siemens Simatic 155F and HMI for the Direct Reduction Steel Furnace plant, National Iranian Steel Co.
• Designed, programmed and commissioned a fault tolerant Siemens Simatic 155H and HMI for the Blast furnace II plant, National Iranian Steel Co.
Professional Designation & Membership:
P.Eng. & registered with Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
Member of Project Management Institute (PMI)
Member of International Society of Automation (ISA)
1985–1990 B.Sc. in Control & Instrumentation Engineering from Sharif University of Technology
2009-210 UBC Continuing studies – Project Management Program
2011-2012 Advanced Diploma in Electrical Engineering – on-line courses