ST LOUIS, MISSOURI
Freelance Designer position in apparel industry utilizing fashion and textile design and illustration skills.
LINDENWOOD UNIVERSITY /ST LOUIS, MO 2003 to Present
Program Manager/ Professor
• Teach U-4ia textile design in wovens, knits and prints for Women’s apparel to the Fashion Design students.
• Manage and direct the Fashion Design program at the Lindenwood University.
• Teach students how to research & development of seasonal trends, themes, concepts, color, fabric, and styling.
• Purchase equipments and tools for the Design studio.
• Teach Portfolio class which includes professional technical sketch, fashion illustrations, various professional design layouts, professional cover letter and a resume to accompany the portfolio.
• Established excellent recruitment for the design program.
• Expanded program by retention and recruitment up to 50% by the end of each academic year.
• Secured 3 million dollars worth of Fashion and Textile design CAD software donation from Lectra System to Lindenwood’s fashion design department.
MAY MERCHANDISING /ST LOUIS, MO 2001 to 2003
• Create and develop high quality textile design in wovens, knits and prints for Private brand for better wear and moderate wear for Women’s apparel.
• Manage and direct through communication upon execution of artworks through overseas offices.
• Participate in research & development of seasonal trends, themes, concepts, color, fabric, and styling.
• Purchase artwork for the line and provide print expertise to designers and merchants.
• Approve strike off.
• Research and provide monthly shopping report on the comparative market.
• Collaborate with Merchants and designer to achieve right designs for the line.
• Updated Karen Scott and Valerie Stevens line by implementing new creative designs and embroideries.
• Participate in Business Plan meeting to ensure and support design team on proposal of textile designs for the upcoming seasons to our CEO of the Company.
FLORENCE DEWAN –page 2
JC PENNEY/PLANO,TX 1999-2001
Textile Graphic Designer
• Private brand textile development utilizing integrated hand and computer skills to create designs in wovens, knits and prints for men’s women’s and children’s apparel.
• Created presentation boards.
• Incorporated color, pattern, fabric, silhouette/shape, texture mapping and illustrations to provide prints and other projects exclusive to the JC Penney Company.
• Approved and track lab dips for production use.
• Researched and recommend print direction to Brand Development each season.
• Communicated with overseas vendors in Hong Kong, Korea and India on production issues.
• Increased sales by recommending merchandising of colors in prints through visual acts.
• Provided technical expertise to Brand Development on visual appeal and printability specifications of designs on different fabrics.
• Utilized and developed new art technique and design technology to create textile designs.
• Directed company suppliers to verify the quality of all the print productions.
• Managed four Freelance Textile Designers and trained them on U4ia.
FLORENCE DEWAN –page 3
SGS STUDIO/DALLAS, TX 1998 to 1999
• Created original artwork for prints and approved lab dips for production use.
• Prepared trend presentation boards.
• Created new fashion apparel designs for JC Penney, Talbot’s and Kohl’s.
• Developed and graded new patterns for Women’s Missy and Junior sizes for JC Penney’s private label line.
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS FASHION DEPARTMENT/Denton, TX 1995 to 1998
Graduate Assistant &Freelance Artist
• Helped facilitate fashion draping classes and in professor’s absence conducted lecture.
• Graded student’s pattern and designs.
• Designed presentation boards for upcoming seasons and fashion trends.
CULINARE INTERNATIONAL/Denton, TX 1992 to 1998
• Designed and implemented new ideas for visual display.
• Communicated with company suppliers and vendors to verify correct pricing.
• Maintained inventory record.
• Directed and supervised 15 student workers as well as trained new employees.
CHEROKEE COLOR INC./Edmond, OK 1982 to 1988
• Designed T-shirt Graphics.
• Performed color separation and magazine layouts.
DEWAN FASHION CO./Denton,TX 1988 to 1999
• Created original textile designs exclusively for JC Penney’s private brands to include: Towncraft, Strafford, J.Ferrar and Morro Bay.
CAD, U4IA, Photoshop, Freehand, Illustrator, Solias, Micro Graphic and Window 95 , 98 and 99
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS/Denton, TX
MFA, Fashion Design and Textile Design May 1997
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL OKLAHOMA/Edmond, OK
BS, Fashion Merchandising and Marketing May 1992
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
Received an award for the second best art piece in a Vourtman Annual Art Competition in Denton, TX for a hand painted and silkscreen Chinese inspired dress call “Motherland.”
Published an article about fashion show (“Looking East, Young Designer’s Exhibit Reflects Asian/Cultural influences”) in the Fashion Dallas section Dallas Morning News in Wednesday, December 2, 1998.