I have recently left the position of Gallery Manager/Art Consultant at Navillus Gallery, Toronto, due to their internal reorganization. Prior to my return to Canada I was a Director of Sphere Gallery in London England which I helped to create. My work record includes Halcyon Gallery on Bruton Street in London’s Mayfair, and Castle Galleries (Halcyon subsidiary gallery) in Harrods London. As well as running two contemporary Jewellery Galleries in London, England.
Currently I am seeking a new position in the Luxury Market.
My strong analytical and organisational abilities are supported by good communication and consultation skills. I have excellent skills in Public Relations with the co-ordination of PR/Marketing for three companies and the curation of over 14 jewellery exhibitions and several Art Exhibitions. I have been in charge of the managing, selecting and marketing of over 55 contemporary Jewellers and over 50 Contemporary Artists.
My track record is proven in sales and personal consultation. As well as an ability to inspire trust, direction and integrity with the people I manage and work with. I have many connections in my field, with a large database of clients. I am able to work on my own initiative and especially with a team and am accustomed to managing time in response to competing demands, tight deadlines and meeting targets.
EMPLOYMENT AND ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
October 2011 – December 2011
Gallery Manager/Art Consultant – Navillus Gallery, Toronto
The Navillus Gallery was founded in 2011 by two passionate collectors who have been involved in the art world for over thirty years. In developing their own prolific collection, which includes masterworks from the Renaissance and Baroque periods, to Impressionist and Contemporary paintings, they have developed an expansive knowledge of both the art market and the qualities that make certain works powerful and enduring. They believe in the ability of magnificent artworks to energize a design space, enlighten the viewer and enrich the quality of life.
My work at Navillus included
• Creating and maintaining the gallery’s client and contact list through data collection and categorization of all visitors and maintaining a relationship by follow up
• Development of ‘Sage Act’ Data Base
• Identifying appropriate magazines for advertorial and editorial exposure
• Developed project plans and oversaw ‘Corporate Links’ projects to expand awareness and symbiotic business relationships, i.e. Stratus Vineyards and others.
• Researching established and developed interior designer collaborations
• Researched attendance strategies for Canadian and International Art Fairs
• Contributing to On-line Limited edition print sales capability
• Researched to develop an Art rental scheme
• Developing concept for the leasing of the Gallery for events
• Maintain an awareness of current trends in the Art business
• Contributing ideas for the gallery website and charitable events
• Developed contacts for ‘Condominium Projects’ that are to be built in Toronto over the next 3 years, including their Architects, and Interior Designer
June 2009 – September 2011
Gallery Director/Art Consultant (co-founder) - Sphere Gallery
demo.spheregallery.co.uk Username: Available on request
Located in the Old Spitalfields Market, Sphere exhibited the works of over 50 artists at any one time. The gallery’s curatorial direction can best be described as Contemporary Diversity. Through the mediums of Oil, Acrylic, Multi-Media, Sculpture, Silk Screen and Limited Edition Prints in Giclee and Atelier, Sphere's collection encompasses a vast array of styles in Contemporary Art. The stable of artists included emerging and already established British and international names hand-picked by the curators.
• Selection and management of 45 artists in all aspects
• Working with the Managing Director to put together shows, gallery concepts and direction through primary and secondary meetings
• Co-ordinated Art Fair representation at AAF (Affordable Art Fair London)
• Designed all invitations and catalogues
• Constant communication with press and marketing contacts
• Creation and maintenance of Data base
• Dealt with all client/artist commissions
• Management of three members of staff and 4 interns
• Private consultations with clients, in the Gallery and in their homes
• Organised viewings of the gallery for London’s TIME OUT’s ‘First Thursdays’(A gallery tour of east London Galleries on the first Thursday of each month in conjunction with White Chapel Gallery London)
• Arranged viewing to expose students with learning difficulties to contemporary Art. (Cavendish School, London)
• Maintenance of all sales transactions, client enquiries and record keeping
• Designed and maintained company Website through C.M.S
• Created Legal contracts for Artist
• Co-managed proposals for 2012 Olympics
• Coordination of opening events, including all Public relations
• Maintaining client relationships to ensure repeat business
October 2005 – June 2009
Art Consultant - Halcyon Galleries/Castle Galleries (Halcyon’s subsidiary in Harrods, London)
Halcyon Gallery – Is situated in the heart of Mayfair, London, Halcyon Gallery is one of the foremost contemporary galleries in the world, specialising in original works of art and rare graphics from the finest contemporary artists and modern masters. Castle Galleries located in Harrods is one of the UK’s leading Art Stores, specialising in Limited edition prints, rare graphics and some of the country’s most popular collectable artists.
• Excellent record of sales, single individual sales reaching £45,000
• Managing personal client database of over 250 clients
• Working in conjunction with other experienced consultants in any
• Working to targets and always achieving them
• Personal client consultations in the Gallery and in their homes in the UK and abroad to show capabilities for installation that would enhance their collection(s)
• Working with Harrods interior design department and personal shopping
• Constant Liaison with between Halcyon and Harrods
• Sales transactions and record keeping
• Developed, designed, and implemented sales plans that included
identifying and targeting new prospects to generate sales
• Sales included Rare Graphics, Rembrandt Etchings, and contemporary limited edition prints and originals.
• Maintaining client relationships to ensure repeat business
June 2005 – October 2005
Retail Manager/Set-up Consultant- Johnny Rocket London
Johnny Rocket is an exclusive jewellery boutique in Greenwich, London specialising in work for the music and fashion industry. It opened a retail gallery space in 2005 representing 20 of London’s up and coming contemporary jewellers.
• 3 month consultation in co-ordinating the opening of premises inclusive of being retail manager in initial set up.
• Sourcing and processing of 20 contemporary jewellers for exhibition and sale.
• Initialising marketing strategy
• Implementing appropriate systems such as customer services, client list, and data base.
April 1999 to May 2005
Director of Design, Consultancy, Marketing &Sales (co- founder) – AURUM
Aurum established its international reputation as London’s most ground breaking contemporary Jewellery Gallery in 2000. Dedicated to the nurture and promotion of cutting edge Jewellery Design, Aurum retailed over 55 of Britain’s and the worlds ‘New Generation’ Jewellers. As well as being a retail space, Aurum held continuously changing exhibitions dedicated to charting the creative path of established and up and coming designers who predominantly focused on Jewellery for Fashion.
• Curetted 14 exhibitions for established jewellers such as: Shaun Leane’s catwalk creations for Alexander McQueen, Naomi Filmer’s work for Hussein Chalayan, Lara Boeing 747 work with Bella Freud and contributed to the 1st ‘Runway Rocks 2003’ for Swarovski Crystal, Conduit St, London at ‘Sketch’ using our designers.
• Managed the retail business, representing, selecting and selling the works of over 55 jewellers.
• Formulated the marketing strategy for Aurum, this included establishing links with international press and stylists, and the organisation of successful launch events with sponsorship support from brands such as Tanqueray Gin and Ruinart Champaign
• Constructed Press Releases and maintained excellent working relationships with Consumer Magazines and Dailies, securing coverage in the likes of Vogue, Elle, Dazed and Confused, Harpers and Queen and I-D etc.
• Created & managed Database of over 250 Contemporary Jewellers
• Co-Managed and oversaw the financial affairs of the company. Including day-to-day transactions, long term financial planning and sales/profitability reporting (quarterly to Directorate).
• Development of company Databases for stock control and customer/press mailing lists.
• Consulted on major international projects with Swarovsky Crystal, at their request.
• Designed & manufactured ranges of Jewellery for: ‘Wall’ (International Mail order Company), ‘Escandar’ (European Couturier selling to High End American Stores like Barney’s and Bergdorf Goodman and Sak’s of 5th Ave.)
• Designed pieces in response to private commissions, sourced all materials including diamonds and precious metals and oversaw all aspects of production.
• Researched overseas business opportunities with view to expanding our operations. Consulted with the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry), Business Link, and Trade Partners UK. This resulted in securing the business of a major client with over 100 outlets in South East Asia.
• Designed company on line purchase website.
• Established the PR Division of the company that has represented specific jewellery clients at events such as London Fashion Week.
April 1996 – April 1999
Director of Marketing (co- founder) - ec one
ec one was established in response to the lack retail opportunities for young jewellery designers within the London market. During its first three years ec one gained a strong foothold in the London Market, and at that time a reputation second to none.
• In charge of the selection and sales of over 30 contemporary Jewellers
• Created & managed Database of over 150 Contemporary Jewellers
• Oversaw development of company website.
• Developed the marketing strategy for ec one, this included establishing links with British Press.
• Co-managed all aspects of the business including: sales, bookkeeping, customer and jeweller relations.
• Initiated all public relation activities including open evening events tailored to the taste of our established and potential customer base.
• Co-designed and manufactured all private commissions
Apprenticeship October 1990 – August 1993
Goldsmith Apprentice – Crabb & Forward Flute Makers, London England
• Trained as a Goldsmith.
• Assisting in the re-scaling of 18th century Louis Lott Flutes.
• Training in knowledge of precious metals, stones and manufacture.
• Assisting in client consultations.
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATION
Central St. Martins: LONDON, ENGLAND BA [Hons] Jewellery Design, 1993- 1996
(Created two cat-walk collections for London Fashion Week)
Ontario College of Art: TORONTO AOCA (Associate of the Ontario College of Art) in Jewellery Design, Bronze & Aluminum Casting and History of Design, 1986 – 1990
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY & OTHER SKILLS
• Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and experience in MAC, EPOS, POS and Outlook.
• Extensive Internet experience with Google Analytics and Google Ad Word
• Competent in the use of spreadsheets, Power Point
• Experience with databases, including Access and Sage ACT
• National Vocation Qualification in Business studies. (UK)
• Competent knowledge in diamonds, semi-precious stones and precious metals.
Available on Request