DOROTHY J. BIRCH
118-11 84th Ave.
Kew Gardens, NY 11415
Res: 718-847-4676/Cell: 646-508-1535
Senior Journal Manager with extensive experience in publishing medical journals, from raw manuscript to printed and online journals. Proficient in all aspects of editing and production of Elsevier medical journals (The American Journal of Cardiology, Dermatologic Surgery, Journal of Clinical Lipidology, Academic Radiology, and Alcohol). Experienced in copy editing, quality control, correction, proofreading, layout, and artwork. Experienced in working with editors, authors, advertising/marketing, compositors, and typesetters. Familiar with peer review process. Trained and supervised freelance copy editors and proofreaders. Created advertising imposition. Proven ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Familiar with AMA Manual of Style. Computer proficient.
Elsevier Inc., New York, NY 1996–2009
Senior Journal Manager
• Managed print and online production publication of journals, including copy editing, quality control, correction, and artwork, and working with authors, editors, and vendors.
• Beta tester for coding macros for manuscripts (compuscript/SGML).
• Trained journal managers on advertising impositions and in learning the Publication Tracking System and job-appropriate applications.
• Assisted in the creation and design of Journal of Clinical Lipidology.
• Co-authored style guide for The American Journal of Cardiology.
Churchill Livingstone, New York, NY 1994–1996
• Performed review and correction of manuscripts edited by freelance editors and correction of page proofs, indexes, repro and bluelines, and compiling of frontmatter.
• Reviewed quality of artwork to maintain image of publication.
• Worked directly with authors and editors of medical books and vendors.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, New York, NY 1988–1993
Associate Editor (1989–1993); Assistant Editor (1988–1989)
• Performed all aspects of editing and production of IEEE Transactions journals: copy editing, quality control, correction, proofreading, layout, artwork (particularly computer-generated and four-color artwork).
• Worked directly with authors, technical editors, typesetters, and vendors.
• Supervised the initiation of a new journal, from inception to first completed and subsequent issues for the following year.
• Co-authored the manual for electronic publishing. Trained other editors in learning electronic publishing.
B.A. English; Honors: Phi Alpha Theta; St. Joseph’s College, Brooklyn, NY
Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook Express; Adobe Acrobat; ScienceDirect; PubMed; TeX; LaTeX; Internet; Blogging