Michael has extensive experience in the construction industry and has an in depth knowledge of project delivery, from conception through to design and construction. He has first hand knowledge of the traditional tender model and design builds contracts. With Michael’s experience he delivers projects within the client’s budget and programme constraints. His understanding and implementation of strategies to control project risks, planning, and programming are well appreciated by his clients.
2011-Certified Project Management Professional (PMP)
2008-Member of Project Management Institute-current
2006-Project managed the construction of two x one million dollar spec homes
2004-Worked on a 23 million dollar high end residential project as a Construction Manager
2000-Responsible for building a classroom project for the Government and refurbishing a historic Church
of Latter Day Saints in American Samoa as General Manager/Senior Project Manager
International Construction Inc. Partially owner occupied.
1996-Responsible for building 4 churches for the Latter Day Saints in Western Samoa as Project
Manager, Craig Construction Ltd
1990-Responsible for the construction of 5 bridges on the new Tailevu Highway as Project Supervisor,
Ragwhan Construction Ltd
• Natural organizer and leader
• Strong decision making skills and high levels of personal integrity
• Relates well to people from diverse backgrounds and cultures at all organizational levels
• Leadership based on strong personal values
• Human resource management to achieve optimum results
• Innovative and proactive commitment to operational management
• Quantity Surveying and Estimating
• Project /Contract Programme Management
• Construction/Site Management
• Commercial Management
• Subcontractor Management
• Quality and Risk Management
• Health and Safety Management
• Manage and Liaise with design consultant, Suppliers, Contractors and Customers
• Managing projects and meeting budgets. (Managed up to13 projects simultaneously.)
• Microsoft Projects.
• Microsoft Excel.
• Microsoft Word.
• Microsoft Outlook.
• Microsoft Power points
• Scheduling and planning works and keeping to time table -Using Microsoft Projects.
• Procurement/Negotiating with sub-contractors.
• Good Knowledge of NZ3910, NZ3915, NZ3604, NZIA General Conditions of Contract, and CCS.
• Strong organizational and communication skill.
• Developing professional relationships with clients.
• Maintaining standards to customer and market requirements.
• Employing effective construction methods, techniques and quality control.
• Leading and coordinating the work of construction teams.
• Trade skills in Carpentry, Joinery, Concrete, Block Laying, Plumbing, Tiling, Painting, Light
gauge. Structural steel Framing, Heavy gauge structural steel works, Reinforcing Steel, Welding
Date: 2011- Current
Position: Project Management Support
Job Description: After finished working with Certified Renovation, has not been able to find a suitable position, and hence has been doing part-time/freelancing work as a Project/Contract Manager, Quantity Surveyoring/Estimating, Construction Programme writer (Project Scheduling) and other project support for few local project managers. There hasn’t been much work around after the recession and this scenario has left a huge hole on this Curriculum Vitae
Company: Building Contractor-Certified Renovations
Position: Senior Quantity Surveyor/Estimator
Job Description: Responsible for full tendering process, also involved in full cost and value analysis of the project till final account. Liaised effectively with clients, consultants, sub-contractors, suppliers, stakeholders, etc. Played a very active role in Project Management for this employer whereby lots of processes has been put in place to help the current project and contract managers
Position: Project Management Support
Job Description: Could not find any suitable job and had to take up freelancing with a few construction companies doing part-time work from home, either Quantity Surveyoring/Estimating, Project Scheduling or other Project Support. Usually manage to find an average of 20 hours work a week, which was probably enough to survive.
Company: Allwood Manning
Position: Construction Project Manager
Job Description: Was responsible for the construction of a 4 Million Dollar High End Residence whilst at the same time managing smaller projects as well. Other role entailed purchasing and procuring materials, site work which included bulk excavation, concrete work, carpentry, all claddings, electrical work, plumbing, gas fitting, and other trade services. (Left because the work ran out). Prepared schedule and also helped out in some other Project Management activities. Lost this job with Allwood Manning because there was no work due to the recession.
Company: Self Employed
Position: Project Manager/Quantity Surveyor/Estimator
Job Description: This was a varied role that entailed working on Commercial and Residential properties with regard to interior and exterior preparation-finishing work. Was also involved with other projects ranging from .5 to 8.5 Million Dollars and up to procurement stage. Buy, renovate and sell older houses; and subdivide where if appropriate. Also involved shifting existing house to create more area for subdividing. (I left Wellington to relocate to Auckland)
Company: Futuna Ltd
Position: Construction Manager/ Quantity Surveyor
Job Description: Managed the construction of a 66 Town House Project, from sub-division of land to completing of each individual units/houses. This entailed – drainage and 3 small bridges, underground gas, water and telephone reticulation, roads and paths, concrete masonry work, brick veneer and timber cladding, all interior finishes and landscaping. (This was a 12 month contract)
Company: Devon Homes
Position: Project Manager
Job Description: Worked on up market residential buildings in the capacity of Project Manager, over-seeing the work on residential buildings from initiation to completion (After a year, found work in Wellington so decided to relocate)
Company: International Construction Inc
Location: Tafuna, American Samoa
Position: General Manager/ Senior Project Manager
Job Description: This was a large 2 year project that entailed the renovation of a historic church with contract value of $US 2.5 Million as well as the construction of school buildings with the contract value of $US 1.25 Million
• Project Management Professional Certificate
Project Management Institute
• Studied for Diploma in Construction (Quantity Surveying)
Fiji Institute of Technology, Fiji Island
• Supervision Level Trade Certificate in General Carpentry – Equivalent to NZ Trade Certificate in Carpentry (NZQA Approved)
Fiji National Training Council, Fiji Island
• Keeping fit-Regular Exercises ( Home Gym and Long Walk)
• Reading work related material
• Golf and family activities
• Computers-keeping up to date regarding different work related software
• Just start training for half a Marathon run in early next year