Sami M. Jaber
5509 4th Street South, Arlington, VA. 22204 Home: 703-566-5336 Cell: 703-862-7756
Summary and Objective: U.S. citizen with native Arabic and fluent English seeks to apply experience as a cultural advisor and interpreter for the U.S. Special Forces in Iraq. Current DOD secret security clearance.
U.S. Department of Defense and Related:
• Global Linguist Solutions (GLS), Interpreter and Cultural Advisor, Iraq (Aug. 2008 – Sept 2009): Interpreted and advised on bi-cultural matters for U.S. Special Operations Forces in Balad, Tikrit, and Baaquba during meetings with Iraqi officials and military. Briefed U.S. and Iraqi officials to facilitate a common understanding while training Iraqi Special Forces in conducting interrogations, investigations, special field exercises, and project translations.
• Arabic Language Instructor, Washington, D.C. (Fall 2007): Arabic language instructor at International Language Institute and Diplomatic Language Services, teaching military officers, journalists, and graduate students.
• Host Nation Language & Culture Instructor, Al Udaid AFB, Doha, Qatar (2006): Developed course introducing Arabic language and culture to U.S. military personnel at U.S.-Qatari Air Force Base. Authored fifty page text to support curriculum.
Private Sector Construction Management:
• Executive Manager, Yakout Construction Co. Tripoli, Libya (2000–2004): Managed staff and project execution for Lebanese/Libyan construction firm. Hired and managed staff, directed purchasing, client operations, and billing and receivables.
• Sr. Manager, Finance/Administration, Engineering Co. for Industry & Construction. Tripoli, Libya (1994–1999). Managed finance and accounting staff that handled billings, collections, lines of credit, contracts, and permits for a Lebanese construction company with 300 field workers.
Education/Teaching and Translation
• Teacher/Acting High School Principal; Beirut, Lebanon (1987-1989) Acting principal at a 500-student, religiously mixed middle and high school. (1985–1994): Taught Arab and Greek philosophy to high school students.
• Translator, English-to-Arabic (1985–1988) of press and scholarly articles on historical, political and cultural topics. Translated former President Jimmy Carter’s book “Blood of Abraham: Insights into the Middle East” into Arabic, and a memoir of contemporary Iranian social customs by the wife of the former U.S. Ambassador to Iran.
Diplôme (1984), M.A. (thesis “Philosophical Roots of Arab Nationalism. Lebanese University Beirut, Lebanon (1983–1985).
License (equivalent to U.S. Bachelors degree) Lebanese University, Philosophy (1976–1983).