Creative, strategic thinker always seeking the most effective methods of reaching the desired demographic, via traditional or new media. Fluent in both Mac and PC platforms.
Skilled and adept freelance consultant with many areas of expertise:
Management • Account Management • Media Placement • Advertising Plans • Design • Project Management Training • Social Media Marketing • Web Design • Product Launches • Direct Mail • Branding • Communications
ARABIAN HORSE TIMES, Waseca, Minnesota
Account Executive – Corporate Sales, 8-2011 – Present
Responsible for increasing sales within these areas: web design and development, magazine ad sales, online email blasts, tile ads, and promotional products. Develop advertising/marketing plans for corporate clients.
MICHELS MARKETING & DESIGN, Jordan, Minnesota
Owner / Operator, 2004 – Present
Built business from the ground up by implementing successful marketing techniques to attract and retain clients. Conduct all daily business functions independently, from accounting to sales, with a strong emphasis on strategic planning, project management and creative design. Consult and contract with a variety of small and mid-size businesses, tailoring specific marketing and advertising plans and negotiating details to help them reach their goals on time and within budget. Cultivate and manage vendor relationships on behalf of clients. Develop marketing and communications projects for both traditional and new media, train internal marketing employees as needed.
• Redesigned the look and structure of client’s trade show booth as part of a rebranding initiative, resulting in a functional, eye-catching display that increased traffic.
• Developed new advertising plan geared toward expanding an industrial client’s customer base and overall sales, resulting in a 50% increase in brand awareness and increased sales outside their previous market.
• Created a branding initiative with new marketing collateral for a personal services client, bringing them a 25% increase in business.
• Successfully collaborated with a health services client on building its online presence through e-mail and social media efforts.
BRANDSPRING SOLUTIONS, Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Senior Account Executive, 2005 – 2006
Served as top account manager. Responsible for generating new accounts and developing strategic marketing proposals for new and existing clients. Led the creative team and web developers in turning out compelling and successful campaigns.
• Proposed and helped design a new website for a health services client, dramatically increasing their visibility and leading directly to an influx of new patients.
• Developed and proposed a store relocation plan that caused client to streamline operations and redefine their entire sales and marketing plan, leading to 10% sales increase.
• Spearheaded creation of a client’s new product catalog and e-commerce site and supported it with additional marketing efforts, improving the ordering process and boosting sales by 20%.
HICKORYTECH, Mankato, Minnesota
Senior Marketing Manager, 2000 – 2004
Implemented targeted promotional strategies – including multi-media advertising, direct mail, and special events – designed to inform end-market telecom users about new products, services and bundling options. Played key role in refining the company brand and re-designing its website. Conducted internal training courses and staff incentive programs in support of various promotions.
• Initiated hard and soft test market launches of DigitalTV, resulting in more than a 50% penetration rate < 3 years.
• Earned an Indy Award for excellence in telecommunications for a DigitalTV promotional video.
• Created the Long Distance Elite direct mail campaign, tripling the company’s original sales goal.
ASSET MARKETING SERVICES, Burnsville, Minnesota
Creative Services Manager
EMC/PARADIGM PUBLISHING, St. Paul, Minnesota
Electronic Design and Production Manager
TAYLOR CORPORATION, North Mankato, Minnesota
Director of Advertising
MINNESOTA MONTHLY PUBLICATIONS, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Bachelor of Arts Degree
Morningside College, Sioux City, Iowa
Major: Fine and Graphic Art
Minor: Mass Communications
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA, Twin Valley Council, Mankato, Minnesota
Vice-President of Marketing, 2003 – 2004
Established a marketing committee and spearheaded a highly successful strategy to promote the organization, increasing membership by 30%.