Experienced Spanish translator/subtitler and translation project co-ordinator with strong organizational and communication skills and a proficient user of translation memories. Successful in managing and delivering high-quality translations on time and within budget.
Freelance Translator/Subtitler 2012 – Present
• English to Spanish translation, subtitling, editing and proofreading (native Spanish speaker).
• Specialist in audiovisual translation, including multimedia translation, dubbing and subtitling.
• Wide experience in educational, legal, and marketing texts.
INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE ORGANIZATION (IB), CARDIFF, UK
Translation Project Co-ordinator 2009 – 2011
• Planned, scheduled and monitored translation of a variety of educational and organizational materials from English into Spanish, French and Chinese.
• Successfully developed cost-effective workflows to ensure consistent translations across languages by using computer-assisted translation (CAT) tools such as TRADOS and Multitrans.
• Worked closely with a team of in-house linguists and an extensive pool of external translators, revisers and consultants (up to 15 per multilingual project).
• Developed, improved and implemented project coordination procedures and tools for providing external suppliers with detailed instructions and for keeping track of project milestones.
• Regularly created, updated and maintained translation memories for specific projects.
Spanish Translator/Reviser 2005 – 2009
• Translated consistently a wide range of print and online IB publications (including subtitling) from English into Spanish by using translation memories and creating project-specific glossaries.
• Revised translations produced by external translators and in-house linguists to ensure the quality and consistency of the Spanish versions.
• Edited documents originally written in Spanish according to the IB house style.
• Checked proofs produced by the publishing services department for accuracy, ensuring that documents were fit for publication.
ALBOR TRANSLATION OFFICE S. L., MADRID, SPAIN
Spanish Translator and Reviser 2003 – 2005
• Responsible for delivering accurate and on-time translations under tight deadlines.
• Dealt with a wide range of texts from different subject areas, including finance, marketing, technology, telecommunications, IT and certified legal translations.
• Contacted clients and external suppliers to negotiate rates and deadlines.
• Coordinated and allocated translation and interpreting work to external suppliers and organized work for large projects.
NOVAWORD TECHNOLOGIES S.L., GRANADA, SPAIN
Spanish Translator (software localization) 2000 – 2002
• Localized software and documentation (help, user’s guides, tutorials) for products developed by companies such as Microsoft, Oracle, Dell and Autodesk.
• Used proficiently translation memories and computer-assisted translation tools.
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain 2010 – Present
European MA in Audiovisual Translation
Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Certified Translator (English-Spanish) 2000
Universidad de Granada, Spain 1994 – 1999
BA Translation and Interpreting (English and German)
• ERASMUS programme exchange student at Heriot-Watt University (Edinburgh, UK) in 1997
In-house training: change management, effective communication, stress management, project management.
Other relevant courses, seminars and conferences:
• Confident presenting course
• German language course (stage E – advanced)
• International Diploma on the Usage of Spanish (online course)
• SDL Trados Translator’s Workbench: Intermediate course
• IB Latin America regional workshop for teachers and co-ordinators (Mexico City)
• Business Management course
• Teaching English as a Foreign Language course
• Translation in Telecommunications (course)
• International Seminar on Translation and Interpreting in Healthcare
• II European Society for Translation Studies (EST) International Congress
• Software Localization course
Spanish (native), English (excellent), German (advanced), French (basic)
• MS Office
• Workflow management software: Plunet BusinessManager
• Computer-assisted translation (CAT) software: SDL Trados (including Translator’s Workbench, TagEditor, WinAlign and Multiterm), Multitrans (including Translation Agent and Xliff), Alchemy Catalyst, Subtitle Workshop
• Macromedia Contribute
Full driving licence. Interests include cinema, reading, travel, jogging and hiking.