I am looking to obtain a freelance work as a writer..
Experienced in writing news articles, feature stories, biographies, essays, editorial pieces, press releases, research reports, and creative print.
• Well versed in copyediting, transcription/editing of interviews, and proofreading, most recently as news editor for a The Griffon News and from coursework.
• Strong technical command of the English language; familiarity with virtually all writing styles; serious commitment to excellence in the printed and published word.
• Competent researcher, interviewer, and reporter.
B.A., English, Journalism Concentration, Missouri Western State University
News Editor – The Griffon News
• Edit, conference, and direct the news staff with regard to honing their writing skills.
• Working with the editor-in-chief to develop news content and story ideas.
• Assist with layout of the newspaper content and uploading content to the newspaper website.
Assistant News Editor – The Griffon News
• Assisted the news editor with developing content for the news staff.
• Responsible for developing news content for the news section of the paper.
• Met meet with news staff and would conference with them when the news editor was unable to do so.
Internship, Reporter – St. Joseph News-Press, St. Joseph, MO
• Completed an internship on a daily newspaper as a general assignment reporter.
• Wrote several types of articles including feature articles, agriculture, general interest, politics and business.
• Learned the importance of working efficiently and meeting deadlines at a daily newspaper.
News Writer – The Griffon News
• Authored several front page articles and covered a variety of writing assignments.
• Understood for the first time, the time and dedication it takes to gather information and to write a timely news article.
WordPress • Microsoft Word • InDesign • Microsoft Excel • Microsoft Power Point
U.S. Weekly Newspaper Websites: A 2010 content analysis of multimedia and functionality, Todd Fuller, Missouri Western State University. Convergence and Society: Science, Health, and New Dimensions of Communication, Columbia, South Carolina, USA, October 11-12, 2010.