NAME: Jacqueline Wilhelmine de Klerk
DATE OF BIRTH: 17 August 1957
QUALIFICATIONS: St 10 (University exemption)
Randburg High School, 1975
BA Communication - RAU 1978
Majors: Communication; Political Science
Other subjects: Afrikaans-Nederlands 1, Psychology 2,
German 1, Sociology 1.
Certificate Photography - Pretoria Technical College
Completed courses in Pagemaker 5, Corel Draw 3,
Windows and MS Word + Excell. (Have worked with
Word Perfect 5). Currently using Pagemaker 7,
Corel Draw 11, Adobe Photoshop 6, Office 2003,
Completed course in Middle Management (1993)
Completed two courses in Webpage design (HTML)
at the Internet Solution (1999).
Completed TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign
Language) course at English First in Sandton.
YEARS EXPERIENCE: 28
KEY EXPERIENCE: Journalism, editing, design and layout and translation, first in the private sector, then in the Civil Service and since 1997 on a freelance basis from home. Ms de Klerk has worked on a number of publications in different capacities, (editior, news editior, manager of publication portfolio) but during the last ten years has mainly concentrated on corporate publications, responsible for sourcing material, writing, editing (both in Afrikaans and English), proof reading, layout and design.
February 2009 to date: Managing Editor at International Colleges Group.
1 June 1997 to 2009: Established own company, Lettra Publications cc.
During the past 11 years my work was varied and included:
- Writing supplements on Pretoria (1997, 1998, 1999), Centurion and the Afrikaanse Handelsinstituut (1997, 1998, 1999) for F&T Weekly (now FinWeek).
- Writing of copy and production of Ecological Risk Assessment Annual Report for CSIR.
- Writing of copy (Afrikaans and English) and production of corporate brochure for Centurion Town Council.
- Translation of teacher’s and learner’s guides for schools for Future Entrepreneurs – Afrikaans into English (2002, 2004, 2005)
- Africon – Speech writing and writing of motivation for award, writing of copy for leaflets of different sections. Translation of training manuals from English into Afrikaans for Water Unit.
Editing and proof reading of contract documentation (2006).
Compilation of tender/bid documents (2007).
- Writing fact sheets on National Energy Efficiency Week 2003, as well as a number of speeches for Communication Xellence (7).
- Writing, editing and design of school books (Teacher manuals and Learners’ work books - Afrikaans and English) for Clever Books/MacMillan Publishers – grades 4 to 6, EMS and SS (2004).
- Layout and design of documents for the Mining Qualifications Authority including Policy document, 1998 and 1999 calendar (A2), introductory pamphlets in four languages, Implementation plan, MQA Newsletter, etc.
- Layout of Enerlink magazine, Mine Health and Safety booklets, for Department of Minerals and Energy.
- Layout of booklets on Land Reform, training directory, induction manual and statistics booklet for Department of Land Affairs, as well as editing and translation (Afrikaans into English) of several documents.
- Lectured Public Relations 2 at the Pretoria Marketing College during 1998 – twice a week, and Business Communication at Varsity College during the first half of 1999.
- Co-co-ordinator of four regular publications for University of Pretoria – three year contract 2000-2002. Included copy writing (Afrikaans and English), editing, proof reading, photography and co-ordination of production.
- Co-ordinator of Environs – newsletter of Felehetsa Environmental. Entailed copy writing, editing, proof reading (in English), layout and taking photographs; co-ordination of production.
- Design, layout and editing of Solid Waste Annual Report of Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Council – 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2004.
- Coordinate production of newsletter of the AHI - Afrikaans (2004,2005, 2006,2007)
- Writing (English) and production of information sheets on dietary guidelines (Department of Health).