I am a talented writer and editor able to make complicated information understandable to target audiences.
SENIOR MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS LEADERSHIP SUMMARY
I am an award-winning, insightful communications executive with a depth of experience in the health care industry. My proven success in marketing communications, public relations and social media in addition to writing creative copy that captures readers is second only to my focused managing editor abilities. As demonstrated by creating the first-ever e-Newsletter that delivered a 40% CTR and grew to a database of 28K members, my ability to develop innovative communications that connect with the audience and have impact is shown in results. Overall, I’m a multi-talented marketing communications professional who brings creative business writing and leadership skills to the table backed by media relations, PR and social media.
TALENTED MANAGING EDITOR | Served as managing editor for print and online magazine winning two industry awards; created first-ever “Career Guide” which landed $75K in advertising revenue in the first two years
GIFTED CREATIVE WRITER |Chosen to advise successful leadership life coach and author after successfully delivering copy for client toolkit and web site. Wrote magazine feature articles on health care technology for Health Care Association client
INTEGRATED MARKETING LEADER| Successfully developed, and launched, media relations, social media and PR campaigns for clients including: Cook County President’s Office, YMCA of USA, Boys and Girls Club and American Whole Health Inc.
AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS | Elk Grove Village, IL 2011-Present
Product Marketing Manager, Bright Futures
• Write and manage production of materials for national pediatric grant-funded program
• Write website content for new site
• Wrote marketing plan for new grant proposal highlighting social media launch
INTEGRATED WRITING| Chicago, IL 2011-Present
Principal and Managing Consultant
Champion the creative process, developing strategic marketing programs, writing creative copy and building social media plans for companies, executives and authors. Create programs and materials with consistent client-focused messaging that engage, inform, and develop relationships with targeted audiences integrating across multiple platforms (online, print, social media).
• Launched social media presence for non-profit client; Established Twitter and Facebook presence, actively monitor social networks and engage with users and fans on behalf of client
• Wrote feature magazine article series on new health care technology for health care association client
• Developed fresh, attention-grabbing scripts for client’s annual conference plenary session for President
• Created client toolkit for leadership coach; resulted in new projects (e.g. writing web site copy and advising on new book)
EMERGENCY NURSES ASSOCIATION| Des Plaines, IL 2006-2011
Publication Redesign Award, ASHPE, 2010
ENA Team Synergy Award, 2010,2009
Advance America Award, ASAE, 2009
Award-winning editor of ENA Connection, both online and in print, with a distribution of more than 38K members. Directed all stages of publishing, production and editing including content selection and creation. Collaborated with design team, advertising agency and association leadership to guarantee timely publishing. Personally write copy for product/event advertising, promotions, e-newsletter byline and ghostwrite executive director’s bi-monthly column.
• Launched first-ever “Career Guide”; resulted in $75K advertising revenue within 2 years and increased member benefits
• Increased member click through rate by 40% by developing the first member e-newsletter, with bylined column
• Established first-ever online newsletter; grew member database from O to over 28K
• Served as editor and project manager for National Scorecard on State Roadway Laws; earned national media attention and Industry’s association, ASAE, Advance America Award in 2009
• Repositioned, and re launched, association’s magazine, maximizing visibility and integrating blogs; achieved Industry 2010 Publication Redesign Bronze Award
MCGRAW-HILL| Chicago, IL 2005-2006
Served as an editor of the Jamestown Reading Navigator Online, a reading program for middle and high school students. The program is an interactive web-based reading intervention program that provides diagnostic assessment, online content and assignments, ongoing progress, monitoring and direct instruction and modeling of good reading skills.
JILL LEWIS COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLIC RELATIONS| Chicago, IL 1995-2006
Founder and Principal
Established this boutique marketing communications and public relations agency which provided full range of media relations, PR, marketing and design services to government, non-profit and corporate clients with up to $10MM in annual revenues. Competed against, and won, business against established and well-known firms for clients including: YMCA of USA, American Medical Association Foundation, Northwestern Business College, Cook County President’s Office of Employment Training, Operation ABLE, Aware Health Talk Radio and American Whole Health Inc.
• Managed client PR for Chicago area; resulted in 600+ national attendees at Chicago Fibromyalgia Symposium
• Created corporate collateral for Maron Electric Company; landed client on TV during Democratic National Convention
• Collaborated with Frank Lloyd Wright Preservation Trust’s internal PR to elevate media exposure for declaration ceremony attended by Hillary Clinton
• Completed full-scale 10+ page annual report projects (design, copy, content) for Cook County President’s Office of Employment Training and Boys and Girls Club of Chicago; project successes led to new projects with both clients
• Enhanced image of prestigious equity firm; success of initial media relations campaign led to 10-year relationship that spanned two successor firms
• Created and distributed two radio news releases for the, Society of Critical Care Medicine reaching millions of listeners.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Special Projects Director, Division for Public Education, America Bar Association, Chicago, IL
Public Relations Director, Division for Communications and Public Affairs, American Bar Association, Chicago, IL
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Bachelor of Science| Major: English and Secondary Education| University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Social Media Certification| Strategies on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube| Social Media Magic University
• Public Relations Seminars, PRSA • Journalism Coursework, Mundelein University
• eBook publishing, Business Marketing Association Forum • Harassment Prevention, Emergency Nurses Association
• SharePoint course, completed • Working With Teams, Emergency Nurses Association
PUBLICATIONS AND RESEARCH CREDITS
Contributing Author: Lawyers and Reporters: Understanding and Working with the Media, American Bar Association Section of Litigation. Authored two chapters, “The Art of Public Relations for Lawyers” and “Writing Press Releases”
Credited Researcher: Is Your Child Right for TV Commercials? Sheri Singer and Tom Alderman, Publisher William Morrow and Company, Inc.
AWARDS AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Recipient, Bronze Award, Best Publication Redesign, American Society of Healthcare Publication Editors, 2010
Recipient, ENA Team Synergy Award, Institute for Quality, Safety and Injury Prevention Transition Team, 2010
Recipient, ENA Team Synergy Award, 2009 ENA Annual Conference Blog, 2010
Recipient, ENA Team Synergy Award, 2008 ENA National Scorecard on State Roadway Laws, 2009
Recipient, Advance America Award, American Society of Association Executives, 2009
• Board Member, Workforce Investment Board of Cook County • Board Member, Girl Scouts of America
• Public Relations Committee, Chicago Foundation for Women • Social Media Chair, Streeterville Orgztn. of Active Residents
• Member, University of Wisconsin Alumni Association • Fundraiser & Supporter, 2010 MDA Jailbird Chicago Event
• Former Member, American Society of Association Executives • Former Member, Chicago Council on Global Affairs
• Member, Association for Women Journalists-Chicago • Former Member, Publicity Club of Chicago