Janet Campbell Baker
A highly motivated, team-oriented leadership professional with experience in both non-profit and for-profit environments. Proven expertise in the areas of marketing and communications. Demonstrated success at developing new initiatives and enhancing existing programs. Well-rounded background in organizational administration, the development of advertising and marketing campaigns and strategies, fund-raising planning and implementation, grant writing, sales and revenue generation, community relations, special events and promotions, sponsorship negotiation, public and media relations, and the creation of strategic partnerships.
Written and Oral Communications
Collaborations and Partnerships
Mentoring and Coaching
SULLIVAN MUNCE CULTURAL CENTER, Zionsville, Indiana
This 38-year old history museum, genealogy library and art center serves as the cultural hub of this suburban community.
Executive Director 2008 - Present
Provide executive leadership and strategic direction to history museum, genealogy library and art center. Serve as director of P.H. Sullivan Foundation, supporting operations of the facilities. Oversee all institutional operations, as well as the hands-on development and implementation of all exhibitions, programs, marketing and fundraising activities, special events, instructional classes, workshops and camps.
• Created new 501(c)3 exempt organization to oversee center operations and qualify institution for a broader base of funding streams; this action has resulted in first-time funding from the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS), National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH), the Indiana Arts Commission and the Town of Zionsville
• Secured significant philanthropic lead gift and supporting gifts to fund recent expansion and renovation project, which is the first in the institution’s history.
• Launched campaign to establish endowment fund to support ongoing operations of center
• Developed social media marketing program and manage all marketing, communications, advertising and promotions
• Overhauled basic operating functions including accounting, website hosting, IT maintenance and property management
THE CHILDREN’S MUSEUM OF INDIANAPOLIS, Indianapolis, Indiana
Committed to enriching the lives of children and families, the 483,000 square foot facility houses 13 major galleries that explore the physical and natural sciences, history, world cultures and the arts.
Vice President for Marketing & External Relations 2005 - 2007
Vice President for Strategic Development 2001 - 2005
Director of Marketing, Public Relations & Communications 2000 - 2001
Provided leadership for the institution’s marketing and external relations division, which included the marketing, public and
media relations, creative, public policy, community initiatives, museum retail, rentals and events, and research departments. Also led development and corporate sponsorship efforts. Directed a 50-plus-member team toward fulfilling the museum’s mission, vision, goals and objectives. Served as a key member of the executive leadership team and as primary museum spokesperson.
• Crafted and executed the museum’s marketing, public relations, grand opening and special events plans in support of the opening of all permanent and temporary exhibitions; in 2004 and 2006 these efforts resulted in year-over-year attendance increases of 27% and 10% respectively
• Wrote several, high-level internal and external communications vehicles, including the annual report and speeches for the President and CEO
• Served as institutional liaison to important strategic partners including the Arts Council of Indianapolis, local and national media outlets, Indianapolis Convention & Visitors Association, Indianapolis Downtown, Inc., Indiana Department of Tourism, national museum associations and others
• Guided the execution and communication of an economic impact study supporting the museum’s $58.2 million annual impact on the central Indiana region
• Directed national press announcement of Dracorex Hogwartsia, a new dinosaur species named in conjunction with author J.K. Rowling, resulting in international media coverage valued at over $500,000 in second quarter 2006.
• Managed the museum’s public policy initiatives to engage elected officials and governmental agencies on a federal, state and local level, resulting in a $12.5 million earmark in the 2005 Federal Transportation Bill
THE INDIANAPOLIS STAR, Indianapolis, Indiana
The Indianapolis Star is the metropolitan daily newspaper serving the nine-county, Central Indiana region.
Marketing Communications Director
Assistant Director, Marketing Services & Community Relations
Oversaw a team of fourteen in the planning, coordination and implementation of all external communications initiatives,
circulation sales promotions, consumer marketing campaigns and special event initiatives. Negotiated and managed all
sponsorship relationships and promotional partnerships on behalf of properties. Managed additional sports and event marketing
sales staff responsible for $2 million in annual revenues. Provided creative direction for all advertising and external media
• Negotiated 10-year, $9 million agreement with NBA franchise Indiana Pacers for building sponsorship of Conseco Fieldhouse
• Increased promotionally-generated revenue by 267% by proactively creating unique, strategic partnerships that provided new revenue streams for the company
• Established an event-marketing division and launched a corporate special event initiative that resulted in the creation of two, profitable annual events in their first year of operation
Additional Professional Experience
INDIANA SPORTS CORPORATION, Indianapolis, Indiana
Vice President of Communications
Professional and Community Involvement
• Zionsville Education Foundation; Grants Committee Member, 2010-11
• Lacy Leadership Association; Former Vice-Chair and Executive Committee Member, Board of Directors;
Graduate, Stanley K. Lacy Executive Leadership Series Class XXVIII and Graduate, Opportunity Indianapolis
• Eagle Elementary School; Founding Co-Chair, Youth Philanthropy Club
• Indianapolis Public Relations Society; Current Member; Former Board Vice-President
• Dress for Success-Indianapolis, Hoosier Capital Girl Scout Council, Indiana Sports Corporation, Indianapolis Parks Foundation, Arts Council of Indianapolis, Indianapolis Downtown, Inc.; Former Member, Boards of Directors
Local Organizing Committee Member
• 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships
• 2007 Midwest Travel Writers Association Spring Conference
• American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life, Zionsville
• NCAA Division I Men’s Final Four Basketball Championships
• Big Ten Conference Women’s Basketball Tournament
• RCA Championships Tennis Tournament
• Arts Council of Indianapolis, Regional Advisory Council Member, 2009
• American Association of Museums, National Program Committee Member, 2007 Annual Meeting
• Association of Children’s Museums, National Program Committee Member, 2007 InterActivity Conference
• American Association of Museums, Host Committee Co-Chair, 2005 Annual Meeting
• Newspaper Association of America, Minority Fellowship Recipient to the American Press Institute
• International Newspaper Marketing Association, Presenter, Annual Midwest Regional Conference
• Anderson University and Ball State University, Guest Lecturer, Graduate Marketing and Public Relations programs
• Inland Press Association and Hoosier State Press Association, Presenter, Annual Sales and Marketing Conferences
BA, Journalism, Indiana University