• Experienced in writing news, sports, feature and opinion articles, as well as editorial pieces.
• Knowledgeable of copy editing and AP style.
• Skilled researcher, interviewer and reporter.
• Speaks and writes in English and Spanish.
• Well rounded in the field of journalism. Can write, edit, take photographs and video, and design layouts.
Editor in Chief - The Orion Chico State, Chico, Calif.
• Approved, edited and proofread all articles for the weekly student-run publication.
• Hired and supervised 11 editors and a staff of more than 70.
• Coached editors on how to improve articles, designs and sections overall.
• Organized and ran a weekly editorial meeting.
• Improved and helped revamp the publication’s social media presence.
News Intern - Northstate Public Radio Chico, Calif.
• Selected wire stories that were incorporated into the programming.
• Interviewed community members and government officials to produce in-depth pieces.
• Pitched and unearthed in-depth feature stories for the station.
• Wrote news scripts and weather reports for director to read on air.
• Helped station launch and update blog, and successfully air a simulcast with KIXE-TV.
Managing Editor - The Orion Chico State, Chico, Calif.
• Helped train and supervise nine editors and a staff of more than 45.
• Edited and proofread all articles for accuracy and style.
• Worked with writers to organize, improve articles lead writing and news judgement.
• Responsible for the daily operations of the newsroom.
Copy editing Intern - Chico Enterprise-Record Chico, Calif.
• Attended daily editors’ meeting to select front page articles and art.
• Proofread all articles being published for the Chico Enterprise-Record and Oroville
• Had about 6 articles published.
• Composed sports agate page three times a week and designed opinion page.
• Microsoft Word • Power Point • InDesign • KompoZer Computer • Adobe Photoshop • iMovie
California State University, Chico
BA Journalism - News-Ed option, Minor in Health Science spring 2011