I am a story-driven artist, dedicated to creating art that is meaningful and aesthetically pleasing for the viewer. I have labored to become informed about story not only through art, but through narrative as well, by pursuing a masters in writing for children and young adults. This desire to learn and create motivates me to work well within a team setting because I have an appreciation for others’ contributions and a clear focus on the end result. In short, I understand that everyone’s cooperation and involvement is necessary to achieve success. I wish to be able to grow as quickly, proficiently, and effectively as possible as an artist. While I will bring years of work experience to my next position, I will also look enthusiastically at each project and assignment as a learning opportunity. I come ready to work hard, learn, and contribute in all ways that I can.
LEAD ARTIST, THE WATERFORD INSTITUTE; SANDY, UTAH — 2009-2011
• Selected optimal character designs and environments from concept art and, using Wacom Cyntiq and Adobe Photoshop, developed 15 complete characters and more than 10 different environments for the pilot program Waterford Tales.
• Managed and mentored interns during the summer internship program, including performance evaluations.
• Created and completed eight 30-40 page comics from storyboard through layout to final polish.
CONCEPT ARTIST, THE WATERFORD INSTITUTE; SANDY, UTAH— 2007-2009
• Working from limitations and expectations developed by the design team, created concept mock-ups for all the characters and environments for the Waterford Tales project.
• Used Adobe Flash to create concept character mock-ups for a video game that implemented 3-D backgrounds with 2-D characters.
• Used Adobe Photoshop to create concept environments for a steam-punk themed video game.
• Designed and illustrated in-house newsletters to communicate the team’s current thinking on Waterford Tales, including detailed digital illustrations of characters and environments to foster discussion and planning.
FLASH ARTIST, THE WATERFORD INSTITUTE; SANDY, UTAH — 2003-2007
• Created hundreds of clip art images according to a strict art style guide of shading, inking, and coloring.
• Used Adobe Flash to create characters, environments, and animations for mini-games.
HIGH SCHOOL INTERN, THE WATERFORD INSTITUTE, SANDY, UTAH — 1997-2000
• Used traditional drawing and painting skills to create picture books.
• Created clip art and background images with Flash and Photoshop.
UTAH STATE UNIVERSITY, LOGAN UT
• BFA in Graphic Design, 2007
VERMONT COLLEGE OF FINE ARTS, MONTPELIER VT
• Currently pursuing an MFA in Creative Writing in this low-residency, high-expectation program.
• Instructors have included Newbery and National Book Award nominees.
• Expected date of degree completion: July 2012.
OUTSTANDING SKILLS AND PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
STRONG UNDERSTANDING OF STORY
• My work in the VCFA’s Writing for Children program has given me an understanding of the whys and hows of storytelling that is rare among artists.
• My Liberal Arts background, including substantial coursework in fine art, literature, history, and two years serving as an LDS missionary in Tokyo, lends unusual depth and resonance to my artwork.
A MOTIVATED SELF-STARTER
• I am always looking for ways to get better at what I do. An on-line comic series I maintained personally drew tens-of-thousands of hits and gave me further experience learning how to combine story and art. My pursuit of learning how to paint digitally led to winning the gnomon workshop challenge, with the prize of more then 15 DVDs in art education taught by top artists in the industry. This includes use in lighting, digital painting, comic book coloring, matte painting, character design, each one giving further insight and training.
• In-service development at my last job included additional training in comic book layout, storyboarding, character design, and digital painting.
• Winner of the $10,000 North American Adobe Imagination Challenge.
LANGUAGES AND SOFTWARE
• Near fluency in Japanese (speech); familiarity with German
• Expert at Photoshop and Flash
• Experience with Maya, Illustrator, After Effects, Sketchbook Pro, Corel Painter