219 Parkview Road, Glenview, Illinois, 60025
847-729-2334 (Home) - 773-320-7813 (Cell)
Experience as a translator (English to Spanish)
Logan Square Neighborhood Association. Chicago, Illinois. 1995-present
• Translate the following publications for a non-profit organization:
- The Eagle News, LSNA’s biannual newsletter. 1995-2001
- The LSNA Holistic Plan, a strategic plan, updated yearly. 2004-2010
- The LSNA website (www.lsna.net). 2006-2007
- The LSNA Newsletter. 2008-2011
Richard Henry Lee Elementary School. Chicago, Illinois. 2000-2010
• Translated administrative documents, student material and letters to parents for an elementary school in Chicago’s Southwest side.
• Interpreted for parents in meetings with teachers.
Alimentos Procesados Magazine. Des Plaines, Illinois. 1998-2000
• Translated articles about the food and beverage industries for Alimentos Procesados, a subsidiary of Cahners Business Information, at the time one of the leading trade publishing companies in the United States with 173 publications and 20.3 million readers.
La Raza Newspaper. Chicago, Illinois. 1995-1998
• Translated articles from English to Spanish from The New York Times, Los Angeles Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Washington Post for La Raza Newspaper, voted “The Best Spanish Newspaper in the U.S.” during five consecutive years (from 1992 to 1996) at the National Association of Hispanic Publications Conventions.
Restaurante Mexicano. Oak Park, Illinois. 1996-1997
• Translated articles for a publication distributed to restaurant owners in California, Arizona and New Mexico.
Experience in journalism
Writer. Hoy Newspaper. Chicago, Illinois. 2005-present
• Write articles for different sections (mainly sports) of the newspaper Hoy, Chicago Tribune’s Spanish weekly publication.
Columnist. Tu Mundo Weekly Newspaper. Los Angeles, California. 1995-2006
• Wrote weekly sports column for Tu Mundo, a subsidiary of Latin Publications, a company with a circulation of 510,000.
Managing Editor. Alimentos Procesados Magazine. Chicago, Illinois. 1998-2001
• Wrote, proof-read text, coordinated design with production department for Alimentos Procesados, a subsidiary of Cahners Business Information.
• Produced reviews of the top 100 foods and beverage companies in Latin America.
Sports Editor. La Raza Newspaper. Chicago, Illinois. 1995-1998
• Directed and managed the Sports Section of La Raza Newspaper.
• Wrote and edited general news and features articles.
Sports Anchor. Prime Deportiva (now Fox Sports in Spanish). Los Angeles, California. 1994-1995
• Conducted a weekly two-hour TV program on the tennis circuit.
Freelance Writer. Southwestern United States. 1994-1995
• Wrote articles in newspapers throughout the Southwestern United States: Variedades de La Guía, El Sol, La Voz de Pomona, La Guía, Ahora Spanish News.
Radio Sports Show Anchor. 107.7 Parque Chas Radio FM. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 1992
• Conducted a sports program twice a week.
Editor. Notiturismo Magazine. Argentine Automobile Club (AAA). Buenos Aires, Argentina. 1991-1992
• Managed, wrote and edited national monthly publication with a circulation of 100,000.
Governors State University. Chicago, Illinois. 2008-2010
Middle school certificate for Bilingual and ESL Education
National-Louis University. Wheeling, Illinois. 2003-2008
Degree: Master’s in Foreign Languages (6th through 12th grade)
Northeastern Illinois University. Chicago, Illinois. 2002-2003
Coursework in Spanish and education
T.E.A. School of Journalism. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 1990-1992
Universidad del Salvador. Buenos Aires, Argentina. 1983-1986
Degree: Master’s in Demographics and Tourism
Universidad del Salvador, Buenos Aires, Argentina. 1980-1983
Degree: Bachelor’s in Demography and Tourism
Fluent in Spanish (first language), English and Portuguese. Conversant in French.
• Second place in the category “Outstanding Sports Section”, from among more than 100 publications at the National Association of Hispanic Publications Convention. San Jose, California. 1997
• Third place in the category “Outstanding Cultural Article” at the same convention. San Jose, California. 1997
• Second place in the category “Outstanding Multiple Article Series” at the National Association of Hispanic Publications Convention. Austin, Texas. 1998
• Honorable mention in the category “Outstanding Sports Section” at the same convention. Austin, Texas. 1998