14533 Silverdale Dr.
Woodbridge, Virginia 22193
Hampton University, Hampton, Virginia
Major: B.A. in Print Journalism (May 2007)
Summary of Qualifications
A project manager and writer with over 3 years of experience in aligning technical writing initiatives to proven crisis communications, emergency response, and strategic communications experience, with a specific concentration in consistent and focused message management, branding, market research, and media relations.
Deliver relevant communication products through successful planning and execution by effectively monitoring cost and schedule, proactively addressing issues before they affect the project and promoting communication. Cultivated key relationships with senior leadership as a trusted agent for strategic planning and communications to executives and key stakeholders.
Experienced in developing strategic communications plans to communicate to targeted audiences and key stakeholders about DoD healthcare, programs and initiatives. Write and edits news releases, blogs, briefing slides, fact sheets, talking points, and other related communication materials for use by senior leaders and staff. Highly developed sense of responsibility. Actions well planned, organized and executed. Works well as a team member, independently and able to lead others.
(May 2008 – November 2011) Project Manager/Writer, Irving Burton Associates, Inc, Contractor, Herndon, Virginia
• Served as project manager and writer for the Director, Department of Defense, Office of Strategic Communications; researching, writing, and publicizing achievements within Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force medicine to the official web site for the Military Healthcare System (MHS).
• Researched, developed, and pitched news stories and blog topics for publishing. Constructed various communications projects, including an in-depth tribute to the Medal of Honor’s medical recipients, video scripts, and portfolios related to strategic communication topics (i.e. psychological health, brain injury, etc.) developed, and pitched news stories and blog topics for publishing.
• Attended military health related conferences, seminars and presentations, which were typically followed by interviews with top medical officials, in-field reporting, and writing subsequent news stories/blogs.
• Worked with TRICARE Management Activity public affairs on side projects including creating scripts for online benefit training courses and proofreading presentations.
• Developed project plans and performed technical procedures for updating MHS web site content through utilizing administrative access. Identified products, activities, milestones, dependencies, scheduling of resources, planning risks, and tracking delivery against plan. Interfaced with project and delivery teams by communicating program objectives to eliminate scheduling conflicts and facilitate collaborative results.
(July 2007 – May 2008) Student Advisor, American Military University, Manassas, Virginia
• Key education advisor for college-level students pursing higher education.
• Provided mentorship and guidance to help facilitate informed decisions regarding educational goals and career aspirations.
• Analyzed transcripts, student transfer credits and personal preferences to provide guidance relevant to desired career and education pursuits.
(Fall 2006) Student Intern, Daily Press, (Tribune Co.), Hampton, Virginia
• Conducted numerous over-the-phone interviews with the areas high school boys and girls basketball coaches and wrote a preview highlighting top returning players, newcomers, and season strategies
• Worked with the sports agate programs used for the Sports Scoreboard section of the paper, quickly gathering and inputting information from incoming, live reports of statistics and scores.
• Attended games and interviewed fans for news story coverage.
(Fall 2005 - Spring 2007) Contributing Writer, Hampton Script, Hampton University
• Wrote news articles for the sports, entertainment, and campus sections of the paper.
• Experienced field reporting and writing on a strict deadline. Also worked on fact checking, and acquiring accurate quotes, which were major aspects of writing for a student newspaper because of the proximity and heavy reliance on solid background information.
(Fall 2005) Contributing Writer, 7cities.com, online entertainment Web site, Hampton, Virginia
• Wrote reviews for new albums by popular music artists, which were published on the website
• Contributed internet postings of local entertainment and restaurants in the area.
• Introduced to webpage design, posting other stories and reviews onto the website using administrative access.
Clearance: Public Trust (DoD)
Software: Microsoft Office Suite (Power Point, Word, Excel, Picture Manager, etc.)
Specialized Training: Plain Language training, Social Media Webinar training, Blogging ROI for Subject Matter Experts, Customer Service 24/7 – Keys to Make Service a Passion Not Just a Job, DoD Information Assurance Awareness
Tyrone Davis – Team Lead, Irving Burton Associates Phone: 703-681-1747
Dr. Michael Kilpatrick, Director, Office of Strategic Communications
Michelle Herder-Supervisor, American Military University Phone: 703-396-6873