Date of birth: 8 December 1963
Languages: English and Afrikaans (excellent)
Strong points: I am a media specialist and expert through and through. I have excellent communication, interpersonal, training and writing skills. I have trained many, many journalists – from intern level bringing them up to senior level, to sharpening working journalists’ tools. I am absolutely deadline driven and always see to it that I work ahead.
Hobbies: Reading, researching, writing, photography, travelling, painting, psychology, finding out how things work (from the human brain and consumer attitudes to mechanics!).
Strong points: I have drive, vision and I am mature. The team always comes first. I am passionate about everything I do. I was part of launching Baba & Kleuter magazine and showed a profit within just two years. I love conceptualising. Within 3 months of starting at Mamas & Papas, we grew with 30,5% and in the next quarter with 42% - a record. I grew our Facebook participation with 500%.
Additional skills: Fully proficient in MS Office and Apple Mac’s titles, Photoshop CS5, picture editing, photography and balancing life. I also take pictures, many of which have been published as lifestyle/décor/fashion/real-life, etc.
Matriculated in 1981 at Sand du Plessis Secondary School, Bloemfontein.
• English A
• Afrikaans A
• Mathematics A
• Biology A
• History A
Psychology and Anthropology as majors (Unisa). Other subjects: Statistics, Sociology and Criminology.
Employment history (from most recent):
Current: Managing Editor: Mamas & Papas Magazine
See underneath, plus picture editing and photography. In charge of whole of the magazine. Training of staff.
January 2007 to August 2010: Editor, Living and Loving magazine
* Making sure I am aware of what readers want. Keeping in touch by meeting them physically and staying in touch via social networks and telephonically/via email makes a huge different and is an excellent tool to gage their feelings, beliefs, what they spend money on, etc.
* Training of staff, especially journalists.
* Responsible for content, look and feel of the magazine
* Edit features
* Research topics for possible features
* Responsible for budget
* Responsible for marketing
* Mentor writers and freelancers
* Writing columns and features
* Proofreading of features
* Stay in touch with medical and other experts for our columns
* Visit clients and prospective clients with sales reps
* Attending media functions and seminars
* Styling of cover and other shoots
* Blogging on website and Facebook
* Managing website and forum
* Handling and writing the travel and car sections
* Developing skills of employees
* Making sure the team spirit is positive.
2000 -2006: Editor, Baba & Kleuter magazine
Duties: Same as above, plus managing the photographic department and translating copy (Eng/Afr and vice versa).
1997 – 1999: Marketing and PR Manager, Tafelberg Publishers
* First read of books
* Doing the newsletter in both English and Afrikaans
* Marketing of all books
* Organising functions
* PR with writers and all game-players like outlets
* Web master
1989 – 1997: Senior investigative writer, Sarie magazine
* Researching topics for features
* Interview people for features
* Writing of investigate and other features
1988-1989: Senior writer, Huisgenoot/You
Duties: As above.
1983 – 1988: Senior Journalist and Assistant News Editor, Volksblad newspaper (part of the Media24 group)
Duties: As above, plus translating press releases from English to Afrikaans.
People to contact:
Hennie van Deventer, previous head of Newspapers, Naspers. He has named me as one of the top 10 journalists he has worked with.
Michelle van Breda, editor, Sarie.
Jacky Hefez, previous copy editor of Mamas & Papas
Atiyya Gardee, Jenny Perkel and Pat Torngren (writers)
I will send the contact details through asap
I also did an online writing course, those people will write me testimonials. I will send them on as soon as I get them. It was great doing that!