Hello, and thank you for your interest,
With over ten years of experience as a writer I have honed a variety of skills which allows me to move many different types of projects forward in a timely manner.
I am a conscientious and creative communicator with a diverse background in the arts and sciences. I easily see the big picture while simultaneously focusing on the necessary details required in complex applications.
I create copy for foundation relation communications as well as coordinate grants for institutes of higher education and non-profits. I'm dedicated to promoting causes and initiatives designed by innovative organizations to mobilize elements of social change.
Please feel free to reach out if you are interested in working with me or if you have any related inquiries. I'm located in the Bay Area and primarily telecommute. References and writing samples are available upon request.
Freelance Writer and Editor
• Write, edit and coordinate grants for institutes of higher education
-Successfully procured a six-figure commitment from The Baskin Foundation
Associate Director of Foundation Relations
University of California, Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
• Wrote and coordinated the preparation of letters of inquiry, proposals, and reports to foundation prospects
• Wrote and edited various documents according to foundation requirements
• Managed ongoing relationships and served as primary liaison between foundations and principal faculty and other stakeholders
• Maintained a portfolio with an emphasis on securing commitments of +$100,000, including work with the following foundations: W.M. Keck, Sloan, Packard, Simons, Blavatnik Foundation, and the Dan David Foundation where I successfully procured the $1 million dollar prize
Senior Grant Writer
The Trevor Project, Los Angeles, CA
• Wrote and edited government, private and foundation grants
• Composed, edited, designed and produced persuasive copy for all donor communications
• Coordinated projects with stakeholders in LA, NYC and Washington DC offices
• Worked with a number of family foundations and successfully secured over $800,000 in program support including a partnership with unite4good
The Friendship Circle, West Bloomfield, MI
• Composed, researched, and coordinated grant proposals
• Composed internal and external communication copy for the organization
• Coordinated organizational data for grant and donor communications
• Worked with family foundations to bring in over $500,000 in grants
Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington, DC
• Composed and edited content for online publication Integrity in Science Watch where I researched and provided copy on conflicts of interests between doctors, policy makers and the pharmaceutical industry
• Created and ghost wrote copy for blogs, speeches
• Conducted in-depth research to support publication
WBUR, National Public Radio, Boston, MA and Providence, RI
• Recipient of National Metcalf Marine and Environmental Reporting Fellowship
• Functioned as the environmental science reporter at WRNI, now RIPR.
• Received hands-on science and technical writing training at the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Oceanography
M.A., Environmental Studies
August 2004 - May 2007
• Master’s thesis focused on threatened sustainability of regional fresh water
Ithaca NY; B.A.
Music, Piano Performance; Minor in Writing,
August 1997 - May 2001
Experience and Proficiency with:
Microsoft Office Suite;
HTML, WordPress, SEO including social media strategy and content management;
Adobe, Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, as well as photo and audio editing programs;
Raiser’s Edge, Banner, other database management software;
Various telecommuting and teleconferencing programs